Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Do you play MP3's on your Computer? If so What program do you use?

I have always used WMP as my default media player. I have tried Real player, but really did not like it, and have used Nero's player but found it to be a little to bloaty for me.

Any ways I belong to another website, and they have a chat channel that is used with the mIRC program. Well a few of these fellows are in the UK and they dj as a living, so they decided to start a dj channel. I found it to be pretty cool, and you get to here some different music that you may never have heard before, the other cool thing is they let a certain number of people DJ, so you get a real good variety of music.

Any ways to listen to whoever is dj'ing you pretty much need WinAmp (http://www.winamp.com/) to listen to them. Well today I was just playing my own MP3's and I am hearing things that were completely missing in WMP. I not sure what WinAmp is doing, but I cannot believe the clarity complared to WMP. Anyone else use it?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png

Member Sales Rating: (17)

GOM Player
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Foobar2000, v0.9.5, Kernal Streaming ASIO output.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Winamp...it really whips the Llama's ass!

Been using it since 1996 and nothing come close IMO. There are lots of other good players but Winamp is just easy to use and doesn't make a nuisance of itself.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

+1 for Winamp

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    What he said.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Winamp spent a whole helluva lotta time optimizing their mp3 codec for best performance/sound quality. I'm not at all surprised you're hearing things that you never heard before while using WMP.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II

I use my HTPC to play MP3's. I don't know what the codec is, it came with the computer.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I don't usually play MP3s on my pc, but when I do its the same as above, only ASIO4ALL instead of Kernel Streaming. Easy to use, sounds great, and I love how you can save playlists and then play them on a Squeezebox.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

OMNifi with SimpleCenter. To Carver M4.0T to Polk Monitor 5A's.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Refefer View Post
    Winamp spent a whole helluva lotta time optimizing their mp3 codec for best performance/sound quality. I'm not at all surprised you're hearing things that you never heard before while using WMP.
    Yeah I am still in awe over the quality of it. I had also heard good things about foobar, but right now I think I will stick with WinAmp.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa

I use WMP. Sounds fine to me.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Another Foobar user. My music PC has an M-Audio 2496 soundcard. Coaxial cable out to a Musical Fidelity DAC. Sounds better than expected with hi-bit MP3's.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    I use WMP. Sounds fine to me.
    cfrizz,

seriously try out winamp or foobar, and let us know if you hear a difference. I would like to know if you did.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Winamp for me.
    Big thanks to "Neskahi" !

I'll try it it's been years...use to be a big fan and remember it "whippng the llama's ass" lol. yea I dont know what's wrong with me ever since WMP 9 or 10....I been happy with it's console that I've totally forgotten it's not the only player.

Quote Originally Posted by avelanchefan View Post
    cfrizz,

seriously try out winamp or foobar, and let us know if you hear a difference. I would like to know if you did.
    The difference is slight, and if it's not set up properly(ASIO drivers), she may not notice a difference.

I'll still take Foobar over Winamp any day. I find the interface and customization much simpler IMO. Plus it's less bloated.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I do flac, not mp3, but another vote for Foobar.

I use the stock form and appreciate the simplicity and light weight of the program.

The stock version's interface is very plain and no-nonsense. That's fine with me though, as I don't stare at the GUI when I listen to music.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Eff WMP, I use both Winamp and FooBAR...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thank you Face. You just saved me from wasting time.

How many of you don't use WMP because you remember how bad ALL media players were in the beginning, or simply don't use it because it is the evil empire of Microsoft?

Times change, the entire media players group has made huge strides in improving the sound of each player. As for Microsoft, life is too short to be worrying about who has the monoply is whatever segment of a certain business.

So long as a program is included with the OS, it works & is easy to use, I'm going to use it!

The difference is slight, and if it's not set up properly(ASIO drivers), she may not notice a difference.

I'll still take Foobar over Winamp any day. I find the interface and customization much simpler IMO. Plus it's less bloated.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I use iTunes, which I know isn't popular around here, but it just makes things easier with the iPod and also I listen to a lot of podcasts and I think Apple has the market cornered on that one.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

A recent discussion in Stereophile (Feb 2008) talked about problems with iTunes in its latest version. It would appear that it is only an issue if using USB to connect a DAC to your MAC running OSX. Rather than iTunes 7.5, the makers of the Benchmark USB DAC recommend older versions. (Careful that iTunes doesn't upgrade itself!)

I can't stand iTunes personally: it's just way too bloated for my tastes. And it loads up all sorts of crap in the background that I don't want/need.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I could care less about who owns WMP, I just don't like the interface as much as Winamp. I find Winamp to be a much simple interface and doesn't use as much system resources.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Thank you Face. You just saved me from wasting time.

How many of you don't use WMP because you remember how bad ALL media players were in the beginning, or simply don't use it because it is the evil empire of Microsoft?

Times change, the entire media players group has made huge strides in improving the sound of each player. As for Microsoft, life is too short to be worrying about who has the monoply is whatever segment of a certain business.

So long as a program is included with the OS, it works & is easy to use, I'm going to use it!
    I've always hated Winamp and used WMP before Foobar. Sound quality aside, I found WMP9 a decent interface. After upgrading to 11, I couldn't stand it anymore and moved to Foobar.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkmaniac View Post
    I could care less about who owns WMP, I just don't like the interface as much as Winamp. I find Winamp to be a much simple interface and doesn't use as much system resources.
    DING!

Not everything is so idealistic.

I'll add to Polkmaniac's sentiments the fact that I've been using WINAMP since about 1996. I think I said that already.

On top of that, while WINAMP does have some holes in it, WINAMP is usually patched pretty quickly. But it has no where near the number of security holes and exploits that Windows Media Player has. Also, when Nullsoft patches WINAMP, it doesn't take out the rest of your OS like some of Microsoft's Hotfixes have done.

People use things other than "what comes with the OS" because honestly what comes with the OS doesn't work, is usually loaded with crap apps you don't need and/or will never use and recently, Windows Media Player has been crippled by DRM friendly packages that will just render the player useless. It used to be a pretty tight competition between WINAMP and Windows Media Player but ever since WM9, WINAMP has stood head and shoulders above it. Add to that the ability of newer versions of WINAMP to rip MP3's without the worry of DRM and it uses a pretty robust compression engine. Also, it has a wide user base and there are tons of plugins available for WINAMP to play and/or create music and movie files for almost any format except those which are proprietary.

WINAMP is awesome because when it came out, it filled a need that was there and no one else was stepping in. It's easy to use and surprisingly easy to integrate into other things. I set up 3 different cars with mobile PC's and used WINAMP and a simple keypad interface to control the music selection long before it was cool. On top of that, it is constantly changing to keep up with the times.

Can't really say that for Windows Media Player. Nobody wants to touch that thing anymore, especially not the new version in Vista. Hopefully this service pack due out will fix all the issues with it.

Ehh. For the small amount of use I use it for it works fine. All extraneous crap is promptly deleted or simply clicked off not to install when I have downloaded the new version. I have a small learning curve to figure out what they have changed around & then I'm all set.

Since I don't plan on upgrading to Vista, I don't have to worry about that.

I like the convenience of 1 stop shopping. It works just fine for me.

The new version is the best yet...the GUI is lovely....it's what's made me forget about winamp....it seems to play just fine.......I'm only gonna try winamp for kicks and for old time's sake....
    the new WMP's have been the best.....and can get to rippin a cd rather quickly.....while playing it mind u.
    It can organize your junk in several different formats as well.
    Strawberry aid visual is awesome. I like Winamp...but Bill Gates has got his crap together more than ever before.

If you want to rip MP3's, lookup CDex. It's my favorite ripper, it's easy to use and uses LAME as the compression engine. Very good IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Winamp or Foobar here, usually Winamp. I hate resource-hogging applications. Winamp is more bloated than it used to be, but so am I.

Thread Information