Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hum Noise

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Hum Noise

Hey, I know they said in my owners manuals that hum comes from the ground loop. I dont really get this, could someone explain this to me and how to stop it. The little things that clip onto the power cords that I dont have on, are those for ground loop also. I have a hum in my speakers when watching a movie it is loud. Would a good power conditioner help with this.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Try using a cheater plug. Let's you use a 3 prong cable into a 2 prong outlet.

Can be a host of things......mostly a ground loop happens when there are too many grounds within your system.But without going into every aspect of it,try unplugging one cable at a time untill it's gone.Usuall suspects are cable boxes,bad I/C's,wires and power cords running together,cheater plugs work good too.

Polk Engineer

Ground loops are caused by different grounds, which make a virtual antenna and amplify that nice 60Hz noise. The best way to get rid of it is to get a decent power strip and plug everything into that. Cheater plugs are cheap, but its a good way for your equipment to get fried in a lightning storm.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Try the simple things first. I had the cable company check the ground on the outside of the house where the coax cable comes in. BINGO. As well, they put a gound loop isolator on the coax inside the house. HUM GONE! A good conditioner down the road can improve things. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

So when you say cheater plug do you mean a 3 prong adapter. What are those little things for they give you with your equipment. Are they for this also. I will try to unplug each component one at a time later, after work. My interconnects are balanced xlr cables from monster not best but I hope they would not cause that. I think it is coming from the DVD player. Would a better power conditioner work that I could plug all my epuipment into. Right now I have my amp in one outlet and my sub into another outlet and the rest of my gear into a monster not so good surge protector. Thanks for your hepl.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I have found that the coaxial cable for video usually causes a GL problem. When I plugged my co-as into the same power conditioner I was using, it solved the problem.
    V
    Let me tell you something about life, around every corner monsters await. I know, I am one.

If I owned hell and this place, I would rent this place out and live in hell.

Mains: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
    Preamp: Modwright SWL9.0SE
    Amps: Butler TBD2250, PS Audio Trio
    PrePro: Cary Cinema 6, Outlaw 990
    DAC: Benchmark DAC1
    Universal Player: Denon 2900
    Cables: StraightWire Encore II, Kimber Hero, Audioquest Type 4, CV-8, Columbia DBS
    Power Conditioner: Belkin PF60

Thanks all, My problem seems to intermitant. I went and got some three prong adapters. Went home turned on everything even same movie was watching night before. Now I have no hum. I dont get this would it be thier all the time if it were a ground loop issue. It was loud when it was doing it. My wife heard it and she uaually dont say anything about that stuff. What ekse could it be.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Is the hum prevelent no matter what source you are using, e.g. turntable, CDP, tape deck, etc.?

Right now I have the cable box hooked up and the DVD player. I had a VCR hooked up but took it out when set up a new stand. It did do it with the cable box and DVD.

Thread Information