Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Default 50 Hz spike / causes?

I am getting a 50 Hz spike that's high enough to have an audible distraction coming from my sub woofer. What I would like to know from those in the know is...

1 - what are the possible causes?
    2 - what can I do to improve the spike without resorting to a graphic EQ continuously in the loop?
    3 - Can I change the "Q" in the parametric EQ via the Velodyne SMS-1 to help with this spike?

I had the same thing with the last sub I had which was the Polk PSW1000 and I currently have the spike with the VMPS larger sub powered by a M1.0t, fed by the SMS-1 as well. 12x14' room, V shaped ceilings running the length of the room, VMPS on marble tile over a rug, placed in the left corner of the rig. Here's a couple of pic's....

All equipment must remain on this wall due to space constraints, so I may have no choice but to put up with it. I don't know, that's why I'm asking those in the know.

I have experimented with a 12db drop at 50Hz on the graphic EQ as well as a drop as far as the SMS-1 will allow and the spike is still effecting a flat frequency curve. Before I go screwing with anything, does anybody have any advice?
    Last edited by treitz3; 03-28-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added some info.....
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Room gain can throw things off. If the sub has a parametric setting you may be able knock that bump out. Room placement could certainly help, but I have shared the same space limitations.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (0)

acoustic room treatments should help tame the spike. My B&K has a "notch filter" that allows me to treat the same problem in my room. But I guess that's kind of an equalizer.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

GV#27

If it is a narrow spike it may be a room mode resulting from the corner placement of the sub.If you can't move the sub to a different location then yes using a parametric EQ set to its narrowest bandwidth and appropriate amount of attenuation should improve matters.I have a similar problem around 50 hz in my room and using a single band of parametric EQ to notch out the peak does the trick.

Edit.Oops sorry Ben I should have read your post before typing ,you already covered it.
    Last edited by GV#27; 03-28-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Is a spike 50Hz common?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Is a spike 50Hz common?
    It depends on the the dimensions of the room and the location of the speaker there in.Google room modes and you should find some good info.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Brian has an adjustment you can do to the Larger to adjust for things like this

Give him an email.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Tom, were you able to fix the spike? Also, I think it is a VERY BAD IDEA to place your sub amp ON the sub.....
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Member Sales Rating: (47)

take the grills off of those tylers' ;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    Also, I think it is a VERY BAD IDEA to place your sub amp ON the sub.....
    Why?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    Why?
    ~V-I-B-R-A-T-I-O-N~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

That VMPS sub is built like a tank and it ain't gonna vibrate. And even if it does, so what? Most subwoofers use plate amps and the vibration is not a major factor, so placing an external amp on top of a sub will be even less of an issue.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Wabbit is a friend of Tom's.

engtaz

Thread Information