Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thumbs up Opinions on 2 or 3 channel power amps wanted

I have an LSI system on the go right now (still waiting for some funds for the lsic), but I am forced to run them on a Yahamah rxv1800 for the time being. However, I AM sure that my LSI15 will benefit from separate power amp and will add it my setup as soon as the cash flows (why is there always so much ebb???). There are a lot of different manufacterers I have considered (Rotel, NAD, Parasound, Adcom, etc).
    If anybody could share their experiences with their amps (overall sound characteristics, price, performance, etc) and give a price range that would be quite helpful in giving my constant ebay scouring some guidance for that killer deal. I would like to drive my LSI15 with his amp if it is two channel, but have toyed with a 3 channel (are their many 3 channel amps out there?)
    I am young and bound by my shrinking bank account, and ever-swelling credit card, but I am hoping some of you more experienced audio nuts can save me a few steps in the trial and error, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade process that many experience.....
    Any comments would help, first thread so be kind...
    Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Bang for the buck I like Adcom's. Don't get too hung on watts. LSI's are 4ohms so even a good 100wpc amp will put out more like 150wpc. I'm nuts so I like to go big on amps. Three channels are hard to find, but can be had. I would suggest getting either a nice 2 channel, or a nice 5 channel.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (19)

The answers usually depend on how you listen. For instance, if your system is primarily for home theater and/or multichannel music, then buy a 5-channel amp. If you listen more to music than HT in 2-channel mode, then buy a 2-channel amp. For a used amp, budget $500 minimum for either option.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I would suggest something different. Your funds are limited and a swelling credit card is not healthy to someone going back to school as I think you posted elsewhere.

Save your money and pay cash for audio equipment. While you are saving, you can audition many amps, listen and find the "sound" you are looking for. And it is free!! Once you have several hundred dollars saved, you can walk into a place confidently and buy some gear and make a decision based on what you hear not what you read. This audio addiction can be an expensive hobby and if you buy an amp you find you don't like, you sell it and get pennies back for your dollars. Yet still have the credit card debt.

I'm not anti credit card at all. Using it to finance a hobby can be dangerous. Trust me, I've been down that road as I'm sure others have been.

Hawkeye
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

After treating myself to the LSI15's, and LSI'7, plus my receiver, and CSI center, even I am unable to justify any more big expenses right now. I am hoping to dupe somebody into buying me a LSIc for a birthday gift, but even my charm has its limits:D
    I listen to alot of music, and alot of movies, probably a hair more on movies and games. Right now I am happy with how my receiver is handling the rears and center (Though I am sure there would be a substantial improvement running a power amp to them). I am leaning towards a 2 channel amp, but my main problem is a live in a podunk town when it comes to mid to high end electronics (very limited in selection) so it makes it very hard to audtion stuff. My boss swears by bryston amps and the do sound amazing (though I am listen to it on Martin Logans w/ some of the nicest inter connects and cables money can by. I like a warmer sound, with nice full bass. Right now I am a little unhappy with how the LSI15's handle the low end; not very punchy and lacks control. I will be biamping them shortly (not expecting much maybe a bit more control in demanding passages). Any Rotel fans out there, or are they just so, so??
    Thanks for the advice so far

Member Sales Rating: (16)

A week ago, I was in the same situation trying to decide on an amp. I don't have any place local I can go to audition amps (especially since my Polks are an older model). There's really no way I could hear how an amp would sound in my system. I looked at the same manufacturers you have and read reviews. It seems that most reviews on all of the amps I looked at are positive with a few scattered negatives. I came to the conclusion that the only way to really find out if I liked an amp was to try it in MY system. Buying used has been recommended by others on this forum because if you don't like what you bought, you can usually resell it and not take a big hit in the wallet. I went for a used Adcom 5-channel for my first entry into separates. Watch audiogon.com as well. There are real bargains that pop up from time to time. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Bang for the buck I like Adcom's. Don't get too hung on watts. LSI's are 4ohms so even a good 100wpc amp will put out more like 150wpc. I'm nuts so I like to go big on amps. Three channels are hard to find, but can be had. I would suggest getting either a nice 2 channel, or a nice 5 channel.
    I agree tough to beat the Adcoms for the money. There are beter amps out there like Bryston, but usully at 3-5x the price.

dpowell, how is that adcom working out for ya? Big change from a receiver?
    -------------[The Ever-Evolving System -------------

LSI15's (PNF Symphony cabels, modded X-Over and subs), LSIC, LSI7's, Rega Apollo CDP (PNF ICON ICs, modified PS cct.), Yamaha RXV-1700 w/ ipod dock, B&K REF200.2 (fronts) Samsung BDP-1600, XBOX360, Patriot Box Office Media Player, 42" Samsung LCD.

Sorry, realized your amp is en route..... Let me know if she sings for ya
    -------------[The Ever-Evolving System -------------

LSI15's (PNF Symphony cabels, modded X-Over and subs), LSIC, LSI7's, Rega Apollo CDP (PNF ICON ICs, modified PS cct.), Yamaha RXV-1700 w/ ipod dock, B&K REF200.2 (fronts) Samsung BDP-1600, XBOX360, Patriot Box Office Media Player, 42" Samsung LCD.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

ML/Bryston setup would be hard to beat with any LSi/amp combo. You will notice more bass control with a nice amp, but biamping is a waste IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Jer.War View Post
    Sorry, realized your amp is en route..... Let me know if she sings for ya
    Will do. I'm certainly expecting a difference (not sure what that translates into quite yet). :D

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I am pretty sure you will fall in Love with that amp when you get it.

engtaz

Thread Information