Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SDA 1C's

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default SDA 1C's

Here's a pair of 1C's listed on e-bay. The seller states condition is good to great. Well, look at the pics, the cabs are falling apart-LOL.

My question is are the oak end caps glued on? I need to give one of my end caps a little TLC and I was wondering how they are attached.

This guy is nuts if he thinks he can get that price for these good to great condition 1C's. Notice the side panels are pulling away as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-SDA-1...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I am loving his speaker description as well....

Condition: These speakers are in good to great overall condition. The right speaker top wooden cover is off and it has a couple tears in on the top right side, the left side cover also needs to be glued back on. The left speaker is intact.
    Last edited by McLoki; 05-10-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: remove incorrect info.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (8)

H9. It looks like the tops a held on with 4 @ 1 1/2" staples and a little glue. I would bet the amount of glue used varies.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Scott is correct, the caps on the 1C's are glued and stapled. From the back, insert a thin bladed pry bar tool, hit with a hammer and carefully work it in while prying.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by MillerLiteScott View Post
    H9. It looks like the tops a held on with 4 @ 1 1/2" staples and a little glue. I would bet the amount of glue used varies.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Scott is correct, the caps on the 1C's are glued and stapled. From the back, insert a thin bladed pry bar tool, hit with a hammer and carefully work it in while prying.
    Thanks

I assume the staples are inserted before they put the laminate on the end cap. My issue is somehow during the past torrential down pour the carpet on the outer wall of my living room got wet underneath where the right SDA sits. I didn't even realize it because it's along the base board and only comes out into the room about a 10 inches and unless you kneel down or walk over in that area of the carpet I had no idea.

From the slight dampness the particle board swelled a bit and the laminate is pulling away from the surface. Purely cosmetic, but I'd like to try and do something to fix it.

Any ideas

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

H9. I think they are staple from the inside. I could be wrong.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Quote Originally Posted by MillerLiteScott View Post
    H9. I think they are staple from the inside. I could be wrong.
    Ok, makes more sense.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Right, from the inside.

If the wood veneer is lifting because the particleboard has swollen, there's really nothing that can be done to repair that, short of making new end caps.
    Last edited by F1nut; 05-10-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Making new endcaps is not a big deal. You can use plywood to make the cap. The plywood can be attached with screws from the inside once the PR is removed to allow access.

You can buy vaneer of the correct width in rolls from Woodworker Source etc. You attach it with good old contact cement from Ace Hardware. They sell a cool yellow plastic/razor knife blade trimming tool that you will use to make the vaneer edges perfect. The unknown is the amount of time it will take to separate the old cap and clean up the bottom cabinet surface.

I recovered my oak plywood caps on my 2Bs with mahogany vaneer. They look sooo much better and it didn't take too long.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by dcmeigs View Post
    They sell a cool yellow plastic/razor knife blade trimming tool that you will use to make the vaneer edges perfect. The unknown is the amount of time it will take to separate the old cap and clean up the bottom cabinet surface.

I recovered my oak plywood caps on my 2Bs with mahogany vaneer. They look sooo much better and it didn't take too long.
    A router with a fresh/sharp laminate trimmer bit also works great for timming the veneer, especially around the front radii of the caps.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Here's a pair of 1C's listed on e-bay. The seller states condition is good to great. Well, look at the pics, the cabs are falling apart-LOL.
    I emailed the seller and told him that his price is way off.

His response:

I agree.. They are on consignment.. I have to list first time the way the customer wants and revisit the price if they are relisted..
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information