Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Classic adcom 565 problem/leaky caps.Being repaired

Here is the update on my 565 monoblocks.I sent them to jersey city to a place called EbcElectronics to be repaired.I got a update today that one is fixed and is now being tested. The email says: Replaced-capacitors,IC101, corroded/damaged parts on input/driver board. I just hope the boards arent damaged.The repair warranty is only 30days.The second amp will probably be taken care of monday.The repair is going to cost $375.00 for both.Plus $130.00+ for shipping.The good part is that I dont have to pay untill I get them back and get to listen to them.Hey ben,if you read this what do you think since you have hands on experience with this problem? I just hope this isnt a temp fix.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by fbm211 View Post
    Here is the update on my 565 monoblocks.I sent them to jersey city to a place called EbcElectronics to be repaired.I got a update today that one is fixed and is now being tested. The email says: Replaced-capacitors,IC101, corroded/damaged parts on input/driver board. I just hope the boards arent damaged.The repair warranty is only 30days.The second amp will probably be taken care of monday.The repair is going to cost $375.00 for both.Plus $130.00+ for shipping.The good part is that I dont have to pay untill I get them back and get to listen to them.Hey ben,if you read this what do you think since you have hands on experience with this problem? I just hope this isnt a temp fix.

I have done this same repair on my 565's, and my 585. Make sure they replace ALL FIVE caps on the input board. Make sure that they understand that we (you, and I) will be testing for DC offset when you get them back. If this is done properly I wouldn't be surprised if you got 20 years more out of them. Where are you located at? , And WHY didn't you contact me first
    Actually that is a good price, and have thought of using them myself before I got into fixing them.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Sorry I didnt contact you first ben.I live in state college PA.(next to penn state main campus).Im going to order a multi meter today because Im going to need it to check the common ground I need to make on the amps.He repaired the 555II preamp also .He said the contacts from board to rca inputs on those pres are sometimes bad.Im going to email him about the caps and DC offset now.And thank you for the advice and help.

If you are going to run the Adcom monos with SDA's you just need to tie the grounds together of both amps. I know this works well with pin/blades, not sure how it is with blade/blade SDA's.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

I seem to have blade/blade.I guess i will find out.Good thing to since Im only going to restore them if everything works out.Id like to replace all the drivers and do the crossover mod I hear all the polkies talking about.

Just the tweeters. Hopefully someone will chime in on the blade blade.
    Thanks
    Ben

YO ben,Ebc contacted me and told me that the DC offset WAS -4volts DC. It is now 5mV. He did a nice job cleaning up the board. I posted some pics. see below.
    Last edited by fbm211; 05-16-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: pic post

Member Sales Rating: (3)

As long as it's a true common ground connection, blade/blade or pin/blade does not matter.

Blade/blade or pin/blade only matters when you want to use an AI-1 interface cable, which of course, you can't use with most blade/blade SDA's. Some of the early 1C's and 2B's with blade/blade connectors, can be modified to use the AI-1.

Good luck.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    As long as it's a true common ground connection, blade/blade or pin/blade does not matter.

Blade/blade or pin/blade only matters when you want to use an AI-1 interface cable, which of course, you can't use with most blade/blade SDA's. Some of the early 1C's and 2B's with blade/blade connectors, can be modified to use the AI-1.

Good luck.
    Thanks DK. I was just getting ready to use my 565's with mine.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information