Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default Sub and Receiver

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any recommendations for a sub to go with my RTi10's. Keep in mind i live in an apt, all though that doesnt mean i dont want something nice and powerful:).

Also i was wondering what receivers you guys tend like to use with Polk speakers? I know this is a subjective question. I'm considering The Pioneer Elite 92 and the Yamaha 1800 or maybe even the less expensive Yamaha 663.

Get an AVR with pre-outs...if you don't need the latest HDMI then the HK auctions on ebay are a great solution. They mix with RTis extremely well and you'll get a full 2 year warranty without breaking the bank.

There are lots of great subs out there, but anything I'd recommend will get you evicted. Get something in the budget range to tide you over. Subs and apartments can be a real problem.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (19)

What's your budget and room dimensions?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

12x14 (actually 12x18 with 4' seperated by an archway). And my budget is $350-$400 for a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    Get an AVR with pre-outs...if you don't need the latest HDMI then the HK auctions on ebay are a great solution. They mix with RTis extremely well and you'll get a full 2 year warranty without breaking the bank.

There are lots of great subs out there, but anything I'd recommend will get you evicted. Get something in the budget range to tide you over. Subs and apartments can be a real problem.
    Well i do need the latest HDMI, for my PS3, XBOX 360 and Directv HD/DVR. Component for my Wii.

Yeah i surely dont want to be kicked out of my apt thats for sure lol. Luckily my landlord is a young guy and he knows i'm getting a sound system, so i'm sure he's expecting a little loudness, all though i will try not to blast it when he's home:p.

How about the HSU STF-2? I have been looking at that sub after hearing a few people talk about it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Personally I would skip the sub and use the money to get the best possible reciever I could.

The pioneer elite 94 , (I forget the exact designation)

or if you could swing the onkyo 905 on amazon, that will keep you happy for a while and your system could really grow with something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    Personally I would skip the sub and use the money to get the best possible reciever I could.

The pioneer elite 94 , (I forget the exact designation)

or if you could swing the onkyo 905 on amazon, that will keep you happy for a while and your system could really grow with something like that.
    I'm actually thinking about the Pioneer 92, Tweeter has it for $799 which is a huge discount.

Would the Yamaha 663 (95w per channel) have enough power to handle my RTi10's. Only reason i ask is because i have a $450 gift card at BB and could basically get it for free vs the Yamaha 1800 or Pioneer Elite. If i opt for one of the latter two i will have to wait quite a while to get a sub and some rears.
    Last edited by metal83; 05-16-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Yami's & RTI's generally lead to a very bright system, which can become tiring on the ears. But you might like it that way.

Most tend to think that Denon, HK, I guess Pioneer are better suited for RTI's.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Get the Pioneer Elite or Onkyo 905 like mentioned. Save that $450 gift card and buy all their blu ray movies!!
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

So if its between Yamaha and Pioneer, the general consensus is that the Pioneer would match a bit better, not quite as bright?

I have heard people say that Denon goes good with them. But i cant afford the 3808 unfortunately. I could afford the 2808, but i can get the Pioneer Elite for the same price. Hmmm decisions decisions lol.
    Last edited by metal83; 05-16-2008 at 02:01 PM.

2808 or VSX-94TXH? My vote would go to Pioneer.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

Pioneer Elite 92 actually.

Oops, sorry. Still would take that over the Denon. It has 3 HDMI inputs as compared to the Denons 2, which allows you to connect all of your sources(except the wii) via HDMI. Also the extra power couldn't hurt.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

I actually love the sound of my RTi10's with my 663 and 863. Moreso than the Denon, Onkyo and Pioneers :/ I'm the oddman out however..
    I should've listened way back in 2008, they told me I'd go broke... they were right

Finally, i made a decision on a receiver, Pioneer Elite 92.

I was actually gonna say screw it and just go to Tweeter and pick it up, Considering $799 for $1300 receiver was just to hard to pass up. I had tried to have BB price match this yesterday, at three different locations with a no go at each. Well this morning, i called on more best buy a little further away. And to my surprise they said yes, they will price match it. Took me a half hour to get to the store but it was worth it. So i was able to use my $450 gift card, and only paid $350 out of pocket for this receiver. Pretty sweet deal. I almost considered the Yamaha 663 because of the praise it gets. But since i was able to work this out at BB i saw no reason not to get the Pio Elite, especially only paying $350 out of pocket. Now i am just deciding if i want the BB warrenty, 4yrs for $100.

Thanks for everyones input, and i'll let you know how it goes with this receiver:D.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

personally i wouldn't get the BB warranty... it's money in their pockets.. as most people never use it. spend the $100 on interconnect cables or something fun instead. ;)

congrats on the Pioneer Elite!!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Agree with DB. Plenty of other things to get. Congrats on the Pioneer.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Agree with DB. Plenty of other things to get. Congrats on the Pioneer.
    Thanks guys. And i am glad i didnt buy the warrenty right then and there, even tho they pushed it like crazy i said i had to think about it.

$350 out of pocket is an awesome deal! Congrats.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable

Denon AVR3808ci and an Infinity PS-12 here and LOVE them both.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Are you still interested in getting a sub?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Are you still interested in getting a sub?
    Yeah i'm still interested in getting a sub. Just not sure what yet.

Check Amazon.com, shopzilla, bizrate, etc.

I found a $499.00 Boston acoustics sub from crutchfield for $299.00 from Abes of Main.

I found a Pioneer VSX1017 ( open box ) at BB for $85.00. Which sounds great IMO. The cheapest place for a boxed model was about $353.00. I had just bought a new Yamaha 5.1, 100wpc 2-months earlier but could'nt pass the Pioneer up.

I won't say what you should get, just that you should look around. Sometimes you can stumble across some bargains.

That Hsu sub is interesting, and i did'nt even know about it until after i bought the Boston Acoustics. I'm happy with the one i got though.

Good luck !

Thread Information