Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Denon AVR 3808 or Yamaha RX-V3800i???

Need your help once again please.

My previous post concerning a faulty Marantz SR-8001 purchased on eBay has concluded with the seller agreeing to a full refund of the purchase price (less shipping). Now time for a replacement :D.

Wanting to keep it musical in focus, plus LSi9s ordered and on the way (to be powered by a Rotel RB-991 200 watts x 2 into 8 ohms amp, 300 watts x 2 into 4 ohm), which would you recommend? I can obtain the Yamaha for $1900 AUD, or the Denon $2599 AUD. The Yamaha has more features for less dollars, both have HDMI 1.3a 4 in and 1 out (and I need all 4 - PS3, Oppo DV980H, Toshiba HD-XE1 and and Panasonic DVD/R). The Denon apparently has the best upscaling video capability of any receiver in this price range and is musically refined as well.

I sold my RX-V2700 as it wasn't "musical" enough for me on 2 channel, with my current RTi10s, but believe Yamaha have tweaked their 3800i to be more musical from a local review I read. Also, the LSi9s will be yet another animal compared to my RTi10s, so they may sound good with the Yammie.

Has anyone out there got either of these AVRs? If so, please pass on your feedback. Also, anyone with any opinion, please also feel free to contribute.

As you can see, from help and just general reading of threads on this forum, I have purchased the Oppo player, know I need a 200 watt a channel amp to drive both the RTi10s and the soon to arrive LSi9s :D, so all of your help has been very beneficial. Thanks once again in advance.
    Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main
    Denon AVR-4520
    Emotiva MPS-2 7 Channel Amp (driving all LSi's)
    Emotiva XPA-2 (driving RTiA9s)
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851C / 850E / 752-BD
    Polk Audio Cherry LSi9s - LSiC - Cherry LSi7s - PSW505 - RTiA9s
    Panasonic TH-P60UT50A 60' 3D Plasma
    Foxtel Digital HD+
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40

Bedroom
    Denon AVR-3808
    Denon DVD-3930
    Polk Audio SurroundBAR - PSW250
    Fujitsu P42HHS10W/P42HHS10A 42' HD Plasma - HD STB

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I wouldn't get them. I would look to get a Pioneer Elite vsx94txh. It's more musical then both of them. Also Pioneer's make very nice preamps.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Hi VX,

If you would consider separate components, you should check out the ICEpower Class D amplifiers out there. The thread on this forum labeled "Nuforce vs Rotel" is really about that topic.

I'm comparing the relative worth between a Yamaha RX-V863, vs. going with an ICEpowered amp and separate components. I'm looking at the V863 because it supports the new TrueHD and other hi-def (Blu-Ray) lossless sound track formats.

I believe it's the case that these relatively new Class D amplifiers are the way to go for stereo amplification. They are WAY more efficient than traditional amplifiers.

Regards.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

I went through this about 6 months ago but my decision was between the 94 Elite and the Denon 3808, I decided to go with the Denon 3808. I do have to agree with Mantis on one aspect, the 94 Elite was much better on the musical side of things which wasn't a concern of mine, don't listen to music in my H/T room. As fas as movie viewing, I prefered the sound of the Denon more due to the Audyssey EQ. Not only that, Denon, at the time seemed to be a step above the Elite as far as features. The denon allows on-screen menus to be passed via HDMI where as with the Elite, you had to have a Pioneer display to do this using the SR cable, I beleive thats what the cable is called. Another benefit of the Denon is being able to do firmware updated via the internet. At one time, the only way to get firmware updates with the Pioneer Elite was to carry it into an authorized Elite repair center and have them do it, closes one to me is over 70 miles away. The best thing to do is find a dealer that carries both units and have a listen yourself.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
    "My Theater Room"

Hi and thanks for your input to date.

Mantis, unfortunately, Pioneer Elite isn't available in Oz - the top of the line Pioneer available here is the VSX-LX70. Has the 4 HDMI ins I need, but obviously not the Elite model as available in the USA. I value your feedback as reading other threads, you obviously sell and install this stuff.

Happy to go separates skykeys, but not sure what is available here in Oz that has the 4 HDMI inputs - already looking at the Rotel RMB1095. As you can see, we already don't have the Pioneer Elite range - hence the Yamaha or the Denon is what it is between.

As no responses on the Yammie as yet, the Denon looks like the winner so far......
    Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main
    Denon AVR-4520
    Emotiva MPS-2 7 Channel Amp (driving all LSi's)
    Emotiva XPA-2 (driving RTiA9s)
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851C / 850E / 752-BD
    Polk Audio Cherry LSi9s - LSiC - Cherry LSi7s - PSW505 - RTiA9s
    Panasonic TH-P60UT50A 60' 3D Plasma
    Foxtel Digital HD+
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40

Bedroom
    Denon AVR-3808
    Denon DVD-3930
    Polk Audio SurroundBAR - PSW250
    Fujitsu P42HHS10W/P42HHS10A 42' HD Plasma - HD STB

Member Sales Rating: (14)

If Pioneer can't be had there then I would go Denon. It's a good choice. Denon receivers are feature packed and now have Audyssey setup which is a huge plus. Pioneer has been doing it longer with Mcacc.

I really don't care for Yamaha.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

I will just say that I am a fan of Yamaha receivers. I currently have a seven year old RX-V620 driving my new LC265i, LC-RTS-C and LC80i 5.1 system. The receiver was left over from my previous system. It is working well for me.

I have been a fan of most Yamaha equipment, particularly their DSP capability. I am a musician (keyboard player) with a weekend band, and I have always used various Yamaha equipment. I have found both their home stereo equipment as well as their professional stuff to be rock solid and very reliable, as well as being good performers. I believe it's the case that they leverage their professional DSP technology in their home stereo line.

That being said, I know it's not the greatest "high-end" home stereo equipment by any stretch. But it is reliable and pretty decent for the money. The only reason I am considering upgrading it is to get more power to drive these new speakers (even though I think they sound really good right now), as well as upgrading to support the new "lossless" hi-def sound tracks, TrueHD and the other one (whose name escapes me at the moment). The bottom line on my desire to upgrade is - I am curious about moving into separate components, given that it seems to be the way to go for the best sound. The new Class D amplifiers (ICEpower and other designs) seem to be the logical (and green) wave of the future IMHO because they are very efficient and have a smaller footprint.

I have read many good comments about Denon receivers, so I'm sure it's good stuff as well. I have a Denon DVD player, which I like. But I am comfortable with Yamaha receivers, and if I end up staying with a receiver (as compared to separates), I will upgrade to the Yamaha RX-V863 - if it fits in my cabinet. :)

Regards.

3808, no question.

Thread Information