Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default Ok... If you had to choose, which would..

    pick?

    I have found a pair of Paradigm Studio60 v.4 Rosenut brand new factory sealed http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference...-1-28.paradigm locally for $12 bills.

    Or I could order a pair Magnepan MMG's, pair of MMGw's and an MMGc for $1286.00 shipped new from Magnepan.

    Background:
    I'm wanting to do a new 5.1 media room (room size 12lx11wx8h). With the Paradigms I'll have to match the other speakers around the 60's which will incur more cost down the road, but it's Paradigm. No way near the deal bdaley6509 got, but not too shabby I think either.

    With the Maggies, I'm pretty much set, untill I get my MGIIb's sent for factory rebuilds sometime later, and then could run 7.1, after moving up to a MC1 or CC3, and selling the MMGc.

    Ok, I respect you guys... so whats your thoughts?
    Oh.... will be powered by a XPA-5
    Last edited by Terrax; 05-31-2008 at 01:46 AM.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    I own MMG's and couldn't imagine using Magnepans for surround sound.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default

    I could imagne the MMGw's making perfect surrounds when mounted on the side and back wall.... hm... maybe thats just me, but from what I've read, and from owning maggies too, seems a no brainer. But thats not the intent of what I'm asking..... which makes more sence, which is a better investment, now and for the future?

    Soundwise, I'm good... just torn between which is going to be more bang for the buck all the way all the around. I'm leaning toward the maggies, but I've not owned Paradigm yet, so I may be missing something in the thought process.
    Last edited by Terrax; 05-31-2008 at 12:55 AM.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    Due to their very small sweet spot, I can see it being difficult to set them up properly to give believable effects.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Paradigm. Magnepan is only an excellent surround speaker when it's larger than your body.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Thanks guys, but I'm not sure I typing coherent enough.....

    (One) pair of Paradigm Studio 60's - New = $1200.00 Local pick-up

    (Five) Magnepan speakers 2 MMG's, 2 MMGw's, 1 MMGc - New = $1286.00 Shipped


    I'm "not" just talking about buying a "surround". :p

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,065

    Default

    I think we got it my man.....for ht in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup,we look at the sound quality first.The P-diddy's have it for HT.The maggies have it for 2 channel,but thats about it.Regardless that you can get 5 maggies for the price of 2 p-diddy's.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,236

    Default

    Have you ever heard Maggies? They are a bit different sounding than a conventional speaker. The coolness factor would be great with the Maggies, but if you've never listened to a pair or and entire HT set-up they should be your second choice. In my very limited knowledge and listening as well as talking to those that own Maggies the big ones are the ones to get and the "baby" Maggies just aren't the same as the "daddy" Maggies.

    Maggies have a different enough presentation that if you can't/haven't demoed them then I'd stick with the conventional Paradigms or other manufacturer.

    What prompted you to just have (2) choices? Price, listening, reviews??

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    I had a Pdigm surround system in our last house. We had to downsize when we moved and I hated giving up the pdigms for the DefTech. I found them to be top notch and if we ever move into a larger home, I'd replace the DefTech with Pdigms.

    I don't have any experience with Maggies but I do have Martin Logan. They are a difficult speaker to position for 2 channel, I could not imagine going through the set up with 5 of them.

    Lastly, I think you're getting a better quality speaker for your dollar. 2 for the price of 5 has to tell you something. But, it all boils down to what sounds the best to you.

    Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I think we got it my man.....for ht in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup,we look at the sound quality first.The P-diddy's have it for HT.The maggies have it for 2 channel,but thats about it.Regardless that you can get 5 maggies for the price of 2 p-diddy's.
    Thanks Tony, I justed wanted to make sure I was making sence. And not throwing everyone off somehow.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Have you ever heard Maggies? They are a bit different sounding than a conventional speaker. The coolness factor would be great with the Maggies, but if you've never listened to a pair or and entire HT set-up they should be your second choice. In my very limited knowledge and listening as well as talking to those that own Maggies the big ones are the ones to get and the "baby" Maggies just aren't the same as the "daddy" Maggies.

    Maggies have a different enough presentation that if you can't/haven't demoed them then I'd stick with the conventional Paradigms or other manufacturer.

    What prompted you to just have (2) choices? Price, listening, reviews??

    H9

    Yes, as I stated, I own the MGIIb's from Magnepan now and demo'd a few others. Price is the only thing that has keep me from owning any of the "higher end" and newer ones.

    These two choices are from either experience with or from research of what is available (other brands) at my given price point atm.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I had a Pdigm surround system in our last house. We had to downsize when we moved and I hated giving up the pdigms for the DefTech. I found them to be top notch and if we ever move into a larger home, I'd replace the DefTech with Pdigms.

    I don't have any experience with Maggies but I do have Martin Logan. They are a difficult speaker to position for 2 channel, I could not imagine going through the set up with 5 of them.

    Lastly, I think you're getting a better quality speaker for your dollar. 2 for the price of 5 has to tell you something. But, it all boils down to what sounds the best to you.

    Gordon


    Your comments are exactly what I am looking for, thank you.
    Last edited by Terrax; 06-04-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Choose
    By criverajr in forum Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
  2. help me choose the best sub for the $
    By hexon in forum Car Subwoofer Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
  3. Trying to choose...
    By snowjay in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 07:42 AM
  4. Which sub should I choose?
    By dpowell in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
  5. HSU, SVS, M&K! How do I choose?!?!?
    By JcM in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts