Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default sr6500 sounding like 40$ speakers

    I have a pair of sr6500 and i believe it's not sounding too great. The tweeters are giving me like a wierd noise like a paper in a fan, just not that loud, kind of faint. The only sound that really is sounding good out of these speakers are like claps and sounds like drumsticks hitting a piece of wood.

    Maybe it's the amp, I don't know, some places say amps are very important other places it says that it really doesn't matter. My amp is a sony gtr2002 which is 200 x2 channels RMS. also when I try to play it loud it starts sounding pretty bad. So ultimately it doesn't get as loud as I want it to. At least sounding clear.

    should i get a pair of sr or momos for the rear to make it louder?

    if the amp is a problem should i get a Kicker ZX550.2 which is 205 x 2 RMS or ZX450.2 which is 150 x 2 rms both I can get really cheap. or alpine 150.2 or jl 300/2 and what would be the difference amongs them.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Something aint right. I doubt the amp is the problem. You can always hook up an old set of speakers and see if they play right.

    Are you sure youve not got the crossover wired in reverse?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    also i can get this one at a good price too http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/xa4200.html

    but i don't understand how it jumps from 100x 4 to 400 x2
    400w per component is scary

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    The SRs are SOUND QUALITY speakers. My guess is you turned it up too loud and already blew them. They are not scream in your face speakers, if you want something that gets insanely loud, you made the wrong decision.

    Otherwise, it could be a host of problems. Bad ground, bad radio, bad amp, bad RCAs, grounded out speaker wire.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Something aint right. I doubt the amp is the problem. You can always hook up an old set of speakers and see if they play right.

    Are you sure youve not got the crossover wired in reverse?
    I feel the air being pushed from the door when the song is bassy, so i doubt the xover is reversed.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    The SRs are SOUND QUALITY speakers. My guess is you turned it up too loud and already blew them. They are not scream in your face speakers, if you want something that gets insanely loud, you made the wrong decision.

    Otherwise, it could be a host of problems. Bad ground, bad radio, bad amp, bad RCAs, grounded out speaker wire.
    -Cody
    they are 125w and retail over 799 so it should hold is weight with volume, but it doesn't sound like 799 + speakers at low volumes. my signal cable is pretty good it's the best tsunami cable. the radio is eh(panasonic), i'm planning to change it soon. speaker wire is a decent gauge i don't remember but is pretty thick, it's not twisted though.

    What's grounded out speaker wire?

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    7,174

    Default

    I know speakers that cost much much more than the SRs and dont handle the power. A price tag is not a power handling crystal ball and should not be treated as such.

    Also, you can have the best RCAs in the world, but if they got pinched somewhere, that could be your issue. A grounded out speaker wire is just part of your speaker wire could be touching metal, either pinched through the insulation or accidentally touching the basket of the driver or the heat sink on an amplifier.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I'm clueless on what can be the issue. thanks for the input though. About the power you can look at it like this, mercedes are made for comfort yet they have more power than most other vehicles.

    Anyone has any input on my amplifier, and what should i get should i have to replace it.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Laker City (LA), CA
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Ecin - Exalted512 installs for a living.... listen to what he says... even if u think hes wrong, hes gonna be right 99% of the time compared to u (thats not an insult, the guy just knows his ****). Have u used ur amp with any other speakers? It could also be the preouts of your headunit, try connecting them to the rear output and see if they sound the same... if they do, u know its not your head unit, switch out the RCAs, if it still sounds the same, u know its not the RCAs... use a process of elimination, thats how u will find the prob.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecin View Post
    I'm clueless on what can be the issue. thanks for the input though. About the power you can look at it like this, mercedes are made for comfort yet they have more power than most other vehicles.
    That is the most asinine argument I have ever seen in my life. I'm getting a headache trying to figure out how your argument even comes close to being comparable to the power levels that a speaker can handle.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    That is the most asinine argument I have ever seen in my life. I'm getting a headache trying to figure out how your argument even comes close to being comparable to the power levels that a speaker can handle.
    lol their cars have decent speed, they not mustang cobras, they cost more, but they are faster than the average car.
    But I do hear the speaker get loud, just doesn't sound good. I'm wondering if it's the amplifier.

    of course exalted knows more than I do, but it's very hard to diag my problem since I don't know how to take my HU and door apart

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Who installed it?

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I guessing they are mounted in the door. If you haven't deadened your doors they could be the ones making the noise.

    I wasn't too happy with the volume or the quality of sound from my 6500's until I deadened and sealed my doors. It will make huge difference if you do this.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    I do not know if your doors have deadener or not. If they do not, you need to invest in some.

    It always surprises me when people spend good coin on a nice set of speakers and don't do what they can to extract the most from them. Things like having a solid mounting surface, plenty of sound deadener, and making sure the door is sealed off as best as possible go a long way in the way your speakers will sound in your car.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1996blackmax View Post
    I do not know if your doors have deadener or not. If they do not, you need to invest in some.

    It always surprises me when people spend good coin on a nice set of speakers and don't do what they can to extract the most from them. Things like having a solid mounting surface, plenty of sound deadener, and making sure the door is sealed off as best as possible go a long way in the way your speakers will sound in your car.
    Me too, but a lot of people have no idea. A little over two years ago when I purchased my 6500 I had no clue. I thought, get good speakers have good sound. I did take some steps to improve the install but after joining a few different forums I realized the potential was so much higher. Hell I didn't even realize how stereo was supposed to recreate a stage.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirthog View Post
    Me too, but a lot of people have no idea. A little over two years ago when I purchased my 6500 I had no clue. I thought, get good speakers have good sound. I did take some steps to improve the install but after joining a few different forums I realized the potential was so much higher. Hell I didn't even realize how stereo was supposed to recreate a stage.
    Well I don't know about recreating stages or anything like that I would like to know. Anyways I been planning to get the 36sqft xtreme

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Check out Raam Audio. They make RammMat and its damn near as good as Dynamat Extreme but half the price. 62 ft2 for $120!

    http://www.raamaudio.com/
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    I've used Second Skin's Damplifier for a while. It's a great alternative to Dynamat Extreme.

    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/index.php

    Link to Damplifier...

    http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...damplifier.php
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Check out Raam Audio. They make RammMat and its damn near as good as Dynamat Extreme but half the price. 62 ft2 for $120!

    http://www.raamaudio.com/
    ^^x2

    exelent product, exelent prices, exelent service...
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.100
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz Kristal Kable

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecin View Post
    Well I don't know about recreating stages or anything like that I would like to know.
    Check this article and do some searching.

    http://www.carsound.com/columns/eldridge/eld0003.shtml

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    ^^x2

    exelent product, exelent prices, exelent service...
    x3 Very easy to apply.



    If your looking to learn a lot about car audio I would suggest diymobileaudio.com. Some of the threads can be very complicated but it's were I have learned pretty much everything I know. From deadening to topics that are way above my head.

    It will take time to put all of the pieces together but if you keep reading the threads you'll learn.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156

    Default

    ok, hope this helps.. i have had a similar post about the SR6500s.

    my pair was not loud enuff. but that's the way they are. very clean. not very loud SQ speakers. tuned by ear, u can get em to kinda sound loud (with a particular sound).

    but if u put your ear to the speaker, u will hear funny sounds. it means that your speaker is being overdriven.

    i eventually used my meter and level set using test tones. this way is the safest.

    for louder... add some more speakers. doing this AND maintaining imaging, staging and tonality is hard.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Check out Raam Audio. They make RammMat and its damn near as good as Dynamat Extreme but half the price. 62 ft2 for $120!

    http://www.raamaudio.com/
    im geting dynamat xtreme 36 sqft for only 81 bucks :)

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    ok, hope this helps.. i have had a similar post about the SR6500s.

    my pair was not loud enuff. but that's the way they are. very clean. not very loud SQ speakers. tuned by ear, u can get em to kinda sound loud (with a particular sound).

    but if u put your ear to the speaker, u will hear funny sounds. it means that your speaker is being overdriven.

    i eventually used my meter and level set using test tones. this way is the safest.

    for louder... add some more speakers. doing this AND maintaining imaging, staging and tonality is hard.
    So I shouldn't add anymore??? what about the amp any suggestions? Not for nothing but I heard some pretty sweet and loud focals. I sell a lot of polk, and polk home audio at work so I was biased with polk.

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    256

    Default

    I ran some dynaudio components a few years back connected to a Sony amp. The problem I had sounded like what you have. The amp had low level distortion that I attributed to running through a passive crossover. I tried 3 different Sony amps all the same model and all had the same issue. I changed to a Sound Stream Class A6.0 and problem disappeared. You might try a different brand possibly a better amp and see what happens. You never know.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Installer4life View Post
    I ran some dynaudio components a few years back connected to a Sony amp. The problem I had sounded like what you have. The amp had low level distortion that I attributed to running through a passive crossover. I tried 3 different Sony amps all the same model and all had the same issue. I changed to a Sound Stream Class A6.0 and problem disappeared. You might try a different brand possibly a better amp and see what happens. You never know.
    I'm very open to changin my amp, especially if a kicker zx can do the job WELL, since i get special pricing on them.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156

    Default

    well i use two of the alpine PDX 4.100 amps. as the name say, they are 4x100.
    using one amp, i've bi-amped the SR6500 with tweeters on front and mid-woofer on rear.

    level setting this config is a pain, cause i find it hard to level set the tweets using the DMM method. so for safety, i run the tweets tru the sr6500 x-over and watch the bulb for clip.

    the amps are clean, draw very little power and their modular stackable design allowed me to design an amp rack that i may never need to modify. cause all the pdx amps have the same footprint.

    i would have gone with the new JL amps but they were hard to get and very pricey!

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    The benefit to bi-amping is the ability to independently tune the output of your tweets so you wouldnt set them using a DMM. Youd set the mid's gain with the DMM or however else you want to and then youd set the tweeters gain to blend in best with the mids. Almost always this will be a point lower than the mids gain so if the mids gain is set properly, you can be sure the tweets gain is in no danger of clipping.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    The benefit to bi-amping is the ability to independently tune the output of your tweets so you wouldnt set them using a DMM. Youd set the mid's gain with the DMM or however else you want to and then youd set the tweeters gain to blend in best with the mids. Almost always this will be a point lower than the mids gain so if the mids gain is set properly, you can be sure the tweets gain is in no danger of clipping.
    that's too advanced for me so i think a two chanell amp would be fine. I just want it loud and great sound.

    What about a second pair of speakers would it help volume? and filing the car? I have an eclass which is slightly bigger than an accord inside.

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Yeah, it could give you a little more output, not much tho. Probably not more than 3 db.

    Rear speakers arent usually the best way to go as they pull the stage to the rear and they can cause cancellation which can happen when you have the same frequencies hitting your ears from different distances.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. NOt sounding right.
    By Ecin in forum Car Subwoofer Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. sounding off
    By danger boy in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 11:55 PM
  3. Sounding Off
    By tonyb in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 07:28 AM
  4. Help! Amp sounding strange
    By jbonecpa in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
  5. airy sounding speakers on the Bay
    By danger boy in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts