Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flac to Ipod?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default flac to Ipod?

I have my music saved mostly as Flac and a very few as WMP files. My wife wants to put a bunch on her Ipod. How do I convert the selected files to Ipod format? The goal being to reduce the size of the files. Please keep in mind that I do not want to delete the source files. I am running windows XP.

FYI: I will be back on line in the morning.

Thanks, Dan

Member Sales Rating: (16)

hmmm...I'm not to sure about windows since I use Apple, but if you have Roxio Toast you can export flac to AAC. Simply add the files into Toast and export them as AAC into an alternate folder. From there straight into itunes to be uploaded into the ipod.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

You'll have to convert them to apple lossless. I have the same problem. I would love to keep everything in flac (squeezebox 3) but my wife is an ipod lover.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

The other option is to reimage her ipod and turn it into a flac player. Sorry, I don't have that information and I have never attempted the procedure.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

You could convert them to mp3 them import them to iTunes.
    MediaMonkey supports FLAC and can convert although I think you have to have the upgraded version ($).

You could convert the FLAC back to CD and them rip into iTunes.

I was able to use the FLAC Frontend (free) and decode a FLAC file to a WAV file, then bring that into iTunes and convert to MP3-Its a little work but not too painful. Only took me about 5 mins to completely convert about an hour of music from FLAC to MP3.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

If I use the Flac Frontend to wav wont I lose the tags?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_paul_ View Post
    I have my music saved mostly as Flac and a very few as WMP files. My wife wants to put a bunch on her Ipod. How do I convert the selected files to Ipod format? The goal being to reduce the size of the files. Please keep in mind that I do not want to delete the source files. I am running windows XP.

FYI: I will be back on line in the morning.

Thanks, Dan
    The free version of MediaMonkey will convert FLAC directly to MP3 which can then be used in the IPod. I just converted a couple to confirm so if you need help just PM me.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

The way I do it is burn the FLAC files to an audio CD image using Nero, then I mount the CD image to a virtual drive using Alcohol 120%. That way iTunes will grab the CD title/name info automatically.

All my iTunes library is ripped using AAC @ 256kbps, which is much better than MP3 at the same bitrate.
    Last edited by jpolz; 06-20-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    Mains: Polk LSi15
    Pre/Pro: Yamaha RX-V663
    Amplifier: Emotiva LPA-1
    Subwoofer: KLH ASW8-120b

Member Sales Rating: (4)

OK, DON'T put them to MP3, you'll lose the CD quality and you can't get it back. Same thing for lossy AAC. Since you've got them as flac's, I'm guessing that you have the original CD's, so the easiest way is to just re-rip in iTunes.

I believe that the newer versions of Roxio Toast have FLAC and apple lossless support, so you could use that to convert over.

Now, I'm assuming that you want to keep it lossless. If you have the space, you could just duplicate your library in an MP3/ AAC format for your wife's Ipod since the quality out of it isn't going to be too hot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    OK, DON'T put them to MP3, you'll lose the CD quality and you can't get it back. Same thing for lossy AAC. Since you've got them as flac's, I'm guessing that you have the original CD's, so the easiest way is to just re-rip in iTunes.

I believe that the newer versions of Roxio Toast have FLAC and apple lossless support, so you could use that to convert over.

Now, I'm assuming that you want to keep it lossless. If you have the space, you could just duplicate your library in an MP3/ AAC format for your wife's Ipod since the quality out of it isn't going to be too hot anyway.

The goal is to do this quickly. I have spent months ripping the cd to flac. I am not doing this again! I am over 5000 songs and like 350 differnt cds. I do not care about the quality because I am keeping the Flac files. This is just for her headphones.

The goal is to do this quickly. I have spent months ripping the cd to flac. I am not doing this again! I am over 5000 songs and like 350 differnt cds. I do not care about the quality because I am keeping the Flac files. This is just for her headphones.
    Dan.

I PM'd you details on doing it with MediaMonkey. No reason to re-rip, destroy originals, lose TAG info. 10 or 15 seconds a song and you're done. If you don't like the results, do it again. FLAC to MP3 the into ITunes is pretty simple stuff.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

dbpoweramp has a "Batch Convert" option. Let's say all your music is in a "Music" folder, separated by artist folder. Just point batch convert to the music folder, click on the subfolder option, and it will list every flac song. Click one button to start and walk away (you can change the option to output to the original folder or elsewhere). Once done, point itunes to the music folder and it will pick up anything that's not flac.

Like Media Monkey, all conversions are free except when converting to mp3. You have to pay for that portion of the software. Apple lossless (m4a), apple (mp4), ogg, ra, wma, flac, ape, etc are all free.

Good luck

Member Sales Rating: (3)

In my opinion, a high bitrate mp3 (say lame vbr 0, which is around 250 kbps) is good enough for most portable applications unless you're doing critical listening with high end headphones.

I use Foobar to convert my flac files to lame vbr 0 mp3's for my Zune and use the flac files for home listening (using Foobar for the player). The mp3's will keep all the tag data you had in the flac's. It's nice having one piece of software for playback and conversion. The only other software I use is EAC to rip CD's to flac.

One advantage of mp3 is that it is a universal format that will play on any portable or software.

Foobar is free and so are the flac and lame codecs.
    Last edited by adam2434; 06-22-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Thread Information