Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default My Harman AVR 247 is driving me crazy

I've been drilling through the OSD for weeks trying to figure out the direct/bypass mode. Every time there's a layer change/channel change, the 247 switches back to DPLII Movie... it it's a stereo source, I want to hear it in stereo, if it's 5.1, pass-through the DD stream, etc... IS there an easy way to get this receiver out of its own way, or am I stuck pressing the "surround" button six times every time it decides to switch back to DPLII?

Also - why do the "stereo" and "direct" buttons on the remote do nothing? WTF Harman?
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I had a 245, IMO that remote was the worst I've ever owned.

Was there a direct or bypass mode on the 245?
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

I don't remember, I only used it for HT.

I do believe I remember those buttons on the POS remote though.

Member Sales Rating: (39)

My 635 had those buttons, and stereo seemed to work, but "direct" didn't seem to do anything.

I had to use the multi channel inputs to get "direct" sound. Have no idea why it isn't easier. I need to check out my B&K 507 to see if it works better with "direct." I know it has a direct feature I can choose through the menu.

I guess the multi-channel inputs are always an option... grr. I'm starting to wish I'd just bought one of their stereo receivers and kept it simpler.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Member Sales Rating: (5)

IIRC, auto polling has to be disabled for every source/format. This should fix the DPL2x force. Also, just setup your Direct through the analog/6-8 channel direct function. It sounds signifcantly better.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersFTW View Post
    I've been drilling through the OSD for weeks trying to figure out the direct/bypass mode. Every time there's a layer change/channel change, the 247 switches back to DPLII Movie... it it's a stereo source, I want to hear it in stereo, if it's 5.1, pass-through the DD stream, etc... IS there an easy way to get this receiver out of its own way, or am I stuck pressing the "surround" button six times every time it decides to switch back to DPLII?

Also - why do the "stereo" and "direct" buttons on the remote do nothing? WTF Harman?
    I have the AVR 240 (not currently using it) so this may not be the same. In the Input Setup menu the "default" SS mode for the initial lock can be set to Stereo (or several others). It sounds like yours is set for DPLII Movie. It sounds like yours also may be changing even after you set it. On mine I can turn off Auto-Polling for an input. Supposedly AP keeps looking at the input signal for changes. You might try turning it off. As for the Direct key I really don't have any suggestions other than hit the AVR Source key first and then hit Stereo or Direct.

Hope this helps.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Here's my screen:
    Source: HDMI 2
    Title: Cable
    Video In: HDMI 2
    Audio In: HDMI 2
    Auto Poll: Off
    Tone: In
    Video: mode A

My Oppo and the H/K play nice (though the Oppo often chooses the 2 channel, non DD track on DVDs and I have to manually select the DD/DTS track... WTF is up with that too, btw?) most of the time, it's just the dumb cable box.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

AHHHH I just changed the default mode to Dolby VS Ref 2Ch, then turned off the OSD. The receiver flashed the two channels (like it was re-handshaking with the HDMI) then POPPED BACK WITH DOLBY PLIIX MOVIE!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M GOING TO FIND THIS RECEIVER'S NECK, THEN THROTTLE IT.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

AHHHH I just changed the default mode to Dolby VS Ref 2Ch, then turned off the OSD. The receiver flashed the two channels (like it was re-handshaking with the HDMI) then POPPED BACK WITH DOLBY PLIIX MOVIE!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M GOING TO FIND THIS RECEIVER'S NECK, THEN THROTTLE IT.
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas. My 240 does not have HDMI so I was using optical out of the cable box to the HK. In my case the default was PLII Movie for cable, Stereo for the Squeezebox, and DD for the DVD player. I've had auto poll off on the DVD & Squeezebox and on for cable and everything worked just fine. My only guesses are weird cable box or malfunctioning HK. I suppose you could play around with optical audio + HDMI video just to see if the problem moves but it kind of defeats the convenience of HDMI. Sorry.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

It's been bothering me all month, but it's REALLY starting to bother me now that the return window closes in 5 days. I knew when I bought it some people found it unintuitive, but I like to think I'm fairly capable at working complicated electronics. At this point, the receiver isn't being difficult, it's just being mean. If it's a normal inconvenience from the receiver that otherwise works pretty well, then fine. But if it's abnormal, I'm really annoyed.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Member Sales Rating: (11)

i don't know about HK receviers.. but yeah you are on the right track.. you should be able to override the DPL mode.

I think some receiver treat a 2 ch stereo signal and automatically convert it to DPLII as a default. This is a PITA, but what if you reset the HK and set everything up again in the menu?

Or

Don't use HDMI for audio and instead use and optical cable for the audio portion. Might solve the problem.

good luck though.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

HK has always been notorious for dropouts. Do a search at AVS forum and see how far back it goes, I can recall at least 5 years of dropout issues. Diehard HK fans keep them simply for the power and sound, not the processing...........

It definitely sounds nice for a cheap receiver, but this PITA stuff is really a PITA.

Are the AVRs by Nad, Cambridge, etc... as bad with annoying things you don't think will bother you but do?
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Just a personal opinion but I think you will find that they all have their “why the hell did they do that” problems. It seems that the more sophisticated receivers are intended for the least sophisticated users. In others words, "our product are so complicated we really can’t trust you to mess with it or you may screw it up and then call us for help". Then there is the argument that people who spend a couple of grand on a receiver / processor are not the type folks who spend time tweaking settings; or that people who buy $400 receivers from Best Buy are probably not “stereo purists”.

Unfortunately that approach doesn’t help those of us that are comfortable with technology, like to experiment, or have a specific listening goal in mind. My guess is that most people buying mid-range receivers enjoy having music or TV dialog dancing all around the room.

I’m not sure how you combat it. A lot of the members have dedicated music systems and dedicated home theater systems. An expensive and space-intensive solution perhaps but it does solve the problem. My guess (and it really is a guess) is that your odds may increase with non-mass-marketed brands having roots in the higher end or custom installer markets. NAD would be one example but there a many. Of course you will probably have to spend a LOT more than your HK costs.

It’s possible your HK is just not working right due to a design flaw in the DSP chip or in the audio extraction processor from the HDMI link. In either case, moving to any other brand receiver / processor would probably solve the problem - and no doubt introduce others. If it’s an HDMI issue then reconfiguring to an optical input may bypass the issue. The 240 was a pretty stable receiver, the 245 & 247 marked the change to HDMI (I believe) so maybe the problem is there. Regardless, if you are otherwise happy with the HK then I would try an optical input. If you’re “so so” on the HK, moving to another brand may be the only other choice.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

I don't know, my old 635 worked perfectly for 2.5 years or so. Never dropped a signal, never reverted back to a processing mode I didn't choose myself. Always a trooper, and the remote (while not perfect) did allow for easy changing of digital/analog inputs, speaker size, bass, etc.

As far as user friendliness goes, I thought the HK was at least on par with my new B&K Ref 507 S2. I'm still getting used to the B&K (only had a couple weeks and watched a couple movies) but it seems to be able to do a few things the 635 couldn't, and vice versa.

For looks, sounds quality, power, the B&K is the winner, but not by a landslide. Guess I should just post a full review of the two and be done with it.

I switched to a coaxial connection but it's the same story. My e-mail to Harman hasn't been answered yet, so hopefully there's an easy fix. The OSD is actually pretty good overall, and input naming/assigning is handled better on this AVR than any I've used before. Surround mode crap aside, it's pretty nice.

The sound signature is totally different over Coax, btw. I'm not sure if it's better, but it's different.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...325618&sr=1-29

This is sexy and would probably drive LSi9s well, right? I've already got the proprietary H/K iPod dock so I don't want to walk away if I don't have to. Two sub outs, digital connection options, and a phono stage? Maybe this is more up my alley and I can just route the HDMI to the TV... stupid 30 day return window.

Now fewer buttons are working on the remote (including the directional toggle) and I just changed the batteries yesterday. I've never had a REMOTE flake out.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

It would probably be "adequate" for Lsi9s. I have a 3480 and it does well with Lsi7s.

Look up the HK 990 and see what the prices are. It looks more like an amp that could drive Lsi9s properly. I think I'm going to get one to replace my 3480 when prices come down a bit more.

IMO, coax usually sounds better than optical.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGwis View Post
    It would probably be "adequate" for Lsi9s. I have a 3480 and it does well with Lsi7s.

Look up the HK 990 and see what the prices are. It looks more like an amp that could drive Lsi9s properly. I think I'm going to get one to replace my 3480 when prices come down a bit more.
    I guess it would be better to ask if I'd get better sound from my RTi6 with more power, but I'd assume the answer is "yes." I had thought 150ish /ch @ 4ohms with extra headroom would stand up to the 9s, though.

Still no word from Harman CS.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

LSi9's can go down to 2ohms.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

As I remember, the 'direct' button was to dial in a specific FM station, and to go direct 2 channel, you hit the 'stereo' button until the DSP light went away. I not sure if 'direct' worked on digital inputs.

@ SK: I checked the manual and you're right - "direct" is for tuner input. Score 1 for h/k, minus 1 for me. The stereo button still won't work, though; is each button (Dolby Surround, DTS, DTS:Neo 6, Stereo, and whatever else) only able to switch modes when that mode is selected in the OSD?
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

My 240 will switch any time but I have to hit the AVR button first.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    TT = Audio Technica

Quote Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post
    My 240 will switch any time but I have to hit the AVR button first.
    Plus 1...you need to hit the AVR button to change applicable formats.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

I always check the AVR button, guys, but thanks anyway. The "Dolby Sur" button is responsive but the other four are not.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Member Sales Rating: (4)

LSU, Louisiana "In a galaxy far far away"

I always check the AVR button, guys, but thanks anyway. The "Dolby Sur" button is responsive but the other four are not.

Its because its a digital signal. DD and Logic 7 (if you have that), will be your only option. Stereo will not work, unless you use DD stereo. Analog or non-coded signal through coax/optical will allow you Stereo, other than that, (at least on my 635) you cannot use Stereo.

Also, on another note, in the OSD under advanced, turn polling "off" and source to "last".
    Last edited by jakelm; 06-25-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

LSU, Louisiana "In a galaxy far far away"

Page 58 of the owners manual, Read on default surround modes. Turned on or off
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!