Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Marantz receivers...any thoughts?

I think I'm going to retire my NAD T773 AVR. I've been looking at Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, NAD, & Marantz.

I like what I've read about the Marantz SR8002 & SR7002 http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp compared to the others. Although all the companies have darn good stuff. I probably don't need all the power of the SR8002 because I have a two channel amp for my mains & a mono block for the center & only need to power the surrounds. That's the only real difference that I can see between the two.

Onkyo & Yammie have a ton of bells & whistles that I'd never use. And I've read about problems with the Onkyo line (how true & accurate I really don't know) Without hearing any of them I would venture to say that the Marantz would sound the nicest, especially on two channel direct mode. In my area it's tough to actually get to hear them. Any thoughts on these guys or suggestions on others to look at. Don"t pay any attention to those prices...I can pick them both up a lot cheaper.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (28)

What's the reason you want to upgrade? Is it just to get TrueHD and DTSHD Master or do you want HDMI switching? Just curious. That NAD is pretty nice, even by today's standards.

I personally would go for one of the Denon xx08ci or the Onkyo SR705 or 805 over Marantz receivers. The Denon and the Onkyo both use the Audyssey MultiEq XT instead of the basic MultiEq. From what I've read, the improvement with the XT version is significant.

I would have went with Denon, but the Onkyos are priced much better (street prices). My SR805 was about half the going price of the Denon 3808ci back when I bought it in the winter.

Unless you can get the Marantz cheaper, I'd go for a Denon 3808ci. It has better features, especially in the video processing department.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

What kinds of "problems" with the Onkyo line? I'm curious since I've sold and used them for 7+ years now.

Also...I agree with billbillw. The NAD amplifier is leaps and bounds better at 7 X 110 watts than most any current run of the mill Japanese AV receiver on the market. If you're wanting the new decoding formats, just buy a Blu Ray player with analog outputs on it that does the decoding internally since the T773 has 7.1 analog inputs.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Marantz makes terrific products. I own a 5001, and an 8001. Both have performed beautifully and Marantz customer service is top of the line. I have no intention of ever straying to other manufacturers for my main controller, at least thats how I feel now.

Marantz just came out with a terrific new pre-amp that has network capability and the whole shot. I really would love to have it, and would jump on it if I was in the market. Here is a link:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2317.asp
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    What's the reason you want to upgrade? Is it just to get TrueHD and DTSHD Master or do you want HDMI switching? Just curious. That NAD is pretty nice, even by today's standards.

I personally would go for one of the Denon xx08ci or the Onkyo SR705 or 805 over Marantz receivers. The Denon and the Onkyo both use the Audyssey MultiEq XT instead of the basic MultiEq. From what I've read, the improvement with the XT version is significant.

I would have went with Denon, but the Onkyos are priced much better (street prices). My SR805 was about half the going price of the Denon 3808ci back when I bought it in the winter.

Unless you can get the Marantz cheaper, I'd go for a Denon 3808ci. It has better features, especially in the video processing department.
    Well, for one thing the T773 will have to go in for a repair. It just started making a loud pop (and I mean loud) thru my left front speaker when I hit the mute button on the remote, or change inputs by remote along with audio formats. I started a thread on this very subject.

I heard that the Onkyo's had a heating up problem, (just what I've read). Apparently you've been selling them so maybe you heard this too? Then again maybe not. It's really tough to plow thru all the google searches & come up with 100% accurate info.

I think you're right about the XT version is much better than the EQ version. My only concern is about the Onkyo's ability to perform in a two channel direct mode. Other than that concern the Onkyo lineup looks pretty stellar. How do you think it would stack up against the NAD "music" wise? And since I have a two channel amp & a mono amp for my center I only need the AVR to power my surrounds.

I also wouldn't want to buy a BR player & have to have 7 more cables to hook up. The HDMI is the way to go here.

The T773 does sound fantastic but after 4yrs maybe it's time I made a change. Any takers on the T773 before or after the repair.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Most of the people that complain about the Onkyos overheating are the same ones that try and put them things in a closed cabinet with only an inch or two of clearance on top. I don't care what brand it is, it will likely get too hot in that circumstance (unless it uses a digital amp topology).

My 805 has nothing on top and it runs fine. It gets moderatly warm, but its nothing to worry about. On the 805, the main area of heat is right over the video processing chip in the right rear corner. The actual amp section stays relatively cool.

Many people put a small low speed fan over the area of the video chip and find that they can put the receiver in a closed cabinet without any problems.

The Onkyo has a pure direct mode and it works great. It turns off all the video circuits, cuts out the Audyssey equailzation, disables the sub, and sends unaltered full range to the front R/L speakers only.

I can't comment on whether the Marantz, Denon, Yamaha or others do a better job in this respect, but the Onkyo sounds pretty damn good in Pure Direct on my SDA-1C. Enough to keep me happy in my current 2-ch system drought.

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    My 805 has nothing on top and it runs fine. It gets moderatly warm, but its nothing to worry about. On the 805, the main area of heat is right over the video processing chip in the right rear corner. The actual amp section stays relatively cool.

Many people put a small low speed fan over the area of the video chip and find that they can put the receiver in a closed cabinet without any problems.

The Onkyo has a pure direct mode and it works great. It turns off all the video circuits, cuts out the Audyssey equailzation, disables the sub, and sends unaltered full range to the front R/L speakers only.

drought.
    That heat issue makes sense now...I can see people doing that & then scratching their heads as to why it shut down!

As far as the pure direct mode...why would it turn off the Audyssey, disable the sub & send only a full range signal to the mains? I love my Velo sub in two channel listening & don't want it disengaged, or the Audyssey to be turned off. Is there another form of two channel direct or can it be configured to the way you like it. Hopefully there's a solution.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR905 and I can confirm that the receiver gets VERY hot. But the unit only gets hot if you are using the video circuitry. If you use the "Pure" mode, it disables the video circuitry and the receiver cools down noticeably. When the video is enabled, the right rear section heats up considerably... looking inside reveals this to be the location of the HQV Reon video processor. HQV processors are known "ovens on a chip". Denon uses their Realta on their DVD-3930CI DVD and it can cook an egg.

On the other hand, Onkyo has really beefed up their amp sections on the -05 series of receivers. Read the Apr/May 2008 issues of "The $ensible Sound" for an in-depth breakdown of the Onkyo 705/805 receiver. They say of the 805 "For $1100, this is a magnificent assortment of state-of-the-art and near state-of-the-art parts"; it uses a PAIR of high performance... complementary devices where single devices are the norm. The 875 and 905 allows you to bridge four channels into two to increase output (estimated at over 200wpc). I can tell you that my 905 amp section sounds great with imaging and a soundstage to die for.

There was an issue with the current Onkyos... the TI DSPs used to decode DTS HD Master signals had a decoding bug from TI. This can be easily remedied by downloading and flashing the DSPs. Models with firmware 1.08 or later do not exhibit this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    That heat issue makes sense now...I can see people doing that & then scratching their heads as to why it shut down!

As far as the pure direct mode...why would it turn off the Audyssey, disable the sub & send only a full range signal to the mains? I love my Velo sub in two channel listening & don't want it disengaged, or the Audyssey to be turned off. Is there another form of two channel direct or can it be configured to the way you like it. Hopefully there's a solution.
    Audyssey is an equalization program. It uses the DSPs to alter the signal much like bass/treble controls, but with much finer resolution and over the entire spectrum. Bass management is also a manipulation of the signal in the AVR.

The whole idea of Pure Direct is to get as close to the original signal as possible. No tone control, no bass management. Anything else would be a mockery of 'pure' audio. That's the way Onkyo and many of the other receivers do it and IMHO, that's the correct way to do it. When I want to hear music on my SDAs, I don't want no sub interfering with my music.

If you want the sub and the Audyssey, just use the normal Stereo mode. It still sounds good, its just not Pure;)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I've owned both Marantz and Onkyo. More power should be quieter, give you better detail, and have an overal improved sound. The Marantz is a much better receiver. Cleaner sound, ran much cooler, more functions, etc. Both receivers ar now 5 years old and they are still running. My son has the Marantz, and my daughter has the Onkyo. I have upgraded to the Parasound Halo C-2 pre/pro, and three Halo amps:D. That is a whole new level.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    I've owned both Marantz and Onkyo. More power should be quieter, give you better detail, and have an overal improved sound. The Marantz is a much better receiver. Cleaner sound, ran much cooler, more functions, etc. Both receivers ar now 5 years old and they are still running. My son has the Marantz, and my daughter has the Onkyo. I have upgraded to the Parasound Halo C-2 pre/pro, and three Halo amps:D. That is a whole new level.
    The newest generation of Onkyo's are far superior to any previous generations. You cannot really compare the current models to one that is five years old. I am using the Onkyo 905 with a "bastard Polk" speaker, the Sony SS-M9. The depth and soundstage is simply amazing compared to my previous Denon and Sony receivers

(I consider the Sony SS-M9 a "bastard Polk" because the speaker was designed by a former Polk engineer, Dan Anagnos with a goal of making the best speaker he could design. The SS-M9 used Vifa tweeters (the predecessor to the LSi ring radiators) and Seas midrange units. the cabinets used 1" MDF and is veneered inside and out (how's that for details?). Also the cabinets were pyramid shapes to avoid standing resonances and to reduce diffraction from the drivers with the narrower widths on the top end. The speakers weigh 300 lbs and were rated Class B by Stereophile.)

the image shows the SS-M9ED which added the super-tweeter on the top of the cabinet...

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    I have an Onkyo TX-NR905 and I can confirm that the receiver gets VERY hot. But the unit only gets hot if you are using the video circuitry. If you use the "Pure" mode, it disables the video circuitry and the receiver cools down noticeably. When the video is enabled, the right rear section heats up considerably... looking inside reveals this to be the location of the HQV Reon video processor. HQV processors are known "ovens on a chip". Denon uses their Realta on their DVD-3930CI DVD and it can cook an egg.
    Not to start anything (I'm not anti-Onkyo) but it would seem to me that people who buy HD receivers would tend to use video, and more than a few would tend to use cabinets of some kind. I would have to consider any HD receiver / processor that can "cook an egg" to be one with a serious design flaw. If all it takes is adding a small fan, it would seem that Onkyo should have added it, or provided some passive cooling sinks/tubes to control it.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post
    Not to start anything (I'm not anti-Onkyo) but it would seem to me that people who buy HD receivers would tend to use video, and more than a few would tend to use cabinets of some kind. I would have to consider any HD receiver / processor that can "cook an egg" to be one with a serious design flaw. If all it takes is adding a small fan, it would seem that Onkyo should have added it, or provided some passive cooling sinks/tubes to control it.
    Most the Onkyo receivers do have fans. Some are uncomfortable about how high the temp gets before they kick on, so they add a fan.

From all the stories I have read about how hot they get, I have yet to read of anyone's shutting down due to overheating.

And all the brands of receivers I have seen lately, that contain decent video processing, run very warm, I don't think Onkyo's are much different.

Onkyo makes a great product. Marantz just makes a better one.

If you looked at What Hifi (a British publication), Onkyo won ALL three receiver categories for 2007. They tested Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Sony throughout the year and they said it was no contest. The Onkyo provided the best bang for the buck and also the best performance in each class.

The Brits said it's better to drink tea too but that don't make it so!

Hey Phill:
    I never owned a Marantz but a friend of mine did. I always liked Marantz gear. Did you ever consider Harmon Kardon? You can get some great deals on receivers from HK direct and they also sell on eBay.
    Also, what about just fixing the NAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyc View Post
    Hey Phill:
    I never owned a Marantz but a friend of mine did. I always liked Marantz gear. Did you ever consider Harmon Kardon? You can get some great deals on receivers from HK direct and they also sell on eBay.
    Also, what about just fixing the NAD?
    Hey Billy,

My main concern for going with another AVR was for HDMI connections. Then I did some reading & found out that for BlueRay you can use the 7.1 analog hookup in place of the HDMI. I always thought that you needed HDMI for BlueRay. Now that I know that I'm going to have the NAD serviced.

How's things going? Seen Joe lately.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Heres my opinion.

Marantz makes very nice good sounding receivers with there amps or as a pre. As suggested, they have a new preamp thats pretty interesting as I plan on checking it out myself.

Onkyo and Integra sucks. I don't personally like them at all.I feel they sound lousy. they perform lousy and over the years have done some stupid stuff like losing your rears if you want to power a 2nd zone with built in amps. I hate the entire DTR line.

Yamaha see Onkyo, I feel the same way. I don't like where Yamaha is at now. years ago they where great when the DSP1 was around. That was a great piece. It's gone along with Yamahas quality.

O and Denon, Well they are always featured packed with everything you need and alot you don't but I feel they are to boring. Lifeless sounding. I just did a Denon avr4808 with a nice focal surround package and it sounded lifeless even running DTS MA. I was shocked how much it lacked in Dynamic range. They don't sound bad , just lifeless. I really don't care for them anymore. They always been on the lifeless side. But some may like that, I like excitement.

Pioneer ELite also makes great sounding receivers as well as makes a nice preamp. Like Marantz they just sound better then others.

I think right now it sucks to be in the market for a new preamp. using a receiver as a preamp will get it done but over this year and into the next, I 'm hoping everyone comes out with a up to date pre.

Good luck with your upgrade man. you can't go wrong with the Marantz. Just make sure before you buy , it has everything you need.

Dan
    Last edited by mantis; 07-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thread Information