Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default trigger wire for automatic on-off

I'm interested in connecting my amp (Halo A23) to my pre (Halo P3) so that when I turn on/off my pre (by remote) the amp (which does not include a remote) turns on/off, as well. In the manual for the A23, I see that I can connect a trigger wire, or "cable with a 2.5mm sub-mini plug on each end" to the 12V input of the amp and the output of the pre. This wire is supposed to be provided. But, as I bought the A23 used, it appears that this cable was not included.

Does anyone know a place where I might be able to pick up such a trigger wire? Would CC or BB have them? Or some other store?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

Radio shack. 2.5mm is 1/8". Get a 1/8" mono cord. Something like this

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Radio shack will have them in different lengths. It's a simple cable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks guys.

Well, I just received the pre-amp a few days ago. Went to Radio Shack today and picked up a mono cord with 1/8" ends to serve as a trigger wire. Turns out that 1/8" ends are too large for trigger inputs/outputs on the pre- and the amp. I took it back to RS and attempted to look for a cord with smaller ends (1/16"???), but it seems like 1/8" is the smallest they carry (the sales people there weren't particularly helpful either; they really didn't know what I was trying to do).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I might try next. Again, the Parasound manuals say 2.5mm, but there just isn't much out there in metric terms. I'm wondering if it its even worth a trip to Circuit City/Best Buy to locate something like this?

I was gonna say 2.5mm ne 1/8 inch, but I guess you already figured that out :)

Here's what you need:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

You might also find things under 3/32

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    I was gonna say 2.5mm ne 1/8 inch, but I guess you already figured that out :)

Here's what you need:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

You might also find things under 3/32
    Yes, that looks more like it. I don't suppose you would happen to know if I can plug a cord with 1/8" ends into this, making two of these connectors a converter of sorts???

The guys at the closest Radio Shack aren't particularly knowledgeable and I don't feel like heading out to one farther away if I can help it. They do have these connectors in stock, so if I can find a cord to attach to them, I should be in good shape

They do make adapters, but you're better off breaking out the soldering iron....

Member Sales Rating: (14)

You're not finding the staff at Rat Shack to be helpful??? I find that.... shocking....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    You're not finding the staff at Rat Shack to be helpful??? I find that.... shocking....
    Yeah, no kidding. So far I've spoken to two Radio Shack "customer service representatives" on the phone and I do use that term lightly. They have no idea what I'm talking about. I made three trips to the store yesterday and spoke with three different employees and again utter consternation. Its not just that they didn't know which cable would or would not work...I felt they didn't even understand what I am trying to accomplish with the trigger wire. I'm usually not one to complain about this sort of thing. I understand that each person/employee can't have all the answers, however, if I was working there and I didn't know the answer I would at least do my best to call on someone else who was knowledgable and could help find a solution. The attitude that each of them had was...."Can't help you with that. Have a nice day. I know I am"

I felt like telling them that they should apprentice at Walmart's cake decorating department:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70472

Default Will this work?

They do make adapters, but you're better off breaking out the soldering iron....
    Hmmm...I'm afraid I don't even have a soldering iron. I'm definately not a handy guy.

Anyway, I just found one item on Amazon that might work. Does anyone have any insight as to whether the item linked below should do the trick as a "trigger wire"? The inputs and outputs on the amp and pre are definately 2.5mm. I see variants of this cable listed as Stereo and Mono, but in fact I don't need any sound transmitted, just an electronic signal from the Pre-amp to te Amp for turning the latter on/off.

http://www.amazon.com/3-2-5mm-Male-S...ecc_rvi_cart_1

I guess I've just run into one of the very minor drawbacks of buying used. Each of my three components from the Parasound Halo line that I've bought used from different sellers had at least one or two of these cords included in the original box, and yet I didn't receive a single one. And no surprise, I haven't received any replies from the sellers as to whether they still have the cord.
    Last edited by Norm Apter; 07-27-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I think you want mono instead of stereo.

This cable from radio shack should do the trick....

Michael

Edit - this is similar to the one Amulford linked to above, but is not attenuating. You have to watch using attenuating cords as they may drop the signal strength enough that they no longer will trigger the amp.

Edit #2 - Just read your post that 1/8" didn't work. Give me a min and I will find it in 2.5mm

Edit #3 - have you thought about just calling Parasound tomorrow and see if they will ship you a trigger wire?
    Last edited by McLoki; 07-27-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Thats a good idea. I definately would have done that from the get go if I was the original owner and had misplaced the cord, but I'll give it a shot and hopefully they won't make me prove to them that I am the original order.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Norm

Well, stereo is all I can find as well. At least you can get it a little cheaper at MonoPrice. I know mono is what you really want, but stereo may work. (just be more than what you need.) Good luck in your search....
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)

Cool. Appreciate the help here. I'll check with Parasound first thing in the morning and if they can't do anything I'll give the Monoprice cable a shot. Shoot, at less than $4 w/S&H and tax its well worth a try....

Thanks again.

While you are talking to Parasound, ask if a stereo 2.5mm cable will work. (why waste the $4 if you don't have to....)

Since they're both parasounds, the stereo one should work.

Sometimes you'll find mono jacks that have the shield contact in the ring position (of tip, ring, shield). Since you have matching gear, it's likely they use the same jacks & it wouldn't matter since both would be touching the ring position.

Since they're both parasounds, the stereo one should work.

Sometimes you'll find mono jacks that have the shield contact in the ring position (of tip, ring, shield). Since you have matching gear, it's likely they use the same jacks & it wouldn't matter since both would be touching the ring position.
    Good call, Unc!

Here's the reply I got from Parasound this morning:

"Hello Norm, A 2.5mm stereo cable will work fine in a mono application such as a trigger function. Only the tip and sleeve are used in mono, the ring will go unused so there's no problem using a stereo cable. Regards,
    Tom DeFiglio
    Parasound Technical Services"

Pretty much the same exact reasoning you provided, Unc. So, I just went ahead and ordered the one the McLoki found at Monoprice.

Glad I could help out. If that doesn't work out for any reason lemme know and I'll see if I can round up one for you- I think i've got one sitting in a box somewhere around here.

Default It works!

I just received the 2.5mm stereo cable from Monoprice and plugged it into the amp and pre-amp. Good news: it works!

Thanks again, guys.

Norm

Thread Information