Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default SDA SRS-2 questions.

I am thinking of trading my Rocket 550 MkIIs for a pair of these beasts. The SRS-2 I am interested in appears to be in very good sonic condition. I do not know, nor does the owner(he is the 3rd) if anything has been altered. The speakers seem to work ok but I have not yet put them through the ringer. Since they blew up a plate glass window the last time they got cranked, I am being careful to avoid the 1812 cannon bit lol.

Question is are these sustainable speakers? How do they compare in terms of detail and midrange compared to excellent modern entry level speakers like my 550s?

I have had very limited time with the SRS and that is why I am asking those whom have lived with theirs for years and have heard several other pairs of newer speakers. Obviously, nothing is going to touch these in terms of bass extension!

Thanks and please do ask me anything important which I have left out.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Are they SDA SRS 2's?. If so, I think that if you have the right components in place,you have the opportunity to have a very respectable 2 ch system.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Yes. Polk Audio SDA SRS-2 on the back. Big ole 4 mids two tweets and one flat 12" on the bottom.

My only concern is midrange and high freq performance compared to my 550s. Not that I expect many to have heard both but what are the mids and highs comparable to in a modern speaker? That is the issue. Largely due to the speakers being heavy as hell and I can't just take them home for an audition lol. I am bringing my portable rig over to test drive them. He has them hooked up to a sad little receiver with only scratchy fm playback.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Some people like SDA's over anything else, some people don't; you have heard them, so it's your call if you like them better than your Rockets. No one can decide for you. ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

One more thing; they probably have the original tweeters; there's a replacement that sounds a lot better. Most SDA owners have replaced them getting smoother highs. (There is one member here that will offer a magical solution adding some caps to the stock SL2000 tweeters....don't pay attention).
    Crossover upgrades (same component values, better components) also provide significant sonic improvements.

So if you think you like them as they are, they can get better.

SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Properly powered and setup SDAs (I've got the power, but a poor setup due to room constraints) might lack a shade of detail to some modern speakers...and that's only from my limited experience. However, I've heard nothing close in the size and depth of soundstage coupled with weight and slam they provide. Someone recently said, that studio recordings sound live and live recordings sound "more live". That's as good a description as any. Last weekend I went over to ivansfo's house and listened to his VA Grand Mozart setup. I was impressed, laid back, accurate, wide and transparent. When I brought the same demo material back to my place, it confirmed my thoughts above. My 1Cs are arguably a slight step down from the SRS2, so take it from there ;).

edit: The RDO-194 tweeter is very controlled and smooth. It's not my favorite tweeter, but I preferred it to the stock SL2000. The midrange is where the rubber meets the road. Comparing it to a conventional speakers mids is somewhat difficult due to sheer scale and what the SDA effect does to instrument placement within the soundstage. As Ricardo said, you either dig it immediately...or not.
    Last edited by Ron Temple; 07-10-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (47)

If you throw in a quality high current ss amp,a good tubed pre such as an ELP,and a good source,,those speakers will disappear and the rest is magic,, but seriously,, if you are going to audition them,,then do so with something more than a receiver,,just my .02 worth. Good luck,,I owned a pair and wish that I had NEVER sold them.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

ah room size. is there a minimum requirement? mine is small but we are moving to a house with 12' ceilings and at least 15' x 15' rooms. Right now? Don't ask, it is too small. My 550s barely work right.

I only have a sherwood 6500 receiver, vista laptop with winamp ogg vorbis plug in lossless, Trends Audio UD-10 usb to coax converter. All very entry level but solid.

Certainly do intend to upgrade but am disabled for a few months and can't work.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    ah room size. is there a minimum requirement? mine is small but we are moving to a house with 12' ceilings and at least 15' x 15' rooms. Right now? Don't ask, it is too small. My 550s barely work right.

I only have a sherwood 6500 receiver, vista laptop with winamp ogg vorbis plug in lossless, Trends Audio UD-10 usb to coax converter. All very entry level but solid.

Certainly do intend to upgrade but am disabled for a few months and can't work.
    A width of 15' may work, I currently have a pair of SRS-2's in a room that size. With a room that size, you'll definitely need a high current amp pushing them. A receiver will either overheat or take out the drivers in your speakers.

Coming from someone who is also temporarily disabled, have fun moving them around. :D Hand truck and a blanket is the way to go.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I currently have a pair of SRS-2's
    Don't go getting too comfortable with those... when my work is done on the new house, they are coming home. I just thought I would remind you.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by m00npie View Post
    Don't go getting too comfortable with those... when my work is done on the new house, they are coming home. I just thought I would remind you.

:D
    :D :D :D

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Moon if Face gives you any problems just twist him a little:p
    Sorry Face. Hope all is well.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'm running my sda 1b's in a 9.5 x 12 room and they sound fantastic. I don't crank them and there's no reason to in a room that size.

You'll be amazed at how good the stock sl2000 tweeters sound. They are what make the sda's everything they are known for and then some.

I told you......

SOPA

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by candyliquor35m View Post
    You'll be amazed at how good the stock sl2000 tweeters sound. They are what make the sda's everything they are known for and then some.
    Kinda makes you wonder why Polk upgraded to the SL3000's Then the RDO's
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Can I tell what tweet it is by looking at it or do I need to take it out?

The ones that I saw were different. Silver, not black.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Silver could be the SL3000, but I was not aware that tweeter was offered in the SRS 2. Maybe somebody swapped them?

The SL2000's have a silver dome; those pictures make them look funny, or maybe there was a darker "batch".
    If the leads look like those, they are SL2000's, which they probably are because it was the only tweeter that came with the SRS 2's.

SOPA

The leads do look like those. damn. they look new except one has a vertical indentation. Are they kind of gel-like tweets? I had a pair of ads with those. Too bright for my tastes.

ads L420. I found them on the curb lol. Just needed a new fuse in one of them. Good, efficient speakers for monitors but too up tilted for me.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Well, SL2000s they are then. The tweeter looks the same as the on in the ADS line, but it is a different tweeter. Enjoy the speakers.

Ok. How much is it to update them? Approx is fine. I would feel no hurry of course. Unless they are going out of stock lol.

Call Polk, tell them you're a member of Club Polk, and order up 4 RD0-194's.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Since they blew up a plate glass window the last time they got cranked, I am being careful to avoid the 1812 cannon bit
    It's not that I don't believe you, but I don't. What amp were you driving the SDA's with and what was the SPL?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Not me lol. The previous owner. I never met the man. Supposedly, he had several setups so...

I have no reason to doubt anyone though it does seem unbelievable. I never even though much of it. Figured it might be possible given the specs and some crappy glass lol. Who knows? Maybe he was drunk and threw something through it.

I have no reason to doubt anyone though it does seem unbelievable. I never even though much of it. Figured it might be possible given the specs and some crappy glass lol. Who knows? Maybe he was drunk and threw something through it.
    Or leaned the speaker against it.

I just picked up another pair of vintage speakers, I am looking for the fabric for the grill and sides for the SDA-2's. Someone's Cat was enjoying them.
    HT Theater

SRS-SDA 2.3tl RDO's
    Custom Center made out of a RTA15tl
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    CineNova Grande 5 channel Amp
    Klipsch KA-1000-THX Sub Amp
    (2)Klipsch KW-120-THX Subs

Basement System

SRS-SDA 1.2 upgraded Xover
    Pioneer Elite SC-25 Receiver
    ADCOM GFA 5500
    ADCOM GFA 5503
    Yahama P7000S Pro Audio Amp
    dbx 120x-ds Sub-harmonic Synthesizer
    2-JBL 4645C Subs
    1-Paradigm SW2200 Sub
    Klipsch Reference in wall's

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Ok. How much is it to update them? Approx is fine. I would feel no hurry of course. Unless they are going out of stock lol.
    If they are in stock, the RD0194-1's at the discount price for Club Polk Members are $48 each with free 2 day shipping.

I own a pair of SRS 2's as well but I have not done any work to them yet but I would imagine that the costs to redo the crossovers with new caps & resistors should be around $300 for the pair. It might be less, I haven't priced it out yet.

Some people here have replaced the binding posts as well,

Congrats on getting the SRS 2's, they are a great pair of speakers!!!!

Here's a very short video of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JdA4349VEQ

Lasareath
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information