Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Denon AVR-3808CI or Onkyo TX-SR875? NEED TO BUY TODAY

The Denon is about $300 more than the onkyo but I've always had Denon and I trust them.

My first Onkyo (805) arrived DOA

Feature they seems very much alike but the 875 seems to have raving reviews on the upconvert. The denon = brand reconition and my 10 years old 3802 still worked flawlessly like day 1

WHAT TO DO?
    Sammy UN55C6400
    Onkyo TX-SR875
    Def Tech: Mythos One, Three, Six
    Velodyne DPS-12
    MartinLogan Dynamo 10

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I have the 3808. Previously I had a 3803. If I ever buy another receiver ( I doubt it..) it will probably be a Denon.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Onkyo 875 has much better video processing capability (Reon) if that matters to you. Better amp section too (THX Ultra2). The Denon has better networking features. I'd get the Onkyo, but then again, I'm an 805 user.

Previous to that, I was a Denon user. All told, I've had about 4 different Denon receivers (and still have a 3300 in my bedroom)

They are both fine products.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

i went ahead and order the 875 for the video and the 10 extra watts :)

I like the GUI of the denon but I thought, I don't buy a receiver to look at the GUI. LOL
    Sammy UN55C6400
    Onkyo TX-SR875
    Def Tech: Mythos One, Three, Six
    Velodyne DPS-12
    MartinLogan Dynamo 10

Member Sales Rating: (0)

the onkyo has a beefier power supply than the denon. uses separate power supplies in the video and audio circuits for less interference. video processor in onkyo (HQV Reon) is better than the Denon (outdated Faroudja DCDi). Onkyo was been outperforming Denon is most comparison testing...

I concur with jon s, Dannieboiz. The processing chip in the Onkyo does a superior job than the Denon when it comes to video processing. Standard def. and High def. alike. You actually have to go all the up to Denons 5308 to better the video processing of the Onkyo. Coincidentally it uses Silicon Optixs flagship Realta chip. The Onkyo just uses a scaled down version of this chip called the Reon.

I hope this helps you out. Take Care, BB3

Just bought an Onk 875 a couple of weeks ago and do not regret it. I say this in case you're inclined toward buyer's remorse!

But it does get hot. Those who think otherwise have never owned one. If it is going in an enclosed cab, you NEED a fan.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    Onkyo 875 has much better video processing capability (Reon) if that matters to you. Better amp section too (THX Ultra2). The Denon has better networking features. I'd get the Onkyo, but then again, I'm an 805 user.
    Does the 805 use the same video processor as the 875?

No, it uses Faroudja DCDi. See
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...onkyo-tx-sr805
    at the bottom of the page.

Just as food for thought. If you invest in a high quality DVD player, like the Denon 3930CI - which "I think" has a higher level video processor in it than the Onkyo 875, then you don't need a receiver with video upgrade capability, and can avoid the heat associated with that chip being in an amplifier which already generates enough heat. The 3930CI is an expensive unit ($1500 list), but you get what you pay for. Many reviews I've read about it suggest it has both superior audio as well as video processing compared to any other unit, certainly at that price range. I am considering this unit myself now, paring it with a mid-level decent receiver as a prepro - like the Yamaha RX-V863, and then a good ICEpower / Class D amplifier.

The only reason I would go with the RX-V863 over the 663 is for HD radio, which I want to get. The 863 also has an additional HDMI input. I haven't made a final decision on this yet, but it's what I'm considering at the moment. I haven't ruled out the possibility of going with a Denon receiver, but they tend to be pricier, and if I'm not really using it for the amplifier, I don't see the value in the additional cost. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I welcome your comments.

Regards.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Just as food for thought. If you invest in a high quality DVD player, like the Denon 3930CI - which "I think" has a higher level video processor in it than the Onkyo 875, then you don't need a receiver with video upgrade capability, and can avoid the heat associated with that chip being in an amplifier which already generates enough heat. The 3930CI is an expensive unit ($1500 list), but you get what you pay for. Many reviews I've read about it suggest it has both superior audio as well as video processing compared to any other unit, certainly at that price range.
    The best video processing available in any player, is the ABT used in the Oppo HD-983. The only player to ever get a perfect score on the Secrets of home theater benchmarks. And it's only $399.

That said, I could not tell the difference between the Oppo 983 and my Pioneer DV-48AV, when running the Pio's output at 480i and letting the Reon in my 885 do the scaling and de-interlacing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    The best video processing available in any player, is the ABT used in the Oppo HD-983. The only player to ever get a perfect score on the Secrets of home theater benchmarks. And it's only $399.

That said, I could not tell the difference between the Oppo 983 and my Pioneer DV-48AV, when running the Pio's output at 480i and letting the Reon in my 885 do the scaling and de-interlacing.
    While both audio and video are important to me, I'm actually more interested in the audio capability of a player. In this regard, the reviews I've read suggest that the Denon 39390CI is an excellent performer. I'd be interested to know if the Oppo is considered as good an audio player as it is a video player. Any comments about these reviews will be appreciated as well.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=132

http://www.sacdmods.com/DVD3930.htm

Thanks.

Thread Information