Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Virgin Blu-ray Demo

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have what I would consider a 'hi-end' HT setup, but it is respectable.

This weekend I had some friends over for a BBQ and a 'hi-def' movie to show off my setup with Blu-ray.

After a nice dinner on the patio, we dimmed the lights and I popped in the "5th Element" (remastered) on the PS3 and turned up the sound.

It was with somewhat admitted smug satisfaction as my friends were awestruck with the PQ as none of them have seen a big screen blu-ray movie with a semi-decent sound system behind it.

After the movie, practically every one of my friends said that they are now considering a blu-ray and that SD-DVDs just don't compare.

Even I still gawk at a good bd movie - the wow factor is still a kick! :)

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Welcome to the club; I agree 100%, but I still can't justify replacing all my SD-DVDs with Blu-Rays just yet. I just buy everything I buy new on BR if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Intoxia Surroundus!! The opposite of anorexia for audiophiles.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Hey my currant HT setup consist of an etcha sketch, and 2 monster SDA's. You are doing fine:) Change the way you wired your sub:p
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Hey my currant HT setup consist of an etcha sketch, and 2 monster SDA's. You are doing fine:) Change the way you wired your sub:p
    Ben
    They just had an earthquake at the Etcha-Sketch factory in China, it nolonger exists :D Whatcha gonna do you spare parts now I'm going to wait for the next BIG format to rear it's ugly head before buying hardware........... I'm waiting...:p

Craig
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Erik,

congrats on your set up.. and the cool movie watching experience for your friends too...

friends don't let friends watch standard def movies anymore. :p

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I won't be replacing my entire collection either, but some movies are definitely worth having in hi-def. I remember reading some bad reviews of the Fifth Element on Blu Ray, are there different versions?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    They just had an earthquake at the Etcha-Sketch factory in China, it nolonger exists :D Whatcha gonna do you spare parts now I'm going to wait for the next BIG format to rear it's ugly head before buying hardware........... I'm waiting...:p

Craig
    Well, for gamers the choice is easy to dive in now with a PS3; I got a good deal on it, so I view the BR abilities as an added bonus. BUT, all HDMI v1.3a hardware (cabling, at least) can support up to 1440p (the new ULTRA VIOLET RAY!!!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Intoxia Surroundus!! The opposite of anorexia for audiophiles.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I won't be replacing my entire collection either, but some movies are definitely worth having in hi-def. I remember reading some bad reviews of the Fifth Element on Blu Ray, are there different versions?
    Yes there are 2 different versions, if your going to be picking one up make sure its the one with the Dolby TrueHD sound track and not the one with just PCM, the one with the TrueHD track is the newer remastered version and is near reference quality, the other from what I've read is just horrible looking.

Thread Information