Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default What new component(s) were you disappointed with?

Be honest. This is not a brand bashing thread since most of the components we buy are fairly high quality and we all already know what brands to stay away from.

At the same time, do not try to defend any of the brands mentioned in this thread. It is not a discussion thread. It is only a informational thread for members to share their minor, medium, or major disappointments with gear and such.

No limits here. Talk about components, tubes, wires, cables, tt cartridges, tweaks, caps, power conditioners, etc.

1. Jolida JD-100 tube cdp: I fell in love with this when I got it. It is a high quality unit that probably 99% of the population would thoroughly enjoy. It wasn't until I started tube rolling to try to give it a warmer sound that I began to get disappointed. The fact that a telefunken 12ax7 didn't compliment the already great sound of this unit disappointed me tremendously. After trying pretty much all the tubes that are known to sound good in this unit but didn't meet my need for tube warmth, I decided to pursue other tube cdps that would give me the warm tube sound that I am after.

Banned

2. Polk SDA CRS+ speakers: These did fine for 10 years as rears in my ht but for music, I wasn't impressed with them so I sold them. To me, they didn't sound any better than my jbl 4311b's. They weren't even close to sounding as good as my sda 2b's. I'm not knocking them. I just didn't find that they met my expectations.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD player with discontinued Phillip transport and no XLR output was the worst component that I had owned. Excelent and beautiful sound but again bad transport that can not be replacable.
    Last edited by haimoc; 08-12-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

CRS+'s need a wall to reflex the bass. The distance to the wall makes a great difference. Out of all the SDA's the CRS's are the most placement picky. Yes they don't sound good if not placed correctly. I agree.
    Polk R50 were great starter speakers but was lacking.

engtaz

Member Sales Rating: (3)

LSI-C. I am hoping that when I move them to a new room and/or give them a different amp that they improve. But, I have not been impressed with this speaker at all. I love the 15s, but the C just doesn't do it for me at all. It is very clear, but it sounds thin and lacks power, imo.
    Emotiva LMC pre/pro
    Emotiva LPA amp
    Fronts LSI15
    Center LSIC
    Rears LSI7s
    Dual MFW-15s
    Oppo 980H
    Signal Analog II ICs
    Signal Ultra speaker cables

Member Sales Rating: (0)

McCormack UDP-1 universal player. An underwhelming performer, if you ask me.
    Von Schweikert VR4-jr
    Valve Audio Predator
    Denon DVD-2900
    PS Audio Digital Link III w/Cullen Level IV Mods
    Pro-Ject Xpression w/Blue Point No. 2
    Graham Slee Special Edition 2
    PS Audio UPC-200

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by haimoc View Post
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD player with discontinued Phillip transport and no XLR output was the worst component that I had owned. Excelent and beautiful sound but again bad transport that can not be replacable.
    It's not fair to blame Musical Fidelity for the problem. Philips is to blame for building a transport with an expected 100% failure rate and for not offering a replacement.

The Philips transport that MF used was also used by Krell and Marantz with the same failure problem.

The Tri-Vista SACD/CD player itself was a built like a tank and the sound was exceptional.

As for CL's comments on the Jolida and the CRS+'s. It's obvious that can't hear worth a crap. So, with that in mind, one can discount anything he says.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Banned

This is not a debate thread so don't try to defend any of the disappointments mentioned here.

This thread is for members to voice their disappointments without fear of being attacked.

The title says new but I meant new or used.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    ... As for CL's comments on the Jolida and the CRS+'s. It's obvious that (he can't) can't hear worth a crap. So, with that in mind, one can discount anything he says.
    Ya, I bought the CRS+s from him and thought they sounded far better than those same 4311 JBLs that I had in the past. I didn't side-by-side compare, but it was the same receiver and CD player. Later, when I bought the RDO-194s from him and listened to them, well damn! They are nice. I did try his cap, and it sounded stale and I told him that. So, well, he is what he is and his tastes can be discounted because he is apparently hearingimpaired...

Quote Originally Posted by candyliquor35m View Post
    This is not a debate thread so don't try to defend any of the disappointments mentioned here.

This thread is for members to voice their disappointments without fear of being attacked.

You don't make the rules on the forum, contrary to what you think.

All threads take different directions, live with it.

In your third sentance, you are changing the "rules"; apparently that is okay for you but not someone with a different point of view.

I'll post what I want in this thread. Don't like it? You have my permission to go cry in the corner.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

GV#27

So I take there are a bunch of these players ready for the scrap pile.I would like to find one for parts.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

This is frickin' hilarious; you're going to tell us how we can comment on the PF......Haaaahhhaaaaahahhhhaaaahhaaaaaaahhaaaa. If you don't like the way others comment then don't start the thread. I understand you want the responses to be in a certain way but this is the wrong place to expect that. We have opinions and we are going to share them.

Very few people on this board respect you so I doubt they will follow your wishes......perhaps if you had been less of an instigator then you could get someone to take you a wee bit seriously.
    H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 08-13-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

And my for-sale thread wasn't a place for you to spew your bull****, but that didn't seem to stop you. And that actually is in the forum rules.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Why is it a negative for a CD player to not improve with a different tube? Shouldn't that be a sign that Jolida did their homework and made a great sounding, high-value product?
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Banned

This is not a discussion thread. TYVM

Post your disappointsments without fear of being attacked and move on.

I am disappointed that you haven't been permanently banned yet. TYVM.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

All threads are for discussion, get over it. Or better yet, move to another forum.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Wow, stop with the flames. This is ridiculous. I understand where the OP is coming from. Disappointing audio/video equipment is an opinion, and it's nice to be able to share without being rebutted.

And to F1, I'm surprised you're so quick to take a hostile tone. I would have expected someone like you to have more restraint.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Intoxia Surroundus!! The opposite of anorexia for audiophiles.

Gee John, I'm sorry you don't get the big picture. It'll be ok though, you can join CL for a good cry in the corner.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

LSU, Louisiana "In a galaxy far far away"

Again.. I just scroll down to read the Tags. ..
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Wow....

Between Carl's "This is not a discussion thread" and John's backing that up, just wow....I don't even know how to respond to that...

It's my understanding that this is a FORUM and that everything is up for discussion...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke88 View Post
    Wow, stop with the flames. This is ridiculous.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    ...It's my understanding that this is a FORUM and that everything is up for discussion...
    No, Carl is a protected species and different rules apply to him.

Lets see

1) Rotel rsp1069. They release it s a preamp / processor but it doesn't process any of the new audio formats. That sucks. Not to mention it's only 1.1 hdmi and no ability to upgrade as far as I know.

2) B&K ref 707. This might be ok but right now it sucks. 1.3b HDMI but no decoding. is it so hard to add it in? It's like dvd all over again in the beginning. I hate it.

3) HD DVD. Slow as hell to start up. Ok how do you made the latest and great and be the slowest. I remember Installing the first Tosiba and the customer just hating on it. Now HD DVD is gone. So I hate it.

4) Blu ray. R U Kidding me?? The best player still is a game system. All stand alone players suck the ball bag. I hate every single one of them. I'm a stand alone kinda guy and I own the damn Ps3 as my Blu ray player. The industry rolled out Blu ray horrible.

5) Ps3. I love it and hate it. Why o why can't Sony just put Rs232 or Ir control on the damn thing. What about Ip control? hell it should do something other then damn Blue Tooth. That really sucks ass. I love everything else about it but this bothers me allday.

6) Most every receiver. Why can't they handle a 4 ohm load? Even the highest end receivers all struggle with a 4 ohm load. You lose all your dynamics or it goes into Protection. I'm talking about 2 to 5 k receivers. At that price you should have a solid piece but NOOOOO you can't have it. I'm mad at it all.

7) Lsi. So ok you want better polks but look MOM 4 ohm load. **** every where you go to listen to them, they have receivers that can't properly drive them so you can hear them. So what is the point? I'm hoping on 6 ohm load in the future models but who knows.

8) Powered towers. Enough said.

9) the last 3 years of Yamaha receivers.

10) Monster cable . There cables are not the problem, it's the company.

11) Pro Solution Optical cables. These are suppose to be a Pro grade cable. Ok you plug in there optical cable, the wind blows outside and they fall out. I have 12 dollar optical cables on my van that work and stay in much better then them.

I'm gonna stop here as I may start really offending everyones gear. I'm pissed off right now about the Industry as a whole and want nothing for things to settle down. DVD AUDIO and SACD are classic examples of things that are a good thing and get killed. I hate it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Lets see

1) Rotel rsp1069. They release it s a preamp / processor but it doesn't process any of the new audio formats. That sucks. Not to mention it's only 1.1 hdmi and no ability to upgrade as far as I know.

The same thing happened to Arcam, too. Arcam believes that it is better to let DVD players to decode the new HD sound format ..

The same thing happened to Arcam, too. Arcam believes that it is better to let DVD players to decode the new HD sound format ..
    Thats exaclty what I find funny. How many players on the market can decode all the new formats and send them over HDMI?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thread Information