Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Why are Club Polk members so hostile/unfriendly to new members???

I just wanted to take this comment out of another thread, and ask in a separate thread.

Why are the "old" Club Polk members so hostile and unfriendly to the new members? I keep getting an idea of 5-year-olds playing in "their own sandbox" and being very irritated when somebody wants to play there too.

Your behaviour on this forum not only turns away the new members, but also lowers and disrespects reputation of the Polk brand as a whole.

It's amazing how the Club Polk forum community becomes more and more unfriendly (for the lack of stronger words) to the newcomers. I haven't read many threads, but answers like this are simply pathetic. It's great that the community stands for its members (as evident by support in the flea market threads, etc.), but it becomes amazingly hostile to the new members.

You, people, who know each other, etc. may bicker with each other, but why are you are so much against new members? Thread comments that carry no value, zero information and are pretty much offensive will definitely turn potential Polk owners / future club members away from Polk products.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've seen this from time to time, but you seem to indicate it's the norm around here, in which case I'm unaware of it.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I think in general it depends on how someone presents themselves when they join. People who come on, say hi and ask a question get treated GREAT. Everyone says hello and welcome, answers their questions, etc.

When people come on and either are obviously just trying to sell something, or come on just to stir up the pot in one of the Clubhouse threads... there's not much leeway given there.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I haven't noticed much hostility towards new members who have come here with questions and kept their attitude in check. If you go approach a group of people at some event who know each other and have formed a continuous social interaction, and start being the know-it-all and giving them a bunch of attitude, what happens? It's not really an online/internet problem, and what applies in normal face-to-face social settings and the accepted norms in that type of interaction apply in an internet forum. Sometimes you have to go along to get along and gain acceptance prior to becoming part of the "in" or "accepted" social circle.

Those who come here with an agenda, or to quickly sell some things, or to scam someone, meet with a very gentle but proper reception. Try what happened recently in the Flea Market on some other forums, and you better move and get your arse in hiding because someone is going to pay you a visit.

All in all, this is a pretty nice online community.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Oh, this is gonna be a fun thread!
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (26)

WTF are you talking about? I haven't seen this?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

to me, its not a question of unfriendliness. ClubPolk is a social circle, albeit an online one obviously. Anytime you have a group of people large or small gathered for the same reasons or under a same flag so to speak, you have a social circle.

As in any aspect of life, when you walk into a certain situation, you have to feel things out so that you can either a)blend yourself into that social circle and yield whatever positives you can or b)know the circle well enough to know you want no part of it.

While there are many new members who have come on here over the years and reaped the benefits (knowlege resource, comraderie, sharing a what some would call a sick and debilitating hobby :) ). We'll never really know how many have come on and blended seamlessly, as they make no waves when doing so.

Some have come aboard with little to no respect for the fact that they are entering a new social circle and need to act accordingly. Its called social skills, some have em, some dont. Some people know how to ingratiate themselves into a new social circle, some don't

Granted, some of the more senior members have had some knee jerk moments, but they're human, just like everyone else. such is life.

just out of curiosity, has there been any new instances of "new members being run off?" or are we just bringing this topic up again for kicks and giggles :p
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Oh and in case you didn't realize, stupidity, insolence, shadiness and general poop-chuterry (it's not a real word, I made it up. I'm awesome!) are not suffered lightly here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    I just wanted to take this comment out of another thread, and ask in a separate thread.

Why are the "old" Club Polk members so hostile and unfriendly to the new members? I keep getting an idea of 5-year-olds playing in "their own sandbox" and being very irritated when somebody wants to play there too.

Your behaviour on this forum not only turns away the new members, but also lowers and disrespects reputation of the Polk brand as a whole.
    You are 100% right and it's gone on too long. So long that it's become the norm on here.

There's no doubt that the behavior of this forum directly affects polk's bottom line. I wish I could say in a positive way but not a chance. It's all negative.

Just listen to the off the shelf denials. They have them down to a science :D :(

And it doesn't just apply to newbies. Anyone that has a different opinion than the mob gets violently attacked, ridiculed, belittled and called childish names :o

In fact this has nothing to do with newbies. Anyone that disagrees with the mob will get beat down like they just robbed the local rabbi :o[
    Last edited by candyliquor35m; 08-15-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohskigod View Post
    just out of curiosity, has there been any new instances of "new members being run off?" or are we just bringing this topic up again for kicks and giggles :p
    I was wondering that too.

Quote Originally Posted by candyliquor35m View Post
    Nothing of any value was posted here.
    OK, just the mere fact that this guy is still hanging around is proof that what the OP is talking about doesn't exist.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

You want examples?

Just in the last 2 days (and yes, I saw more threads like this):

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69631

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71097

Regarding being a social group... I will reiterate that the way that this group supports each other is great, but there is one big BUT.

This forum is different from forums such as AVS Forums, Audiogon, etc. Those forums are essentially (or are supposed to be) brand-neutral. On the other hand, this forum is part of the POLK AUDIO website. Members of this forum are pretty much all owners or previous owners of Polk gears. When the new members here come for advice or just to participate, negative and hostile behaviour towards them will pretty much lead to these members going away from Polk products and leaving (undeserved) negative feedback to the Polk products.
    I honestly don't think that Polk as a company will be happy with the behaviour of its Club members, which deteriorates brand's reputation on its own site.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Here, this must be the thread being referenced.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...lub+Polk+forum

Do you suggest that we hang zingo? Maybe torture him a little bit?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

The first thread you link to is someone who joined just to sell something.

The second one was someone making a very mild joke.

C'mon. Seriously, people need thicker skin.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

You know what's funny here? It seems like you are wanting to police the forum. I believe that the mods are doing well enough and BTW....you violated the same freakin' rule that you reported on the FM thread.

This thread is a disgrace to the forum.

LSU, Louisiana "In a galaxy far far away"

You want examples?

I'm sorry, my freind, but those are bad examples.

In the first example, the OP got 25 post and started selling something.

In the second example, one comment was made to the OP, in light of such a general question.

I'm not saying there isnt room to light'n up abit, but those 2 were just not good examples.

In another room (thread) we have a cable "debate". Whats new there
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

OHHHHHHH!!! So YOU are the one who posted the original quote!

This makes alot of sense now.

And since when did zingo speak for the forum? One guy's lame attempt at humor does not go for the rest of us.

Dude, you're over-reacting. Seriously. The forum self-police itself with a heaping dose of skepticism laced with biting sarcasm. Just the fact that people with obvious scams and attitude problems get the verbal beat down should be enough to keep the rest of teh people wanting to participate honest.

Like what Lou already said, nobody has been "run-off". If they act like a douche and decide to wise up and stay, fine, glad to have them. If they act like a douche and decided to leave, that is on them. We have a thriving and active forum here and yes, there are some issues but overall, this is a place that benefits Polk Audio. The Clubhouse is NOT the only forum here. The rest are littered with help and advice for newbs and veterans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by candyliquor35m View Post
    Nothing of value was posted here.
    Oh, and BTW, don't listen to this dude. He says the forum told him he was wrong about his "tweeter and cap mod" but in reality it was SCIENCE that told him he was wrong. He just has a problem accepting it.

I know that whole science deal can be a bitter pill to swallow sometimes. It's pretty tough to handle the truth when it can hurt so much. Especially after it smacks you in the face and tells you to wise up ya big dummy!

You want examples?

lets look at these examples in detail shall we?

1st thread,

You have someone in there first post with a screen name of BIGVAG? dude, if you think this guy was, or is, a potential polk customer....then i dont know what to tell you. I might be going out on a limb by saying that

a) having a name with the word VAG in it and

b) submitting what can be loosly interpreted as a near ridiculous offer for a product that flies in the face of what the OP stated he wanted for it.....in his first post no less

was a combination destined for failure.

yes, someone responded with a bit of a wiseass comment, but that in itself does not constitute bad treatment to me, thats someone doing a bad job of ingratiiating himself into a social circle and getting a little zing for it.

Lets look at the second example shall we?

We have someone asking a very broad and non descript qurstion, and getting a bit of a wisecracking non descript answer from one member (ONE)

New member reacted a bit harshly to it, and to a degree i felt where he was coming from, though he could have handled it better.

Some members came in and tried to give the lad some more guidance until

THE INTERNET HEROES POPPED IN!!!! WOO HOOO.

that would be you (viper) and Candy. they way you both posted in that thread did far more damage to our reputation than any one liner or quip ever could. did you actually thing you were helping. are we actually to believe at this point that your actually looking out for ClubPolk's or Polk Audio's best interests by acting like whiny schoolchildren (not for insult, I'm being dead serious here)

The both of you are very quick to cast judgement and dispersion o other members, but place no blame and responsibility on yourselves. hey, were not perfect here and some of us are more simple creatures than others, but what you are doing by handling this situation the way you are is certainly not to solve the problem, and you both know it.

In the second example, I saw members actually try to act the right way and had those efforts SQUASHED by your and Candy's actions.

and then, an entirely new thread on this on top of you posting and casting judgement on EVERYONE's response........as it is apparently the only reason why you are here now, and your going to have the flat out audacity to cast judgement on others? your out of your tree if you think this is a prudent way to handle this my friend, I dont know what else to tell you
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    you violated the same freakin' rule that you reported on the FM thread.
    :
    ding ding, forgot to mention that

2 Channel -

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Oh, and BTW, don't listen to this dude. He says the forum told him he was wrong about his "tweeter and cap mod" but in reality it was SCIENCE that told him he was wrong. He just has a problem accepting it.

I know that whole science deal can be a bitter pill to swallow sometimes. It's pretty tough to handle the truth when it can hurt so much. Especially after it smacks you in the face and tells you to wise up ya big dummy!
    I rest my case your honor.

Have a nice day. I know I am ;)
    Last edited by candyliquor35m; 08-15-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    I think in general it depends on how someone presents themselves when they join. People who come on, say hi and ask a question get treated GREAT. Everyone says hello and welcome, answers their questions, etc.

When people come on and either are obviously just trying to sell something, or come on just to stir up the pot in one of the Clubhouse threads... there's not much leeway given there.
    What he said. That was my first experience here and has continued to be my experience ever since.

Just have some manners, treat people kindly and anyone can do just fine here. I've been tremendously blessed by so many people here.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger

Candy, you have...and continue, to display that you have lost all willingness or desire to be a genuine contributing member of this forum. You exist here solely to stir the pot and you know it. while i respect the mods here, the fact that they do not recognize what you've been about lately is a bit unsettling.

this isnt about viewpoints or opinions. Your sole purpose has devolved to enflame any situation as you see fit, making you just as guilty as the people you think are the biggest problems here.

its really sad you dont see that man. It really is.

2 Channel -

Member Sales Rating: (39)

I'm pretty sure most of the "insults" and/or unfriendliness can be attributed to subtle sarcasm, gentle ribbing (not the condom ribbing, the other kind), etc.

Some people possess the ability to process this information through their humor-glands, others lack that skill. Different strokes for different folks, but maybe we should just try to be a little more laid back. I think the reaction to these incidents (such as Zingo's comment) is more problematic than the comments themselves. If we make a big deal and start a new thread for every slightly negative / somewhat sarcastic comment, then, yes, we the forum will be a crappier place. I believe they call that a self-fulfilling professy, but what do I know; I'm just here to sell things.

One more question and then I'll stop for a bit 'cause I KNOW I'm pissing someone somewhere off by now.

Since when did you become the forum spokesman ViperZ?

Some advice. Ditch the crusade. You seem to be a decent dude with a bit to offer here. I'm not saying to fall in line or anything, I'm saying that if you keep up this crusade, you're gonna be a thorn in the side of the forum and be shoved out of the social circle here. We take care of our own here in many ways, alot of those ways you don't even get to see on the forum. Sometimes the stronger personalities come out to put a stop to what can be perceived (and in my experience usually is) someone new trying to take advantage of the hospitality that people are usually offered here. Without those stronger personalities that lack the fear to open their mouths and tell it like it is or how they see it, the less strong personalities might never say a word and allow the atrocity of an outsider to take advantage of and swindle another member.

And believe me, this is coming from someone who has not necessarily been the most pleasant person to deal with and I've been told I'm not one of those forum members that people really want to square off with. My experience is hard earned and I'm trying to help you out here and give you a different point of view.

Ever since the TBT went away........
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Those of you who make threads like this and pretend there is some mysterious mob here are delusional. No offense, but it's true. Are there cases where people are treated unfairly or get misunderstood? Yes, a good way to get over that would be to grow a thicker skin and let more roll off your shoulders.

We all were new to the board at one point or another, and becoming a part of any group of people is a matter of approach.

If you come to any forum with an attitude or to be a smartass, it's probably not going to work out well for you. People who have been here awhile know eachother. They don't know you...act accordingly.

Its just the same people all the time...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You all suck!!!!!

Just Kidding :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

What's the number for 911? I need to call the waaaaaambulance. Come on viper you can do better than that What about the new members that are welcomed here? Who receive time, and attention from the "old members", and new? Polkies that go out of their way to help new local Polkies?

Give it a break. Your panties are way too tight
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information