Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default A few questions about the SR6500s and SR104s

    First of all, where can I hear them?! I'm in the San Jose, CA area, anyone from around there? Hell, I'm willing to travel up to half an hour away to a shop just to hear them. Would be nice if I could hear other, comparable subs too, i.e. Alpine Type-X's, JL W6, etc.

    I'm a newbie installer at Circuit City (I know, I know, flame away!) and I haven't had the chance to hear any Polk subs at all. Kicker and Sony (unfortunately) subs are very popular at our store. I've installed two different Kicker L5 enclosures already and they sound pretty good and definitely are good in terms of SPL, but I haven't had much to compare with.

    The sealed enclosure I'm looking at has .7 cubic feet (not including driver) of airspace for them, anyone use a sealed enclosure with the same airspace like that before? I don't want it to be too boomy, and my trunk is really small as its going in a Camaro.

    Also, where can I hear SR6500s? I wanna know if I actually like them before I buy them.

    Can anyone help? Thanks!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    somewhere in Canada
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Go To Costco View Post
    First of all, where can I hear them?! I'm in the San Jose, CA area, anyone from around there? Hell, I'm willing to travel up to half an hour away to a shop just to hear them. Would be nice if I could hear other, comparable subs too, i.e. Alpine Type-X's, JL W6, etc.

    I'm a newbie installer at Circuit City (I know, I know, flame away!) and I haven't had the chance to hear any Polk subs at all. Kicker and Sony (unfortunately) subs are very popular at our store. I've installed two different Kicker L5 enclosures already and they sound pretty good and definitely are good in terms of SPL, but I haven't had much to compare with.

    The sealed enclosure I'm looking at has .7 cubic feet (not including driver) of airspace for them, anyone use a sealed enclosure with the same airspace like that before? I don't want it to be too boomy, and my trunk is really small as its going in a Camaro.

    Also, where can I hear SR6500s? I wanna know if I actually like them before I buy them.

    Can anyone help? Thanks!
    You've already tried this : http://www.polkaudio.com/dealerlocator/find.php ?

    If you have a "Tweeter" store locally, might be worth a shot...otherwise you'll have to pull up a local store through the dealer locator.

    As for the JL W6v2 vs. the Polk SR subwoofers, I have both...compareable performance and sound quality- the Polk gets a little louder off the same amount of power and has more "presence" IMO. I've mothballed the W6v2 to save as a spare and am using the SR. The .7 cubic feet won't be enough to do any of those subs justice- they'll work but will sound "boomy" with some peaks in frequency response up high, poor low-end extension. If you're stuck with the .7 cube volume limitation, look at an Image Dynamics IDQv2 or v3 instead.
    -------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    they don't have them at costco?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    somewhere in Canada
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    they don't have them at costco?
    I wish they did...
    -------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156

    Default

    the sr6500s are very smooth but not very loud. they are SQ speakers. good off axis response and very very small magnet.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    somewhere in Canada
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    the sr6500s are very smooth but not very loud. they are SQ speakers. good off axis response and very very small magnet.
    I have the SR5250s and agree with most of that comment except the "loud" portion- I'm feeding mine 84 watts RMS each, and they go louder than I can stand (without any signs of distortion or protest) inside the vehicle- over 100 decibels from the front stage alone, which is deafness territory...maybe they're loud enough for me because I'm an old guy .

    They go more than loud enough to impress people inside your vehicle. If the goal is impressing people outside as you drive by, then there are other choices you should be looking at instead of Polk SRs ;). If you can't get them to play loud enough without distorting, then you should probably be revisiting your crossover and gain settings, and maybe think about improving the baffle they're mounted to with some deadening type products- seal up the inner door (if that's where you have them installed) for a better simulation of an "enclosure" in the vehicle.
    -------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    thanks a lot guys! Shame they don't have them at Costco but I get a pretty good discount, which is why I was looking mainly at Polk equipment.

    And Greg I think you've convinced me to get the IDQ V3s. They're exactly what I'm looking for, due to my goal of having a stealth setup, I'll be limited on enclosure airspace. The IDQs look perfect on paper and from what people say, great SQ and great SPL for the price and still sound great in a small enclosure! I already found a dealer for them, I'll be looking at both the IDQs and SRs.

    I'll probably stick around and learn more... once again thanks!

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (17)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Go To Costco View Post
    Shame they don't have them at Costco but I get a pretty good discount,
    How do you get a Discount?

    Do you mean by just being a regular member?

    Or do you get a discount beyond that?

    My Friend has worked for Costco for over 15 years, when it was called just Price Club and he doesn't get any discounts.

    Las
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!


    My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/


    It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

    Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

    Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    7,128

    Default

    I think he means he gets a discount on polks.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    How do you get a Discount?

    Do you mean by just being a regular member?

    Or do you get a discount beyond that?

    My Friend has worked for Costco for over 15 years, when it was called just Price Club and he doesn't get any discounts.

    Las
    work for circuit city, and you'll see, polk gives us the discount not circuit. I am thinking about getting another pair of sr6500's for the rear :) I followed people's advice of not putting anything in the back, it sounds hollow :( my car isn't even that big about the size of a honda accord.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. amp for sr6500s
    By audiofiend in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 03:50 AM
  2. Amp Questions
    By DTBalla07 in forum Car Subwoofer Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 10:04 PM
  3. Any Polk installers done sr6500s in 97-01 Cherokee?
    By Greg Peters in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 03:33 AM
  4. Thoughts on tweeter placement? (sr6500s)
    By Greg Peters in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
  5. a few questions
    By mccarts747 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts