Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Multi Room LSi setup question

I own a pair of LSi9's, and I'm powering them with an Emotiva XPA-5. I want another pair of LSi9's for the adjacent room. I will usually be toggling between the two rooms, so I don't think more amplification is necessary. I'm wondering what type of processor/receiver I'm going to need. Should I just buy to separate processors, then hook up both sets of pre-outs to the amp? Or is there a quality single unit I could buy that would take car of this? Any suggestions? Also, because we leave the sliding door between the two rooms open, I'm hoping I can get away with using the same sub for both rooms.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Looking at the Emotiva MMC-1, it has stereo and Zone 2 pre-outs, so I assume other pre/pro's do as well. Just put a couple of XPA-5 channels on each and you should be fine.
    Contact them with any questions.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

You definitely don't need more than one processor for this. Just make sure the receiver or pre you are planning on using has a second zone. I use my Marantz for exactly this. I have a 5.1 channel in my movie room, and it also controls 4 speakers and a TV in the adjacent game room (although I do have separate amplification).

It will be a bit trickier sharing the same sub unless you are driving both zones at the same time (which is what I often do). When I drive the game room, I just do it without a sub.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the MMC-1 or something similar will work fine. I was a bit confused because I own a Marantz SR5002, and it has "multi-room" capabilities, but it only has one set of preouts, so unless I wanted to drive one set of speakers straight from the receiver, I couldn't figure out how to get it done. Hockeyboy, does your Marantz have zone 2 pre-outs?

My SR8001 only has a single set of pre-outs like the SR5002. I use two of the pre-outs to connect to a separate Sunfire 5200 in the game room, with the other 6 pre-outs being used in my theater. The game room gets a signal for front and back with a volume control in the wall for each pair. Each speaker get their own channel on the 5200 for power but share a signal with their neighboring speaker from the Marantz in zone 2. I mapped it out and my installer actually did the connections.

That's interesting. I can't really visualize how you could send a signal to four speakers using only two pre-outs. Wouldn't the sound be only one sided?... as in zone 2 has two left front speakers and two left rear speakers? Maybe I'm just confused; I'm new to this stuff.

Default 2 Sets

What they're talking about is two sets of pre-outs. One set for one zone and another set for another zone.

Chris

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
    Looking at the Emotiva MMC-1, it has stereo and Zone 2 pre-outs, so I assume other pre/pro's do as well. Just put a couple of XPA-5 channels on each and you should be fine.
    Contact them with any questions.
    I use the MMC-1 For that very purpose.It works great.
    "I'm a cold hearted prick at times and live in my own little world too much"....HB27

Thread Information