Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Thread: 7B ST Bryston

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default 7B ST Bryston

A pair of Mono Blocks 7B ST bryston...

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14973&item=1949450960[/url]

No affiliation, These amp will drive any speakers with
    excellent quality;)

Har

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Drool..............I want, but short on coin right now. :(
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Default Drool..

I had closely get one...but, also short on coin...

:mad:

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default More Watts Means More What?

If I buy these 500 watt per channel Brystons to drive my SDA 1.2TL's (after connecting the grounds of both monoblocks together, of course), what improvements, if any, should I expect compared to my 300 watt per channel Adcom GFA-5802?
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

raife,

Maybe this will help.

Oh ya......7B-ST Monoblock
    The 7B ST power amplifier is of the bi-monaural construction. It means that everything, which handles the analog signal, is totally separate for each channel (two power transformers, two rectifiers, independent capacitors). Why is everything doubled in the monaural amplifier? I will explain later.
    If the amplifier does not have separate power transformers, it is not dual-mono, as is often quoted i.e. on Sony or as my colleague Kraut wrote in the Accuphase P450 review. Bi-monaural is not also the amplifier with the separate secondary windings on the power transformer.

It is important to emphasize the advantages of the hi-monaural construction. When the audio signal is reproduced, the power output modulates the DC voltage of the power supply. If the power supply is common for both channels, this modulation is transferred to the other channel and vice versa. The result is higher cross-talk and subsequent deterioration of the localization of the sound images. A bit better solution is the aforementioned use of separate transformer windings for each channel. You can easily recognize this type of amplifier by two pairs of capacitors and two rectifiers in the power supply. If the amplifier has only two power supply capacitors, you cannot speak about bi-monaural construction at all (P-450).
    Bryston 7B-ST is a monaural amplifier, which enables two modes of usage. The first one is described by the manufacturer as Serial, which is only a different description of the usual bridged configuration. In this mode, the two amplifier sections are driven by the signal in opposite phase and the load (speaker) is connected between them. The second mode, Parallel, enables the paralleling of both modules for much higher current delivery. It means that the amplifier will be able to work into substantially lower load impedance.
    7B-ST is basically the modification of the already tested 4B-ST. The major difference is, that it is permanently connected for mono operation (serial or parallel, see above). The second pair of input terminals on the back is therefore missing. The input is switchable for non-symmetrical (gold plated RCA) or symmetrical (XLR/Jack - Neutrik) connection. The outputs are five way binding posts with gold plated contacts. Between them is the isolation ridge which prevents the short-circuit by bare wire. Nice touch. The power cord is three-prong, the component therefore works in Safety Class I. But, it is possible to disconnect the working ground of the amplifier from the chassis using the switch on the back. The ground is not disconnected completely, but through the 10 Ohm resistor, which is sufficient for the elimination of ground loops possible when connected to other equipment working in the Class I. Using the usual "cheater" plug is much more dangerous.
    The amplifier modules, placed vertically on their heat-sinks, are connected to the power supply via heavy-duty PCB connectors. The power transistors are handmatched, each driver - output pair is handled as a composite output element in the "Quad-complementary" configuration.
    Worth to mention is the clipping indicator on the front panel. The green LED, which indicates the power-on and normal operation, turns orange when approaching clipping and to red from 1 dB in clipping and up. The indication is very fast and accurate over the whole audio band. I would like to mention, too, that the entire amplifier is hand-soldered, which is at the price and "Made in Canada" quite unusual.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Clarification

Thanks F1nut,

Perhaps my inquiry might have better been stated: What improvements in [b]sound quality[/b] should I expect.

The stuff about lower crosstalk due to dual mono configuration makes sense.

Actually, what I am curious about is will I will get a substantially greater sense of greater "realism" when listening to well-recorded sources through the Bryston?
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

I can't answer the sound quality question as I've not listened to the Adcom. I can say this much, the Byston is a Class A amp and is highly rated, maybe a step below a Krell. With a Class A amp one would expect the "realism" to be there. I would say it's a neutral amp with slam and I thought they sounded awesome.

If you buy them and don't like'em, maybe I'll have enough coin by then.

I forgot to mention they come with a 20 year warranty!
    Last edited by F1nut; 01-09-2003 at 04:04 AM.

Default New...7B SST @600watts 8 ohms

Heres a link for direct Canadian dealer of Bryston products,
    keep in mind that exchange rates for $1.00 U.S. to Canadian is
    $1.60

[url]http://www.canadiansound.com/GdPgs/MainGD.html[/url]

I don't really know if they will accept items ship to the U.S.

Thread Information