Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Pioneer DV-48AV vs Oppo 980 vs Marantz DV6600

I am about to buy one of these 3 universal players. Which one of the 3 would be my best overall quality/value? Thanks

Pioneer link: $100
    http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ioneer-dv-48av

Marantz link: $180
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...D-DVD-A/1.html

Oppo link: $170
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp
    TV: LG 55LW5600
    Pre: Marantz SR6001
    Front Amp: Parasound HCA-1000A
    Center Amp: Marantz MA500
    Mains: Polk LSi9
    Center: Polk LSiC
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-2
    Games: Xbox360 and PS3

Member Sales Rating: (43)

#2 for sure. Incredible dynamic range if music is what you are hunting for. Please in the future don't post deals like that I need food more than gear!
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (31)

If you're willing to buy used, you can find a Marantz DV7600 for just a little bit more.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

hahaha, I planned on the Marantz as well. Should be a good match with my receiver as well.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Of the three you listed, the Pioneer and Oppo are almost identical. The Marantz is really just a re-badged Phillips.

It would also depend on how you will be conecting them. If you plan on connecting with HDMI, the Pioneer and Oppo will both output DSD over HDMI for SACD's, the Marantz will not output SACD over HDMI at all. Tha Marantz will not scale to 1080p with DVD's either.

I tried several universal players this year, the Oppo 983, Yamaha DVD-S1700, Marantz 6001, and the Pio DV-48AV. The Pioneer conected with HDMI has the best sound of the ones I tried. It is also the only player that did not have issues with DVD-+R's, if that matters to you. It plays anything. It's the only player I kept.

If an SACD is what you are looking for I would recommend using the analog outs, and not the HDMI. This is what I based my decision on. What are your intentions for the player?
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    If an SACD is what you are looking for I would recommend using the analog outs, and not the HDMI. This is what I based my decision on. What are your intentions for the player?
    Ben
    Plus the fact his pre/pro doesn't accept SACD(DSD) via HDMI.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    You are good Face. Real good:D
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

Yes it does. It HDMI 1.2 which will decode DSD over HDMI.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2080.asp

Check the specifications page.

You are good Face. Real good:D
    Ben

How do you figure?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    How do you figure?
    My bad he is no good Your are the great one with ear drums of stone! Master of numbers, and specs
    Even if it does decode SACD I still prefer to use analogs with a good source.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

My bad he is no good Your are the great one with ear drums of stone! Master of numbers, and specs
    Even if it does decode SACD I still prefer to use analogs with a good source.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Why the insulting tone? There is no point giving the OP recommendations based purely on brand name alone, with incorrect information.

Tell me Ben, how many players have you heard outputting pure DSD over HDMI? Which players were they? The DAC's in that Marantz unit are very good, and should do a better job than the analog section of the cheap players listed.

I based it on the output specs of the Marantz;) Not just being a fan boy. If the OP wants to use it with another setup he has the option without sacrificing SQ. The Oppo's are way over rated when it comes to their SQ.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

I based it on the output specs of the Marantz;) Not just being a fan boy. If the OP wants to use it with another setup he has the option without sacrificing SQ. The Oppo's are way over rated when it comes to their SQ.
    Thanks
    Ben
    So apparently you are the master of specs. I never even looked at the specs, I based my opinion on what I have actually heard. And I didn't recommend the Oppo, I had a better model, and sent it back.

You didn't answer the question though. How many players have you heard outputting pure DSD over HDMI. And which players were they?

Well, it appears William was right for once.

Now onto this:
    So apparently you are the master of specs. I never even looked at the specs, I based my opinion on what I have actually heard.
    Who are you kidding? Mr. "if it can't be measured, then there is no difference".
    It's true because you said it again? It's not you know, measuring equipment is far more sensitive than the human ear. For instance you can measure differences between all cables with measuring equipment. Differences in inductance, capacitance, resistance, etc. You can tell them apart every time. Yet ask someone to tell them apart with their ears, and they fail miserably, every time.

Well, it appears William was right for once.

Now onto this:

Who are you kidding? Mr. "if it can't be measured, then there is no difference".
    Face, you are just an ass. Please point out where I have ever said that if it can't be measured, it can't be heard. Everything can be measured, even differences between cables. Whether the differences can be heard is a different matter entirely.

Face, you are just an ass. Please point out where I have ever said that if it can't be measured, it can't be heard. Everything can be measured, even differences between cables. Whether the differences can be heard is a different matter entirely.
    Thanks for the laugh sweet William. I have never been impressed with any of the lower priced Pioneer equipment nor the over rated Oppo's analog section. While I do think that you are a highly intelligent person, and very knowledgeable about electronics its your hearing that tends to make your audio statements hold as much water as a sieve. I know if I ever wanted to know what could do what you are one of the people to ask here, but when it comes to SQ I'll pass.
    Thanks again
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

Thanks for the laugh sweet William. I have never been impressed with any of the lower priced Pioneer equipment nor the over rated Oppo's analog section. While I do think that you are a highly intelligent person, and very knowledgeable about electronics its your hearing that tends to make your audio statements hold as much water as a sieve. I know if I ever wanted to know what could do what you are one of the people to ask here, but when it comes to SQ I'll pass.
    Thanks again
    Ben
    What do you possibly know about my hearing? Not hearing imaginary differences does not mean one has bad hearing.

Since you seem so sure of your opinion, why do you keep avoiding the question? How many players have you heard outputting pure DSD over HDMI? And which players were they?

Why not just admit that you have no experience in this area?

whoa, I missed a lot here!

To answer everyones question, I will be using Analog for my SACD. The player is 60% movies and 40% music.

What do you possibly know about my hearing? Not hearing imaginary differences does not mean one has bad hearing.

Since you seem so sure of your opinion, why do you keep avoiding the question? How many players have you heard outputting pure DSD over HDMI? And which players were they?

Why not just admit that you have no experience in this area?
    None! I use analog Jackass for reasons stated above. Did I ever state that I use DSD over HDMI I also like how you can tell what other people can hear or not, and argue with them about it I also like how newbies come along argue side by side with you, and eventually open their minds enough to try half way decent cable just to find out that they do actually hear a difference:) You may not be able to hear a difference:( Others can.
    Sorry sweet William
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

None! I use analog Jackass for reasons stated above. Did I ever state that I use DSD over HDMI
    No, you stated you preferred analog over HDMI, and now we find you have never even heard DSD over HDMI. Glad you base your opinion on something.

It's fuuny how the one guy who actually has experience with some of these players, gives his opinion, and then gets insulted by those who have never even heard them. No wonder this forum is such a ghost town lately. Keep up the good work.

Nice tags;) Did somebody piss in your Cheerios? Bill what my preference is when it comes to an SACD player is one that is capable to use its own analog outs as stated above. You can bend that any way you want to.
    Have a nice day:) I know I am:)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Shicks18 View Post
    I am about to buy one of these 3 universal players. Which one of the 3 would be my best overall quality/value? Thanks

Pioneer link: $100
    http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ioneer-dv-48av

Marantz link: $180
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...D-DVD-A/1.html

Oppo link: $170
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp
    I perfer the Pioneer Elite due to the fact they have long durability and thats a solid deal for a very nice player. It can do everything you need or want out of a DVD player. It also will make a very nice cd transport or cd player. I really like Elite products.

The Marantz is also nice if it's what you want. I don't know to much about Oppo other then I have seen a few in action and I didn't care for the video performance. I thought it looked like a Older Panasonic quality video. Pioneer and Marantz both have a sharper picture.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

If you don't know the difference between a first growth Bordeaux and plonk, you may as well get all your wine out of a box. :D

Hey face I wonder if it is your big "ass" ears that allow you to hear a difference with better cables:p:D
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Shicks18 View Post
    whoa, I missed a lot here!

To answer everyones question, I will be using Analog for my SACD. The player is 60% movies and 40% music.
    Go with the Marantz then. If you can get a 7001 I like that one better personally.

You're getting opinions all over the place on this one. :)

I have an Oppo 980H and I really like it. It sounds great and looks great. Someone here said they didn't like the Oppo sound. Not sure why, but all of these opinions are subjective for sure. Nonetheless, here are a couple of reasons why I recommend the Oppo.

I am running it through a Yamaha RX-V863, which has a "Pure Direct Mode" that bypasses all of its processing, so you get the pure feed from the player, other than the Yamaha amp of course. I go back and forth between the Pure Direct and using the Yamama's processing. I believe Yamaha to have good quality electronics. The sound of SACDs are better in Pure Direct Mode, meaning the Oppo has better sound processing than the Yamaha. (Before I had the Oppo, I had a Denon DVD-1920, (which got fried in an electrical storm a couple of months ago). The Oppo sounds and plays video at least as good if not better than the Denon. Obvoiusly I did not have a chance to compare them side by side, but it is my honest impression.)

In addition, I did a lot of research on the Oppo before I bought it. Among many positive comments in various forums and other sources, I came across this one: http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_Player_Mods.html

The truth is, all of the players you're considering are good and there is probably very little difference between them. I am attempting to give you some empirical evidence that supports an Oppo decision. I'm happy with it.

Regards.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Curious how these would measure up to the somewhat pricier:
    HK DVD-48:
    http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...D%2048&sType=C

In addition, I did a lot of research on the Oppo before I bought it. Among many positive comments in various forums and other sources, I came across this one: http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_Player_Mods.html
    So you recommend it because with $350 to $1225 worth of mods, it is a great player? Can't imagine why anyone with as $170 player ($105 on Woot a couple weeks ago) would spend that much in mods, especially considering the build quality of the player itself.

Quote Originally Posted by xandra View Post
    Curious how these would measure up to the somewhat pricier:
    HK DVD-48:
    http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...D%2048&sType=C

I have the DVD-22. It sucks. I keep it in my exercise room. It has been repaired twice, and takes forever to load. I have owned several HK products and always ended up disappointed.

Thread Information