Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    35

    Default Monster Cables for Speakers and AMP

    I'm paying 3x premium over the other brands for Monster cables for all my audio accessories. Is it really worth? Do they really make the sound better? I got a monster 4 Channel Audio Interconnect that claims to have -60DB. What the h@ll that means vs the one with -50db? is this some sort of marketing marvel?

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    I'd search around these forums for opinions on Monster Cable.

    General consensus is that it's overpriced, mediocre cable made by a company that nobody likes because they're sue-happy.

    Personally, i like Audioquest.

    And Ben6720 or whatever exactly his numbers are sells cables that he makes that everyone seems to like. I"ll be trying them in the fairly near future myself.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I'm paying 3x premium over the other brands for Monster cables for all my audio accessories. Is it really worth? Do they really make the sound better? I got a monster 4 Channel Audio Interconnect that claims to have -60DB. What the h@ll that means vs the one with -50db? is this some sort of marketing marvel?
    There is no audible difference between cables. And if there actually were a cable that had its own "sound", you wouldnt want it. A cable has only 2 jobs. 1) transmit the source signal as transparently as possible and 2) reject as much noise as possible. Forget the "smoother highs" or "tighter midbass" and definitely dismiss the claims of "broader soundstage"! Those are characteristics of speakers, not cables.

    You want a well made cable so that it will withstand the elements, have a good solid connection and will reject noise and pretty much all the entry level offerings from quality brands will do this. You do want to stay away from shielded RCA's tho as the shielding tends to actually act like an antenna and can induce noise into the signal that otherwise wouldnt be there.

    Ignore the marketing hype and general BS and spend your money on what really matters - getting the best speakers you can afford and powerful enough amps to power them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    7,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    There is no audible difference between cables. And if there actually were a cable that had its own "sound", you wouldnt want it. A cable has only 2 jobs. 1) transmit the source signal as transparently as possible and 2) reject as much noise as possible. Forget the "smoother highs" or "tighter midbass" and definitely dismiss the claims of "broader soundstage"! Those are characteristics of speakers, not cables.

    You want a well made cable so that it will withstand the elements, have a good solid connection and will reject noise and pretty much all the entry level offerings from quality brands will do this. You do want to stay away from shielded RCA's tho as the shielding tends to actually act like an antenna and can induce noise into the signal that otherwise wouldnt be there.

    Ignore the marketing hype and general BS and spend your money on what really matters - getting the best speakers you can afford and powerful enough amps to power them.
    You better hope no people from the HA side read that!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (43)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    You better hope no people from the HA side read that!
    -Cody
    I saw that:p You car audio guys are deaf anyways:p:D
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    i saw that:p you car audio guys are deaf anyways:p:d
    ben
    what?! Speak up, will ya?!
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    7,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    I saw that:p You car audio guys are deaf anyways:p:D
    Ben
    I wonder if 4kw has anything to do with it?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (43)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,931

    Default

    I certainly expected that both of you would have slammed me for my HA setup.
    Later guys.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Nah, but Ill slam ya for living in Georgia.

    Get outta here ya backwards hillbilly!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

    polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Monster Cables Vs....
    By lanion in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
  2. Any different between 2 types of Monster cables?
    By marks in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
  3. My First Items Came in - Monster Cables
    By eloplayspolo in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
  4. Various Monster Cables for Sale
    By dpowell in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
  5. Monster THX cables
    By acdds in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts