Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13

    Default ebay warranty new in box polk speakers

    what can i do to get a warranty for a pair of polk speakers new in box, do i ask the seller for the original receipt he used to purchase the speakers so he can transfer it to me. i really dont think its fair that someone decides to buy your product BRAND NEW factory sealed and not get a warranty, If i had receipt of the original purchase from the authorized dealer would that be sufficient enough to warrant a polk warranty?

    say like i bought a couple of your speakers and decided to upgrade and give the speakers to a friend with proof of original purchase receipt from frys or something, wouldnt he be qualified for a warranty?

    Thanks..

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire9800 View Post
    say like i bought a couple of your speakers and decided to upgrade and give the speakers to a friend with proof of original purchase
    As long as you give it to a friend, it's OK. The warranty won't transfer to someone you don't know.

    You just want to make sure that when your friend sends something in under warranty, that he includes proof that he is a friend of yours. Pictures of the two of you together or letters you have sent to each other usually will suffice. However, in this day and age, I've heard that Polk will accept e-mails in place of letters.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sooner Country
    Posts
    3,810

    Default

    No disrepect Sponger, but here is the word right from Polk. I think the 2nd paragraph says it all and mentions nothing about friends (emails or pics). It is afterall a business transaction, not your local friends and family flea market.

    Warranty Information

    Polk Audio home loudspeakers have a 5-year parts and labor warranty. The amplifiers used in our "powered speakers" and "powered subwoofers" have a 3-year warranty. All outdoor speakers, such as Atrium Series, have a 2-year warranty. Signature Series (SR), MM (Mobile Monitor) Series speakers and db Series mobile speakers have a limited 1-year warranty. Polk/MOMO Series mobile speakers are warranted for 3 years; Polk/MOMO and PA Series mobile amplifiers are warranted for 1 year. The XRt12 Reference XM Tuner, SR-H1000 Sirius Tuner, I-Sonic Entertainment System, I-Sonic Entertainment System 2, SurroundBar 360 DVD Home Theater and miDock products have a limited 1-year warranty.

    To ensure a valid warranty, Polk products must be purchased at an Authorized Polk Audio Dealer. If you're not sure a dealer is "authorized," call Polk Audio at 1-800-377-7655 and ask us. eBay (except for the Polk Direct Store) is not an authorized dealer! The warranty is not transferable, that means it applies only to the original purchaser. If you purchase your speakers from a private individual, that product is considered "used" and has NO factory warranty, no matter what the seller implies.

    The warranty is VOID if the serial number of the speaker has been removed or defaced. These warranty terms apply only to products purchased in Canada, the United States of America, its possessions, and US and NATO armed forces exchanges and audio clubs. The Warranty terms and conditions applicable to Products purchased in other countries are available from the Polk Audio Authorized Distributor in such countries.

    For the precise and legal terms of the warranty on a given product, refer to the owner's manual. An Acrobat Reader file of the owner's manual can be found on each product's web page. If you have any questions about your warranty coverage, or you think you need service, call Polk Customer Service at 1-800-377-7655. We're here to help you get the most from your new audio equipment

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    I've never heard of a company that says "send us a picture of you and your friend" and then we'll honor a non-transferrable warranty...........

    I'm not saying that Polk doesn't go above and beyond when it comes to warranting their products for their customers, but I wouldn't just *expect* that you're entitled to something if you (or your friend) are not the original purchaser.

    As for your 'not fair' comment......are you serious? If you, for example, bought the product from a non-authorized seller for 1/2 the cost that they should have been selling for, why would you expect there to be a warranty from the manufacturer? There are legal issues at play when companies create their warranties......it's not like they just threw together some wording and stamped it on a box and that was that. Ultimately, a company doesn't HAVE to warrant anything......the fact that you expect them to honor the warranty when it clearly states non-transferrable says something about you, does it not?

    In case you have any doubt as to what specifically does and does not qualify for a warranty, HERE you go.......
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13

    Default

    well im desperate, i found a good deal, i have no idea how this guy is offering this deal for such a good price, but he has sold many polk products for very cheap new in box

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Unless it's Polk Direct on eBay, you do not have a warranty.....that's the price you pay for a great deal.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    As long as you give it to a friend, it's OK. The warranty won't transfer to someone you don't know.

    You just want to make sure that when your friend sends something in under warranty, that he includes proof that he is a friend of yours. Pictures of the two of you together or letters you have sent to each other usually will suffice. However, in this day and age, I've heard that Polk will accept e-mails in place of letters.
    I assume this response was serious, but I find it quite funny. :D
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    No disrepect Sponger, but here is the word right from Polk. I think the 2nd paragraph says it all and mentions nothing about friends (emails or pics). It is afterall a business transaction, not your local friends and family flea market.

    Warranty Information

    Polk Audio home loudspeakers have a 5-year parts and labor warranty. The amplifiers used in our "powered speakers" and "powered subwoofers" have a 3-year warranty. All outdoor speakers, such as Atrium Series, have a 2-year warranty. Signature Series (SR), MM (Mobile Monitor) Series speakers and db Series mobile speakers have a limited 1-year warranty. Polk/MOMO Series mobile speakers are warranted for 3 years; Polk/MOMO and PA Series mobile amplifiers are warranted for 1 year. The XRt12 Reference XM Tuner, SR-H1000 Sirius Tuner, I-Sonic Entertainment System, I-Sonic Entertainment System 2, SurroundBar 360 DVD Home Theater and miDock products have a limited 1-year warranty.

    To ensure a valid warranty, Polk products must be purchased at an Authorized Polk Audio Dealer. If you're not sure a dealer is "authorized," call Polk Audio at 1-800-377-7655 and ask us. eBay (except for the Polk Direct Store) is not an authorized dealer! The warranty is not transferable, that means it applies only to the original purchaser. If you purchase your speakers from a private individual, that product is considered "used" and has NO factory warranty, no matter what the seller implies.

    The warranty is VOID if the serial number of the speaker has been removed or defaced. These warranty terms apply only to products purchased in Canada, the United States of America, its possessions, and US and NATO armed forces exchanges and audio clubs. The Warranty terms and conditions applicable to Products purchased in other countries are available from the Polk Audio Authorized Distributor in such countries.

    For the precise and legal terms of the warranty on a given product, refer to the owner's manual. An Acrobat Reader file of the owner's manual can be found on each product's web page. If you have any questions about your warranty coverage, or you think you need service, call Polk Customer Service at 1-800-377-7655. We're here to help you get the most from your new audio equipment

    Never seen a warranty slip in "NATO" before. Eastern Bloc countries are authorized to transfer their speakers, and their respective warranties, to anyone they deem is a "friend". That would NOT include the country Georgia.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Yes, I was only being facetious. Sorry if I misled anyone. The original poster's "not fair" comment brought out the devious side of me for a moment.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13

    Default

    if i wanted to open up my own ebay store is there anyway i can buy from polkaudio wholesale price and resell without being an authorized dealer.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    what a bizarre circle this thread has become.......

    good luck.
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    If you buy a pair from somebody on ebay or even a friend and they provide you with the original purchase reciept (showing purchase from a valid authorized reseller), and the product hasn't yet been registered with Polk, how is anybody to prove who the original purchaser is? They can't, thus in my view Polk will honor the warranty.

    Unless of course, the authorized reseller has to report the sale and and serial numbers to Polk. But what if they were bought with cash and the buyer refused to provide any contact info?? Of course this brings up another important question, what if they were purchased as a gift?

    Eitherway, if the seller is a friend and is willing to, if you ever had a problem with the product, they could bring it in for warranty service on your behalf, thus getting warranty service by the original purchaser.

    I can understand trying to prevent the gray market, but I really don't like warranty restrictions like this-regardless if they are not required. Warranties are simply standard and instill consumer confidence-take the warranty away and so will the confidence go away (how many companies offer product with no warranty and are still in business?).

    When HP, Dell and Sony (and I'm sure many more) started cutting costs by severely limiting thier warranty periods to 90 days-especially with higher priced products, I lost my confidense and will not purchase thier product anymore.

    Companies that offer warranties that are freely transferrable; especially in the audio world, where buying used it the 'norm'; is IMHO the way to go. Doesn't matter whether the transferable warranty is lifetime, 5 years or 1 year-transferrable. I think the warranty should still be from the original purchaser's date of purchase, and maybe a paper trail shoudl be provided, but still transferrable. Many hard drive manufacturers don't even ask for proof of purchase-they will honor a warranty simply based on the date of manufacture-I like that-extreme confidence.
    ____________________
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Good thing about buying from a friend is if something goes wrong you can have him deal with Polk for the warranty.

  14. #14
    Polk Customer Service
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Polk Audio HQ
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire9800 View Post
    if i wanted to open up my own ebay store is there anyway i can buy from polkaudio wholesale price and resell without being an authorized dealer.
    Not legally.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Oh God where is that Keiko guy at? We went to battle last week over a similar type of question. I'm sure he whould tell most of that you are clueless. He sales polks or whatever online. I wonder what his warranty is?

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=72102&page=2
    Retired Onkyo 520 (returned broken HK 247)
    Now a Pioneer 1018
    CSi3
    2- RTI10's
    2- R50's
    2- Fxi3's
    Onkyo 250W Sub
    Polk psw-10

    "Inch by inch lifes a cinch, yard by yard life is hard"

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kchill View Post
    Oh God where is that Keiko guy at? We went to battle last week over a similar type of question. I'm sure he whould tell most of that you are clueless. He sales polks or whatever online. I wonder what his warranty is?

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=72102&page=2
    I don't see your battle in the thread you linked to, at least not related to warranties on Polk speakers.
    To clarify, in case you misiunderstood Mr. Wong's response. He responded that it would be illegal to "buy from polkaudio wholesale price and resell without being an authorized dealer", not that it would be illegal to resell Polk Speakers.

    I'd think it was a stretch to associate Keiko's comments to this thread's questions, unless you in fact thought it was illegal to resell polk products at all, and were somehow trying to get Keiko in trouble?

    I must say that your post sounds just a tad bit like flame baiting. Perhaps that was not you're intention, but that is how I percieved your post. But if I percieved correctly, then you really should take your 'battle' offline and have dealt with through the appropriate channels (direct PMs and via the forum moderators). Again, I could be wrong.

    :)
    ____________________
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    259

    Default

    If he chimed in it would be interesting what he would tell folks about warranties. I had said to him if the product the guy was selling if one was worried should be fixed before he sales them. He then said its not polks position to fix speakers before someone sells them.

    I would bet many would say that if you bought them from a friend that the warranty should be void because they are used and sold by a third party.

    I tend to go on your side Mr. Madden. In such a case just have the friend get them fixed.

    But when people buy NIB speakers like they guy asked why is there no warranty no matter if not from an authorized dealer.Polk puts serials on them and should know that they made them. Heck ship them back in the original box.

    Some folks would say hey your wrong for this view but i'm more of a pro consumer.

    And your not wrong, I just like to bring different thought. But still I would like to see what is his thoughts on this.
    Retired Onkyo 520 (returned broken HK 247)
    Now a Pioneer 1018
    CSi3
    2- RTI10's
    2- R50's
    2- Fxi3's
    Onkyo 250W Sub
    Polk psw-10

    "Inch by inch lifes a cinch, yard by yard life is hard"

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kchill View Post
    ...
    But when people buy NIB speakers like they guy asked why is there no warranty no matter if not from an authorized dealer.Polk puts serials on them and should know that they made them. Heck ship them back in the original box.

    Some folks would say hey your wrong for this view but i'm more of a pro consumer.
    ...
    AS I mentioned, IMHO, any manufacturer should honor warranties regardless of who the original purchaser is, at a minimum from the date of manufacture (as in several Hard Drive manufacturers will do even without a reciept or any other form of POP). Now this is not a very good choice since some audio equipment can have a very long useable life and can also sit in a warehouse for longer than the warranty period from the date of manufacture.

    Even better IMHO, the warranty period should start from the first recorded sale from an authorized reseller (just like the auto manufacturers do. Resales should have some kind of proof of original purchase, or perhaps some kind of clearing house to verify.
    Anybody that has gray market product will just have to eat it.
    ____________________
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    Warranty periods DO start when you buy them (even with speakers)........that's the whole purpose of having a receipt. Unless I'm missing something, this is standard practice for just about everything out there.

    What do you think the cost of the speaker covers exactly...........just parts? Built into these prices is warranty, customer service, warehousing, manufacturing, etc.. If you find some gray market reseller, more often than not they will tell you that the warranty is not through Polk, but instead through the reseller themselves. Try dealing with them when you have a blown tweeter on a RTi12 and they tell you to ship the speaker back to them before they'll do anything for you.

    Service comes with a cost.........and you get what you pay for.
    .
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    .
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    Warranty periods DO start when you buy them (even with speakers)........that's the whole purpose of having a receipt. Unless I'm missing something, this is standard practice for just about everything out there.
    Sorry-Actually I meant that in conjunction with being able to transfer the warranty to another buyer. Like a new car. You buy a car then resell it a year later. The Warranty is stil good for another two years (typ). Of course its a lot harder to clone a car and pass it off as real... but...
    ____________________
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    Has anyone called Polks CS?

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kchill View Post
    Oh God where is that Keiko guy at? We went to battle last week over a similar type of question. I'm sure he whould tell most of that you are clueless. He sales polks or whatever online. I wonder what his warranty is?

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=72102&page=2
    Nah, just you.


    EDIT: LOL...Over 3 months old, but I just saw this. I have chillywilly on my Bozo List. Thanks for
    the year end chuckle. :D
    Last edited by Keiko; 12-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (60)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rockford,IL
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    What are you selling? If you got 'dem good Polk speakers then let me know. Don't try to sell me none of 'dem crap speakers,though.:p:D
    2CH - Magnepan MGIIIA's, Rogue Audio Magnum 66 pre, Parasound HCA1200 MKII, Douglas Connection IC's and Cables, Oppo BDP-83SE

    Main HT - Adcom GFA7400, Rti70, Csi40, Rti28, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Signal Cable Analog 2 IC's, Mitsubishi 65" DLP, M&K 1250 THX Sub, Knu Koncepts cables

    Mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Rti8's, Athena 12" sub

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daboyz View Post
    What are you selling? If you got 'dem good Polk speakers then let me know. Don't try to sell me none of 'dem crap speakers,though.:p:D
    I can sell ya some white van speakers. Got a blown tweeter and only been dropped once. No warranty expressed or implied. PM me for details. ;)

    On another note, I wish I knew I was selling Polks or whatever. Why do people always let me know last on these things?

    :o

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    On another note, I wish I knew I was selling Polks or whatever. Why do people always let me know last on these things?
    Apparently you also have some confusion about your gender.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdschwendener View Post
    Apparently you also have some confusion about your gender.
    That's because I keep forgetting to check from one day to the next. But I can be anything anyone wants me to be. Remember, this is the internet.
    Last edited by Keiko; 12-28-2008 at 01:12 AM.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    That's because I keep forgetting to check from one day to the next. But I can be anything anyone wants me to be. Remember, this is the internet.
    LOL, thats why I quit chat rooms back in 1995. When I used to think AOL WAS the internet.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    I fondly remember ascii based BBS's at 300baud.

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    I fondly remember ascii based BBS's at 300baud.
    Oh the horror. Earliest I remember is 1200 baud
    So was that with having to place the handset into the cradle?

    Way back when, I remember loading code into my Atari computer (no not the game console) with a cassette tape-so slow you could almost transcribe the 1s and 0s.

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    Oh the horror. Earliest I remember is 1200 baud
    So was that with having to place the handset into the cradle?

    Way back when, I remember loading code into my Atari computer (no not the game console) with a cassette tape-so slow you could almost transcribe the 1s and 0s.
    OMG that's too funny.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Polk speakers on ebay
    By cabolton13 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 02:35 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Polk Speakers on Ebay?
    By Pat1120 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
  4. Warranty and Ebay
    By Silly Rabbit in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 06:04 AM
  5. ebay - warranty or not?
    By brwndoggy in forum Flea Market
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts