I've been wanting to build a little speaker pod for my motorcycle for a while. Not really for anything, mostly out of boredom because I'll probably never actually use it...lol. And it was a chance for me to get better acquainted with using 2-part expandable foam for shaping stuff. It will be powered, I'm sure, off of a terrible quality, very small amplifier (read Pyle marine amplifier unless I can find something else) getting its input from an iPod.
Here's a few pics of the build:
Started out with a piece of plywood and several layer of fiberglass for the base. The blue straps you see in the picture is what will secure it to the bike. It will be 100% removable, which was a must.
No middle pictures. Here it is already shaped and resined. The stuff is called two-part foam. You can get it from some of your bigger marine suppliers in town. Mix it 50/50 and stir for about 30-45 seconds, then the magic begins. This is my first time using the stuff and let me tell you...it didn't turn out to great. I kind of guestimated that they were equal, I think that had a hand in it, as well as stirring it too long. The stuff was also kind of old, which didn't help any either. The end result came out bad in a lot of places. Huge pit holes 3/8" in diameter that couldnt be taken down with a rasp, had to be grinded down with an angle grinder...and it had a tough time doing it. Other parts came out perfect, and other parts came out between the two extremes. That's why I test this stuff out on my stuff first before I'm willing to do it in customer's car. I'll still need more practice with it before im confident in using it. After my truck is done, I will be trying my hand at it some more in the fiancee's civic. Anyway, here's the pic after I made it look a lot better;)
Side view. You can tell here the sides came out really well, it was mostly just the top that was bad...unfortunately, the top needed the most sculpting. This added days to the process.
Done! Just kidding...but almost...heres some trial pics on the bike. There was a solid week of sanding/bondo before it got to this stage. The tweeter will go on top of the mid where the hump is. I'm just waiting for the mounting bracket to come in.
Front view since the first side view you cant really see the curves. Poor lighting and a camera phone...
Better look at the curves. I also blacked out the brake light and signal lights. Theyre still really bright...after the 2nd try...first try it was too dark so I redid it. Pretty sure its illegal though...lol.
Since then, I've done some more bondo work on the edges (the main part is done) and some more sanding. I have more sanding to do though. I also had a bad experience with SF-1 or SP-1 (cant remember) primer I used from Sherwin Williams. It went on EXTREMELY rough...something else that added a few days to the process. Im using rustoleum now, 10x better. I have also realized that the other stuff is extremely soft and dents/pits very easily...another set back. Last time I use that stuff. I usually use rustoleum, but sherwin williams is literally across the street. Never make that mistake again.
The end result will be painted black. So far, I'm pleased with results, especially considering all the setbacks I've had. Its far from perfect, the sides are not completely round, but I'm not a painter...if I wanted perfection, I'd take it to one. So far this project has cost me around $100 between the foam, resin, fiberglass, primer, and paint. The only thing else I have to buy is some clear coat and a small amp. The foam itself was $50 and I still have 80+% left, so its cost me less than that considering I still have supplies left over.
More pics to come over the next few weeks. My shop is in the process of moving to a new location and my school is picking up with tests and such, so the process will def. slow down, but I don't have a whole lot left (I hope), so I'm hoping to be done by the weekend after next.