Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help with my new Polk HT setup...

I'm brand new to these forums and I also just purchased my first Polk Audio speakers. I did a ton of research online and spent plenty of time comparing speakers at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. I'd like to hear suggestions from any of you experts to make sure I'm getting the most out of my setup. Here's what I'm working with at the moment...

Center - CS10
    Fronts - TSi200
    Rears - Some old 2.5" KLH speakers
    Sub - PSW110
    Receiver - Yamaha 663

HD DirecTV box and a PS2 hooked up with optical cables, and an iPod with a Monster RCA iCable.

Obviously, my rear speakers are lacking. I'll be replacing those as soon as I've got the cash to do so. I'm thinking about going with a pair of the OWM3, the RM7, or TSi100. I think the TSi100 would blend in the best, but I'd like to have something smaller, which is why I'm considering the OWM3 or RM7. At this point, I'm thinking OWM3 because of their mounting versatility and larger woofer. Thoughts? I've never actually heard the OWM3 speakers.

Another issue is the bass crossover...I want to make sure I'm utilizing it properly. I have a Monster M850 subwoofer cable that came with a Y splitter and I've got that hooked into the L&R inputs on the PSW110...it seems to kick more than if I just use the LFE input for some reason. On my receiver I've got all speakers set to "small" with the crossover set to 80Hz. I've played around with it and tried everything between 60 and 120 Hz. Does anyone know what the optimum crossover might be for the TSi200 paired with the PSW110? I know it changes depending on room setup, etc, but I can't seem to satisfy myself just yet. I get good highs from the front and center, good lows from the sub, but the middle seems to be weak...which is surprising to me because the TSi200 and the CS10 all have two 5.25" woofers. FYI, if it matters, the sub is in the back of the room sitting on the floor behind my couch. It's really the only space I have for it and my wife wanted it out of sight too. I can easily turn it up loud enough to shake the whole couch.

Also, would bi-wiring the TSi200's change/help anything? I haven't done it yet b/c I ran out of speaker wire.

I use the system more for HDTV and movies, but I do listen to music regularly and jam on some Rock Band with my friends. The way I have it now, it seems to be better for TV and movies rather than music.

I'm fairly new to all this audio jazz. I've got a decent understanding but I'm sure plenty of you are much more knowledgeable than I am. Sorry for the long post, but if you have any feedback it would be much appreciated!

-Smitty

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Welcome and congrads on your Polk purchase.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by $mitty View Post
    Another issue is the bass crossover...I want to make sure I'm utilizing it properly. I have a Monster M850 subwoofer cable that came with a Y splitter and I've got that hooked into the L&R inputs on the PSW110...it seems to kick more than if I just use the LFE input for some reason. ...
    I would expect you to get better results without the splitter, and use the LFE input. Others may have a different suggestion on this point. Setting your receiver correctly will be important: either LFE only or LFE & L/R, IIRC.

... On my receiver I've got all speakers set to "small" with the crossover set to 80Hz. I've played around with it and tried everything between 60 and 120 Hz. Does anyone know what the optimum crossover might be for the TSi200 paired with the PSW110? ...
    Since the lower limit -3dB on those speakers is 50Hz (very similar to mine) I should have thought 60 might have been a better crossover point, but if you tried that already perhaps not, unless the settings need adjusted on your receiver.

... Also, would bi-wiring the TSi200's change/help anything? I haven't done it yet b/c I ran out of speaker wire. ...
    According to C.W., no, not in the least.

Welcome to Club Polk, and good luck with your setup ... don't forget to enjoy it while you agonize over getting it just right!

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Since you are not using the LFE input, make sure you turn the crossover on the sub all the way up. (since you are using the crossover in your AVR - you do not want two of them running)

I would run 80 hz for your front speakers and if your rears are pretty small - would run them at 120hz. (assuming you can set multiple crossovers - if not, just stick with 80hz.)

I would not worry about bi-wiring.

Michael

BTW - Welcome to club polk.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    Since you are not using the LFE input, make sure you turn the crossover on the sub all the way up. (since you are using the crossover in your AVR - you do not want two of them running)

I would run 80 hz for your front speakers and if your rears are pretty small - would run them at 120hz. (assuming you can set multiple crossovers - if not, just stick with 80hz.)

I would not worry about bi-wiring.

Michael

BTW - Welcome to club polk.
    What he said, and I second the Welcome to Club Polk.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Welcome to CP and enjoy the Polks! You made a good choice for your HT. :D

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks for the info...I didn't realize I had to have the crossover on the sub turned all the way up since I'm not using the LFE input. Do you all recommend using the L&R inputs or the LFE, and what's the difference/benefit of one over the other? To my untrained ear, I prefer the L&R...it seems to be capable of reaching lower frequencies than when I plug it into the LFE.

Unfortunately I can't adjust the front and rear speakers separately. I've got them all at 80Hz and the sub all the way up (volume about 60%) and it's of the heezy fo sheezy. I've been trying it at 60Hz, but the rear speakers can't handle it and it seems to muddle up the fronts a little bit.

I think my main issue must be the lack of quality rear speakers. Anyone have experience with the OWM3's? I like their size and the fact that they can be mounted multiple ways, I just don't know how they sound!

Thanks for the welcome to Club Polk btw!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by $mitty View Post
    Thanks for the info...I didn't realize I had to have the crossover on the sub turned all the way up since I'm not using the LFE input. Do you all recommend using the L&R inputs or the LFE, and what's the difference/benefit of one over the other? To my untrained ear, I prefer the L&R...it seems to be capable of reaching lower frequencies than when I plug it into the LFE. ...
    Using LFE usually means you will get better special effects from the LFE 0.1 channel in 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital movies. It sounds as though your sub is turned up too high though. It should really be at less than 50% (about 10 o' clock on a standard analog scale). You can then adjust it correctly as necessary using the receiver channel adjustments.

You may have the impression it is playing lower when you use the L/R splitter currently simply because you are bypassing the receiver's crossover, and the subwoofer crossover is set differently (I'm not certain of this). You should still get better results IMO without the splitter, once you have adjusted the receiver settings correctly. When using the LFE input setup, you bypass the subwoofer's crossover and use only the crossover setting in the receiver.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Talking about the inputs on the back of your Sub....

LFE - is a straight input into the amp, it bypasses the internal crossover in your sub.

Splitting the signal into the Right and Left input and hooking up that way - will use the crossover built into the sub (that is why you have to turn it all the way up). I am guessing, but I bet the reason it seems to sound better may be because it is playing louder (at the same volume position on the back of the sub. Since you are using 2 inputs, you get 3 extra DB of gain that way.)

Lest you feel you are getting something for nothing - your sub will probably run out of steam at about the same acoustic level (loudness). Whatever way you hook it up and like the sound though - that is the way you should do it.

Enjoy the system,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Thread Information