Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube Dampers??

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Default Tube Dampers??

Caveat: I'm a tube newb....
    Are tube dampers worth getting? Or are they hocus pocus?
    If they serve a real purpose and are recommended, suggested brands or sources??

Only source I looked at so far is http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

Right now I only need two for my Dodd ELP.

Thanks

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I came to no "conclusive conclusions" after adding them to the 4 tubes in my pre and one in my CDP. I took no scientific approach and did not listen carefully for 2 hours before or after etc.

They are relatively inexpensive and in theory I could see the benefit. In reality I can neither confirm or deny their worth except in my mind - they make me feel good.

Now, if you wanted to talk about cables, I could offer a real opinion ;)
    2. CH: Rega P3-24, Oppo BDP 95, Rogue Ninety Nine Magnum, Rogue Stereo 90, Tyler Linbrook Sig. Monitors, Audio Art Cables, APC H15

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Microphonic tubes do exhibit less "ring", when using Herbies, but I decided that once I found a tube to become microphonic, I lost interest in keeping it in the system regardless of how much I could tame the ring. Bottom line with me was they could make a poor tube listenable, but simply listenable wasn't good enough for me, when rolling the tube out is so easy to do.

In the world of tweakers, they do offer a sort of cool look.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Like with any damping tweak, it depends… Maybe at normal low listening SPL’s you won’t need them, but venture into higher dB ranges and you might find them beneficial. It works that way for me anyway… Also, some tubes are more microphonic than others. With the:

90-day no-risk trial. If not satisfied, simply return your Herbie's Audio Lab product within 90 days for a full refund.

You can always return them if you don’t receive any benefit.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Consider buying them more for the cool factor than anything else. Otherwise, the extra bucks can be better spent on a six-pac of your favorite beverage.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I like the Herbies brand of dampers and use them on all my tubes. I've had some vintage gear that I felt experienced a benefit but not much modern stuff. Not sure why but I don't really care....they're cheap.

Thanks all,
    Yeah I figured that they are low cost so relatively low risk. A couple tubes (or pairs) I have seem to be ringing as microphonic-I flick them and I can hear ringing in the speakers.
    I haven't rolled much, but like Dennis, I'd probably be more prone to just replacing the tubes.
    For $30 I'm not likely to return them even if they were useless-I'm bad like that-I think more money would have to be involved.

I think I'll pick up a pair of Herbies, to see if it tames the microphonics and if for nothing else the 'cool factor' and to see for myself what level of improvement they might have.

Thanks..

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner View Post
    Microphonic tubes do exhibit less "ring", when using Herbies.....
    I picked up a set, and I tested them out on a VERY microphonic set of tubes, and I agree-they definitely reduce the 'ring'. However they definately don't reduce the overall microphonics. I could lightly slide my finger down one of the 'wheels' and it would still sound like I was running my finger across a microphone. If I flick my finger against the pre's chassis (such as the input selector knob), without the damper there is a 'ring' of sorts, but definately muffled if not reduced altogether with the dampers on.

I bought a pair of the MidFi+ as well (for $5 each) and I didn't notice much if any difference. Except that in the very microphonic tubes, I could actually hear static or something as I 'rolled' the silicon wheels down the tube's surface.

I'm sure that different results would likely be achieved depending on the rest of the system, one's hearing sensitivities, different tubes, and different tube 'issues'.

So from my own brief testing and conclusions-It's my opinion that the dampers do in fact do something, however its limited. I would compare it physically to ringing a bell-while holding (damping) a bell in your hand it will still make a noise, but muffled (less ring), but not no noise at all. Is it a worthwhile tweak for $5-15 each? I would say yes.

I will keep them on for the interesting look as well as possibly reducing any 'ring' that I just might not be able to hear (esp. at louder volumes) that just might possibly be improving my SQ.

I will simply avoid microphonic tubes and just reserve them for testing tweaks or burning in speakers/ICs (so as not to reduce the useable life of good tubes).

Thanks all.
    -Madden

Member Sales Rating: (19)

They look cool, so they must do something
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default not to worry

All Herbies products have a 90 day money back guarantee if you don't like them. Plenty of time to evaluate for yourself in your system w/o the need to rely on others with different setups and gear...... and ears!

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I'm no tubehead but it would seem to me that increasing the surface area of the tube would help dissipate heat a little and increase tube life a little irregardless of the dampening benefits.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (21)

I used them with my ELP, mine were some large brass rings you adjusted to fit the tube cant recall the name, I sold them to George Daniels with the unit. Cant say they did much for SQ, but the hear dissapation made sense and they sure did not hurt anything.

I do not use them with my BAT or Manley gear.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I use the orange silicone type and I'm not sure if they make a difference. Practically I could see where they could help since I'm using two per tube and that's some good dampening ability, but they probably help a little. I ordered mine from ebay and they were uber cheap ($25 shipped for 20 dampers), so I'm not heart broken if they don't make a difference.

PS. My amp now looks like some kind of UFO without the top on it with all the circuits, tube glow, and orange rings.

Thread Information