Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Let's talk horror!!!

I absolutely love me some horror flicks. Slasher, gothic, classic, B-movie, grindhouse, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, zombies, come one, come all.

So many to choose from, but I have to list some of my personal favorites as Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Dawn of the Dead (original), Dead/Alive, Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and Cabin Fever.

With Halloween just around the bend, what are some of your faves?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Hot Fuzz....hilarious zombie bloodfest!
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

The Coen Brothers film? I don't know if I would consider that "horror" - even though the last scene with the dying man and the faucet was kinda creepy.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    Hot Fuzz....hilarious zombie bloodfest!
    Don't you mean Shaun of the Dead? Hot Fuzz was made by the same guys (not the Coens, zombie boy, it was Simon Pegg et al) but wasn't about zombies (I don't think).

The Shining still freaks me out quite a bit (and yes the book is 10x scarier but still).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

He originally listed Blood Simple before he edited his post. Trust me... I know Shaun of the Dead:p

Hahah, of course, with a name like zombie boy... how silly of me. ;)

I would expect you to be just as well-versed with What About Bob?:D

You're right about The Shining. The twins in the hallway is one of the scariest images of all time. And to think King thought Kubrick butchered his book and actually preferred the made for TV drivel from about ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post
    I would expect you to be just as well-versed with What About Bob?:D

You're right about The Shining. The twins in the hallway is one of the scariest images of all time. And to think King thought Kubrick butchered his book and actually preferred the made for TV drivel from about ten years ago.
    I love Stephen King books, but the guy has no sense when it comes to movies. Every adaptation he has been a part of, save very few gems (Shawshank, Stand by Me) have been DISASTERS. That miniseries of the Stand took one of my favorite novels of all time and turned it into a 4-hour trainwreck. Every time I see a decent adaptation of a Stephen King book (say, Pet Semetary, which was pretty scary) I just assume he didn't write the screenplay.

Funny you should mention it, but I think the sister in the attic scene in Pet Semetary is also one of the scariest ever committed to celluloid.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Lon Chaney as the wolfman, classic, also the Invisible man with Claude Raines, love old classics

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

My kind of horror is True Blood (on HBO). scary and yet sexy. :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The Changeling with George C. Scott is still my favorite horror film of all time. I prefer unnerving horror with some subtlety to the slasher/gore variants of the genre. That said, John Carpenter's The Thing is one that will never be bested by modern CGI.

Of recent films, I think Frailty is the most intelligent horror film I've seen. Guillermo Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone was excellent. And though the American remake was meh, the Pang Brothers' The Eye was an outstanding bit of horror. Contrarily, I think the American version of Ring was infinitely better than the original and made far more sense.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

For classic horror I like the first 3 Friday the 13ths. The third was real cool in the theater:) I was about 12 when I got into them(1982)
    Cool thread.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Good call on The Thing. I read an interview with Clive Barker where he made a very interesting point about the scene where they draw blood. How could a series of simple needle pricks generate so much tension and dread? It really cut to the core of something primal in his opinion.

I have to agree. And with that being said, that's why CGI is never necessary to generate a true scare.

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    For classic horror I like the first 3 Friday the 13ths. The third was real cool in the theater:) I was about 12 when I got into them(1982)
    Cool thread.
    That third one was in 3-D right? I remember the eye ball popping out through the screen. Don't ask me why my dad decided to torture his young son by subjecting me to this flick at such a young age. Sicko.
    Now that I think of it, I had to watch Jaws 3-D as well. I need therapy.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Some of you may think its silly but the scene in The Ring, when the girl crawls out of the TV creeped me completely out, I saw The Ring in the theater when it first came out and I have yet to this day to watch it again.
    Casey

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post
    That third one was in 3-D right? I remember the eye ball popping out through the screen. Don't ask me why my dad decided to torture his young son by subjecting me to this flick at such a young age. Sicko.
    Now that I think of it, I had to watch Jaws 3-D as well. I need therapy.
    Yep thats the one! The eye ball was real funny, and the 3D did help with the unexpected things jumping out at you. I think that movie is up there with the most popcorn launched in a movie theater ever.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (7)

S Kings original tv version of Salems Lot,that kid floating outside the window!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

The leech scene in "Stand By Me."

UGH.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

End of, "The Ring" freaked me out! Had nightmares for several weeks... ehhh
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D :D :D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier
    Samsung 3600 BluRay Player

Life is Good!

"It's Alive" freaked me out as kid! "The Crawling Eye" gave me the willies too! "Prophecy, The Monster Movie" also gave the shivers as a kid. "Hell Raiser" is probably my favorite although "Re-Animator" and "From Beyond" are a lot of fun too!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The classic, Night of the Living Dead-George Romero. They're coming to get you Barbara!

Kudo's to Hitchcock for Psycho and I like all the original horror flicks.
    Boris Karloff, Lon Cheney and Bela Lugosi. No CGI or special effects. Just good story telling and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    Don't you mean Shaun of the Dead? Hot Fuzz was made by the same guys (not the Coens, zombie boy, it was Simon Pegg et al) but wasn't about zombies (I don't think).

The Shining still freaks me out quite a bit (and yes the book is 10x scarier but still).

Sorry, yes; I meant Shaun of the Dead. Duh.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Member Sales Rating: (55)

I was the only male in my home with 4 females around 1995-1996. There's horror for you.

Re-Animator was priceless. "Herbert West has a very good head on his shoulders... and another one in a dish on his desk." Freakin' classic.

Brings back memories. Nice to see some of my all-time faves mentioned like The Changeling and The Shining. Re-Animator was hilarious, also loved the Evil Dead series for just pure schlock. And I loved Shaun of the Dead, what a fun movie!

And since this is an audio forum lets not forget the ridiculous over the top bass heavy DTS version of The Haunting.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT

The only horror movie I ever really liked was "Christine". It was just awesome all around! the story was cool, the screen play was well-written and for a horror movie, the acting was actually quite good. That and something about a red, possessed, 1958 Plymouth Fury that could fix itself and played Doo-Wop! It was surreal!

I'm not a huge fan of horror movies. I usually find them quite predictable. The only one so far that has thrown me for a loop was the original "Saw". It's been diluted through successive gore-fests with less than zero redeeming value. But the original "Saw" went down a path that no one had before IMO. However, the first time I watched it, I totally did not see that ending at all. James Wan is one twisted dude.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Member Sales Rating: (55)

When the ball comes bouncing down the stairs in The Changeling, if your hair doesn't stand up, you're not human.

I thought maybe you were on a roll until The Thing comment. John Carp's "Thing" is bested by the original friend.

I think Carpenter would probably agree with you. I like how he has it playing in the background during Halloween. Nice touch before he even attempted the remake.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by millerman 3732 View Post
    Some of you may think its silly but the scene in The Ring, when the girl crawls out of the TV creeped me completely out, I saw The Ring in the theater when it first came out and I have yet to this day to watch it again.
    I always watch these moves and say "I would kick that monsters ass". But this scene let me know it would be my ass getting kicked. How would you begin to fight that.

Thread Information