Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Talking Definitive SDA vs LSi thread

Both series seem to be renouned as Polk Audio's greatest speakers produced. For those of you who have heard or owned both - this is the thread to do your comparison between the two!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nothing to compare - they are totally two different speakers. Size/design/sound!!!!!!
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Polk-a-dweeb
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

yep...nothing but apples and oranges.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Stronzo

I tend to disagree, when it comes to audio, you can always make a comparison and contrast.

Perhaps a simpler question would be :

If you had to choose between either the flagship Lsi, or SDA.... what would be your decision ? why ?

Still apples and oranges!!!!
    The flagships of the two are even more different. The flagship SDA would make the LSi25 look like a toy.
    They both have woofers and tweeters.
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Stronzo

Nothing apples and oranges about it. It is like presenting you with a Ferrari and a Lamb... and asking which one you would choose to keep, and why.

As for the Lsi25 looking like a toy - clearly - looks, aren't everything. ;)

Polk-a-dweeb

Apples

The SDA's were ahead of their time, a unique product with a unique way of delivering sound. Some thought it was a gimick, others were quite pleased with the novel approach to stereo seperation. SDA speakers should never be aimed, instead they should point straight ahead for the best possible SDA effect.

Oranges
    Lsi's on the other hand are a conventional speaker that should be aimed (toed-in) and do not mix Left/Right channels to eliminate Inter-Aural Crosstalk in any way. They stand apart from the crowd by virtue of the Vifa ring radiator tweeter, the cascading crossover and the the Acoustic Resonance Control ports.

Bananas
    It would be easy to get into a discussion about which is best, but there would never be a concenses. There are far to many differing opinions about which is better, and why.

Stronzo

So we have different materials, different approaches and history. Gentlemen, I can understand your view yet at the same time I am a bit perplexed why this is dismissed by a simple "apples and oranges" clishe (sp).

There are many versus comparisons.

Soundstage
    Imaging
    Dynamic range
    Value - performance
    effeciency
    tonal accuracy
    Details

Etc etc..

If this is a topic which seems too broad to attract attention, that is fine. If its seen as a bit redundant, thats fine too. This is simply something done for the hell of it, to gather as many "concesus's" as possible for the simple sake of references. I personally enjoy reading a vast variety of opinion's. But hey, thats not everybodies bag.

Who cares? I'll take the 1.2tl's because of looks over ne other speakers out there! although, just give ATC a comparison or a reveiw, like - which soundstage is better, imaging is better....etc.etc.....newayz im bored
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

Polk-a-dweeb

I understand what you are trying to do, and I am not opposed to a discussion of the merits of both speakers individually. But a comparison of the two simply cannot be done because the approach to music reproduction is so different. Since you have both in your home try a simple test. Pick your favorite CD and listen to the same song on both speakers. You are going to see that each has it's own quality that cannot be compared to the other simply because they reproduce the soundfield in a different way. One is SDA, one is conventional. You can't get much more different than that.

FWIW, I wish that I still had my SDA's for a 2 channel only system, I really liked the sound and the SDA technology provided a nice effect.

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

ATC,

Did you pick up an SDA cable yet?

I agree with Frank. It's an apples/oranges debate, IMO.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Ok all you numbnuts, so which FRUIT do you like better APPLES or EFFIN ORANGES???? Which speaker do you like BETTER? ;)

Jesus, why is this not a fair question? C'mon. ;)

ATC,

From the models I've heard in the SDA line, I actually prefer the smaller speakers in the series, eg: CRS, 2B, 1C. In the limited demos I've had of the larger models, they seemed not as refined, or easy to listen to, but then again, maybe I just didn't hear them in a large enough room to let them breathe.

The LSi series is a GREAT series for Polk, I have not heard the 25, but between the other 3 main models, music only, I think the LSi9 is clearly the flagship of the series.

Maybe I just like smaller speakers, but the LSi9 and CRS are my favorites out of both lines. I think the soundstage, stereo seperation, and shear presentation of the SDA is VERY tough to beat. As far as the new LSi series, the best word I can think of is FLAT. I LOVE flat in speakers,(not in women). Very accurate, plays the music as it was recorded.

Both speakers require attention to setup and placement for best results, but I feel the SDA is a little more forgiving.

Tough call, I say if you can, own em' both. If forced to pick, I'll keep my SDA.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 01-17-2003 at 10:33 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Polk-a-dweeb

Grapes. I like grapes. Anybody else like grapes? I guess it's because they taste...grape-e.

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

I'm allabout apples allday. I have apples in my sole.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Hmmm, such indecision, and reluctance to go to war LOL . So unlike these forums :)
    I'll say I am a recent owner of the LSI9's. They are a great speaker in every aspect, but still the only speaker ever to leave me with pure goosebumps was an SDA.
    Give me an SDA tower any day with a couple hundred watts behind her.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.

Stronzo

Frank,

I can respect your point of view. Don't take this the wrong way, but you can keep your apples and banana's. Oranges however, they are quite tastey! This reminds me, I tend to enjoy things when they are out of season..

Troy,

Will work on that if I recieve an E-mail from HAR. Cant imagine these things sounding 50 percent better but hey - Im all for improvement!

Russ,

Ah ! A participant! Thank you!

Stronzo

I suppose I cannot give just opinions and results until I recieve the SDA interconnect cable. Once that happens - its on !

Member Sales Rating: (13)

ATC,

Yep, with the cable it's like night and day. I'd give my opinion on the main topic, but I've not heard the LSi's.

BTW, I like strawberries :D
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Polk-a-dweeb

Atc,
    Am I reading your post correctly? You have SDA's but have not heard them with the SDA cable inplace?

He bagged 2b's without the cable on the cheap. I think Har is going to send him a hand-made pin/blade.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Polk-a-dweeb

OOOOHHHHH! That explains a lot! ATC you'll understand my Apples/Oranges/Bananas analogy once you get the SDA cable. Then you'll see what I'm talking about. Without the cable you have been listening to just another pair of speakers, nothing special really. But once you hear the SDA effect , well lets just wait to hear from you.

Ok...ill edit it....
    let me see here.......
    Oranges and Apples eh?
    Bose and Polk - their totally different, however u will compare. Yes, some of you compared the two, god speed to u! But heres the thing, who cares? my polk and klh are completely different, will i compare them? Yes...heck i wanna hear a comparison too....cmon! give a good reveiw...
    Last edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn; 01-18-2003 at 12:08 AM.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Duck!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

goose!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC

Polk-a-dweeb

Sid,
    You need to reread what has been posted before you start another pissing contest.

Sid, why so many posts? You are a young lad, shouldn't you be masturbating, or experimenting with drugs?

;)

Cheers,
    Russ

Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Sid, why so many posts? You are a young lad, shouldn't you be masturbating, or experimenting with drugs?

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    I learned from ur mistakes russ ;)
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC

Polk-a-dweeb

Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    my polk and klh are completely different, will i compare them? Yes...heck i wanna hear a comparison too....cmon! give a good reveiw...
    No your speakers are basically the same thing. Both are standard direct radiating speakers. Pretty easy to compare 2 comparable designs. Neither of your speakers are capable of the SDA effect so there is no way to accurately compare their SOUND QUALITY to an SDA speaker because you do not have a baseline to relate to. That is what the previous posts are saying. Sure you can argue about which sound better until your blue in the face, but there will never be a consenses because everyone has a different opinion about what a good speaker(s) should sound like. SDA's sound like SDA's. Lsi's sound like Lsi's. You sound like you've been in Dad's liquor cabinet getting into the liquid intelligence!

Ok, Good ol frank, wtf is stopping you from posting what you think about the SDA's, and then what you think about the LSI's? EH? EH? Then when you've done that, compare what you posted...eh? eh? how about that for a start? U have to have an opinion on both, and u can COMPARE two opinions? am i right? eh? eh?

and by the way frank, nice to see you did that - u have a brain ;)! however, lots of people just didnt think to do that...congradulations
    Last edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn; 01-18-2003 at 12:26 AM.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC

Originally posted by RuSsMaN

;)

Cheers,
    Russ

Thread Information