Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default A Reciever to go with Polks RTI A Speakers

Hi
    I wanted to get some opinions on what recievers would go well with our current set up.
    I'd like to spend no more than 1000 on the reciever
    Must have at least 3 HDMI & Doby TrueHD
    We will mainly be using this to watch movies, listen to music & play games

Here is our current set up

Mains: Polk RTi A7
    Center: Polk CSi A6
    Surround: Polk RTI A5
    Sub: Undecided
    TV: Sony 52in XBR5
    Bluray: PS3

Thanks!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Welcome to CP. I would suggest harman/kardon, which I have found to be a fabulous match for Polk; or NAD, for even better power and pushing those drivers for better, tighter bass response.

The subwoofer will be an important choice, for movies especially IMHO.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

IMO, I would go with separates (pre and amp). Check out Emotiva.com

I know they have some new stuff coming in....
    Living Room:.................... Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**

or you could also buy a new pre and a used 5ch amp to cut down on the cost a little bit.
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Pioneer Elite 94 would be an all in one solution giving you all the inputs you want, plus internet radio and networking, and more; and for the sub check out SVS or Epik.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH, very good match with Polk speakers.

Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH
    Mains: Polk Rti10
    Center: Polk Csi-5
    Surround: Rc-65i
    Back surr.: Rc-85i
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Onkyo 805/806 is a great receiver

Thank you all for the replies. This will be our first home theater set up. We are using the money we got as wedding gifts for this. Much better than pots & pans =P
    We both have done a lot of reading and then went out and listen to a lot of different speakers. It came down to the polk and the Paradigm Monitors. We both like these two but like the polks a little more.
    However we cant seem to decide on a reciever, its not as easy which can be frustrating. The only one we both really like was the New Rotel but its out of our price range at 1900
    My husband and I would much prefer the seperates set up but realistically its out of our budget.
    It seems the more I read about different recievers the more undecided I become. I will check out the recievers that you guys have suggested.
    I would have to say my problem with Onkyo is that they seem to have a lot of firmware issues.
    We just may go with the cheapest reciever that wil run our speakers with out clipping and such for now and save a bit and get a better one or maybe seperates in a year.
    What power requirements would the seakers we have require, are they very power hungry?

Thanks for your help!

There is no need for separates for the RTIa line........a receiver will be just fine. What the separates will give you is more dynamic sound presentation, but as long as you get a receiver with at least 100wpc that will be good. I have a B&K that I like that is 150WPC and I've always liked how that has performed (aside from it's current trip to the repair shop)

Long ago, I started with an Onkyo receiver and overall I did like it.....it was very bass pronounced which at the time I was very OK with.

The typical receiver brands to look at are going to be HK, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer, and you really can't do much wrong with any of them.

The one thing I would advise against is buying something a few rungs down the ladder from what you're wanting.......don't spend money on just something to fill in until you buy something bigger in the short term. I won't lie and say you won't upgrade, but the absolute worst thing you can do is to buy something just for the sake of getting something in your system without at least SOME sort of future readiness (pre-outs for separates, all current formats you have media for, power to drive speakers comfortably without feeling anemic if you do decide to upgrade speakers, etc.)

Are you opposed to buying used gear? There is a LOT of used equipment out there that might allow you to buy up a few models/lines that you might not be able to with your current budget. Check www.audiogon.com for things that might appeal to you.
    Last edited by brettw22; 11-04-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    There is no need for separates for the RTIa line........a receiver will be just fine.
    Speak for yourself......a receiver was not fine for me. Sure it's great for HT, but if you like to do any serious 2-channel listening, I would consider separates. That's why I suggested getting a new pre with all the bells and whistles and a used 5-channel amp. You can always sell it and upgrade the amp down the road.
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

I picked up a new Onky 875 for $900 just before the 876 came out. I believe you can still find them out there and they should be discounted. The 875 puts out 140 wpc when using only two channel (say, for music) and also has some nice video upscaling.

You will get different opinions regarding whether you need an amp or not. The key is that not every AVR is the same. I was running my Rti 10's with an Onk 605, It was OK, but there is defintiely an improvement when I upgraded to the 875. However, I'm still on the fence as to whether I would benefit further from an amp because the 875 has some balls. If I buy an amp it is because I like buying electronics, not because I "needed" one.
    MAIN: Polk Lsi9s; Polk PSW505; Lsic (in box); Onkyo SR-875; Parasound 2250; Cambridge Audio 740C; LG BD370
    OFFICE: Polk Lsi7; REL T3; HK 3490; CA 840W; Onkyo C-S5VL
    BENCHED: CS20; OWM3s

Quote Originally Posted by curved View Post
    Speak for yourself......a receiver was not fine for me. Sure it's great for HT, but if you like to do any serious 2-channel listening, I would consider separates. That's why I suggested getting a new pre with all the bells and whistles and a used 5-channel amp. You can always sell it and upgrade the amp down the road.
    Relax....I didn't say you were a bad person if you had separates.........just that separates aren't a necessity. Of course separates will give more power and dynamic sound to the system, but separates don't fit within their budget, and when you factor in the amount needed for interconnects you get well beyond their budget.

They can do just fine with a receiver.......Generally speaking, most people into HT prefer the ease of a receiver over separates.......because it's not cheap getting a 5 or 7 channel amp, cables, and a pre/pro.

They might be able to finagle something via the used market, but not everyone's comfortable getting used stuff with little to no guarantee of functionality or return ease.

Capiche?

POS internet.......doubled up

y

Brett - this is why I hate the internet. Things can be taken so many different ways. My apologies - I didn't mean to sound bitchy. I just wanted to make a point because I regret getting my Yami (and 2-channel is really growing on me:D )

Now back to the topic:
    There are a couple of different ways you can go. You have quite a few opinions. Now put that system together and take some pics.....;)
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

All good......

I can understand your irritation with receivers if your basis point is a Yamaha.......Stick with the main 5 above and you should be more than OK.........they're much better built than Yamaha's..........

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Curved, I think it's all in how much you want to spend. A receiver will be fine with RTiA's, and if you're serious about 2ch then that's the "wrong" speaker to start with. In the end it's all about money. With the need for all the newest codecs and HDMI, a receiver with that budget is about the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    The typical receiver brands to look at are going to be HK, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer, and you really can't do much wrong with any of them.
    +1

At around $1K all will drive the RTi's. The onkyo is the easiest to use. I have a HK and the sound is much warmer and smoother then my onkyo. My friend has a Pioneer elite (91 I think) and it has some great features and sound.

I would play with the most expensive model of the HK and Pioneer and see which one is the easiest to use and sounds best to you.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I just purchased a similiar speaker set-up of RTia9'S, CSi6, and FXiA7.
    My current Yamaha receceiver is a bit under-powered and does not decode the new HD formats. I am between an Onkyo 876 and Yamaha 1900.
    The system is used 50 / 50 for Surround Sound and 2 channel audio.

I am leaning toward the better receiver for 2-channel listening, which I believe Onkyo (based on other posts here and elsewhere) is known for.

Any input on other similair setups / decisions is appreciated...since this will be along term-purchase at this price-point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    if you're serious about 2ch then that's the "wrong" speaker to start with.
    You won't be saying that when I finish my xo mod ;)

We can all list our favorite receiver here (sound wise), but you really need to go listen to them for yourself with YOUR speakers and see what YOU like. IMHO, I like the sound of my Yami more than my Onkyo...but that's going to help you much.
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74020

I would check on this to see if it's sold or not!!! Get a move on it
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

Once again thank you so much for the responses. I think we are leaning towards either the Pioneer Elites or a Denon. Fry's is the only place in our area that has these speakers so its hard to test out the speakers with all of the receivers. We will probably head to frys this weekend or next to look at the receivers.
    We wanted to buy a new one just because if we don’t like it or if it doesn’t work with our setup we have 30days to exchange it for something else. Which is a big plus for us being first time HT's
    Don’t worry I will post pictures when we get it all set up, although it may be next month unfortunately this time is this busiest for my business and my husband has been working a lot as well. So not a lot of free time to do all this

With the Pioneer Elites youre in for a treat, very dynamic and clear. Pick one and enjoy. If you can definitely check out the Pioneer Elite SC-05. You can find them on the internet probably cheaper than Frys. Shoot me a PM if you need that info. Congrats on the new setup as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

I've owned a similar setup: RTi10/CSi5/RTi6/FXi3...I've tried countless receivers (HK, Denon, Sony, Onkyo)...I've tried quite a few amps (Adcom, Parasound, Anthem, Emotiva). My advice is this: buy a receiver with pre-outs and a good external amp. Spending more on a higher end receiver will get you diminishing returns when compared to an external amp. The soundstage, max volume, dynamic transients...they'll all be much better w/an amp. I run a modest Emotiva LPA-1 as an amp...and it sounded WAY better than my denon 2808's amp section...or my HK 245's amp section...or my (now returned) Onkyo 805's amp section. I was skeptical at first..esp b/c the emotiva wasn't 200 watts/channel as some here recommend...but it made a substantial improvement. In fact, I tried several 200wpc amps and was disappointed to find few (if any) sounded better than the $500 emotiva.

Getting back to the point though...whatever receiver you get make sure it has pre-amp outputs...and save up for an amp.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74020

I would check on this to see if it's sold or not!!! Get a move on it
    Does not meet the criteria unfortunately, it does not have the latest codecs the OP wants. Does not matter much if your source codes them through HDMI though (like PS3).

No mod is going to make the RTiA series a serious 2ch speaker. If you have money for separates, you have money to upgrade to LSi's too (or other more serious musical speakers from other manufacturers). :)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I have an older Elite (VSX-52txi) and it works very well with my RTiA7's for home theater. For serious 2 channel I have a late 70's Kenwood that makes them just sing. I have the speakers on a switch I picked up from radioshack and just flip the switch to go from two channel on the fronts to full surround. The receiver I got on Ebay and the amp at a local hi-fi shop. I spent about $600.00 and have a fantastic sounding multi-function system. My RTiA7's are now just under a year old fully broken in and sound truly amazing for the price I paid (about $720.00 cdn for the pair new). Enjoy
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    I have an older Elite (VSX-52txi) and it works very well with my RTiA7's for home theater. For serious 2 channel I have a late 70's Kenwood that makes them just sing. I have the speakers on a switch I picked up from radioshack and just flip the switch to go from two channel on the fronts to full surround. The receiver I got on Ebay and the amp at a local hi-fi shop. I spent about $600.00 and have a fantastic sounding multi-function system. My RTiA7's are now just under a year old fully broken in and sound truly amazing for the price I paid (about $720.00 cdn for the pair new). Enjoy
    According to Sami, the RTi series speaker is no good for 2-channel audio
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

According to Sami, the RTi series speaker is no good for 2-channel audio
    That's not what I said at all. You wanted to push separates for RTi's which isn't necessary. Sure everything sounds better with better electronics but the issue was about money. Separates cost way more money than a receiver when comparing apples to apples (used/used vs new/new), and if you have the money you're getting more bang for your buck with better speakers. The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with driving RTi's with a decent receiver.

If you're ONLY into 2ch, sure you can find great deals on 2ch pre and amp, but if you're also into HT the price goes up quite a lot for a pre that has the features of a modern HT receiver.

Thread Information