Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Default Choose between these two 7.1 set-ups

    Hi Folks,

    I'm at the final stage of getting my HT/2 channel room set up. I have a pre-wired 7.1 set-up and I will be running the speakers with Emotiva XPA-5 for the surrounds and center and the Emotiva XPA-2 for the fronts. The sub is the SVS PB13-Ultra. My HT room is 20x13.8x9.

    The two set of speakers that I'm looking at are the Polk LSi 15's, LSiC and 4 LSiFX for the dipole and bipole surrounds. The other speaker set are the SVS MTS series speakers MTS towers, MCS centers and 4 MBS book self speakers.
    I listened to them both for both HT and 2 channel music and I like them both. The SVS maybe have a little better detail but if I never auditioned them I would be happy with the LSi's. I figure with amps I'm driving them with they should open up even more. My room will also be sound treated as well.

    The price difference between the two is about $1700 more for the MTS line.
    What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Regards

    Kirk

    FYI I have a 5.1 Polk Audio Rti series in my tv room and it sounds great for tv watching.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,190

    Default Jmo!

    Quote Originally Posted by dixlon View Post
    ... I listened to them both for both HT and 2 channel music and I like them both. The SVS maybe have a little better detail ...

    The price difference between the two is about $1700 more for the MTS line.
    What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? ...
    I have not listened to either, but if all you have to say about the MTS line is that they "maybe have a little better detail", it does not seem worth $1,700 extra, so I would probably stick with the LSi option, especially since they seem to be very well liked by forum members, most emphatically when matched up with good power.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    I have not listened to either, but if all you have to say about the MTS line is that they "maybe have a little better detail", it does not seem worth $1,700 extra, so I would probably stick with the LSi option, especially since they seem to be very well liked by forum members, most emphatically when matched up with good power.
    I kinda was thimking the same thing.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    Go with the LSi's and perform the crossover mod on them. (will still come in under the svs price and may recover most of the detail you thought was missing.....)

    Do a quick search on the forum though - someone recently purchase the MTS line from SVS that had LSi's..... Might be worth a quick PM to see what their opinion is...

    Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    Go with the LSi's and perform the crossover mod on them. (will still come in under the svs price and may recover most of the detail you thought was missing.....)

    Do a quick search on the forum though - someone recently purchase the MTS line from SVS that had LSi's..... Might be worth a quick PM to see what their opinion is...

    Michael
    Hi Michael,

    Sounds like an idea. Does anybody in the forum perform the crossover mod? Second question: Should I also mod the LSiC and the 4 LSiFX as well.

    Thanks

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    I have not tried the LSi15 mod yet. I was very happy with the increased clarity when I modded my LSiC though. I plan to do my 15's and LSi7's at the next SonicCraft sale.

    Ben62670 has done the Mod to some LSi15's and an LSiC, does work on other polkies speakers for a decent price, and just plain does good work. If you choose to do the work yourself, I am sure you can get some help from people here. If not, just give Ben a shout and he will guide you through sending him the crossovers and how to reinstall them into your speakers. (No idea on pricing, but Ben is usually pretty fair on that kind of stuff)

    I do not think the Schematics are listed for the LSiFX, but if you call Polk Customer Service, they can probably help you out with them. (the LSi15 and LSiC schematics are already posted on Club Polk)

    Either way - the results from every one that has upgrade the crossovers in their LSi's has been very positive.

    Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    I have not tried the LSi15 mod yet. I was very happy with the increased clarity when I modded my LSiC though. I plan to do my 15's and LSi7's at the next SonicCraft sale.

    Ben62670 has done the Mod to some LSi15's and an LSiC, does work on other polkies speakers for a decent price, and just plain does good work. If you choose to do the work yourself, I am sure you can get some help from people here. If not, just give Ben a shout and he will guide you through sending him the crossovers and how to reinstall them into your speakers. (No idea on pricing, but Ben is usually pretty fair on that kind of stuff)

    I do not think the Schematics are listed for the LSiFX, but if you call Polk Customer Service, they can probably help you out with them. (the LSi15 and LSiC schematics are already posted on Club Polk)

    Either way - the results from every one that has upgrade the crossovers in their LSi's has been very positive.

    Michael
    Just curious...does Ben do the whole mods if I sent the speakers to him?

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    I am sure that he would, but that would be a better question for him. Just send him a PM and ask.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Ok... If you had to choose, which would..
    By Terrax in forum Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 01:54 PM
  2. Help me choose a car...
    By madmax in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 08:31 PM
  3. Choose
    By criverajr in forum Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
  4. Which sub should I choose?
    By dpowell in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
  5. HSU, SVS, M&K! How do I choose?!?!?
    By JcM in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts