Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Whats all this xxxx about power conditioners ?

I dont really believe that they are worth spending money on, but I was able to pick up Panamax 4300-EX for $50 bucks (at least it looks good). I thought that they are supposed to "help" me regulate/clean my voltage, but as I read a few threads here, it turns out people are saying they are bad for AMPs and AVRs........

Whats up with that ? I have my Outlaw monoblocks and AVR plugged in there and subs are separate

oh and no body is talking about cable/telephone/internet jacks. do people use them on their power conditioners ?
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 11-15-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Power conditioners, as I'm sure you read about, can limit the current for an audio system. That can hamper the performance. I have had some power conditioners that make absolutely no difference whatsoever and others that really do help to clean up the sound. I haven't found one yet that will take dirty AC and completely clean it, so from what I have experienced....Dirty in = Dirty out. Now they do have , for example, a power re-generator which I have yet to try. From what I understand, these clean the AC and at least from what I have read/heard are not a current limiting unit. Search power re-generator or PS Audio to start getting your learn on if you wish.

I have used the cable/telephone/internet jacks on the power conditioners before. Unfortunately when lightning did strike, I had already gotten rid of all of the A/V side of my rig. So, I personally don't know whether or not any of them protected my gear. When they were hooked up, I experienced issues with the internet when plugged up into the conditioner. When a service technician came to diagnose the issue, he spotted that I had the incoming line going through the conditioner and told me that was the problem. He disconnected it and I haven't had a problem with the internet for about 3 years.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I have a Panamax 5500EX, it is a Power Regenator. It stores energy in its Toroidal Transformer. If my system is pulling less than 4.0Amps then it will provide my system with 120Volts Constant.

Before this unit I had a Panamax Max 1000+ which I bought because I lived in an apartment building at the time and you could hear and see (on my tv) the distortion that was coming from the dirty electricity.

The 1000+ cleaned all of that dirt up. I could not see it (as snow) on my TV and what I was hearing was clean Sound.

I have tried my system without the 5500 and it just doesn't sound the same, I think it sounds much better with it in the mix.

I have had only one song at my full volume that has clipped the panamax. Ask anybody, I listen to my system very loud. and I have seen the protection over limit warning light on the Panamax come on only once.

As per the telephone/data/coax connections, I don't use them, I tried with the coax but my cable modem at the time did not work while it was connected. So I just left it at that.

Lasareath
    Attached Images  
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Thanks guys. I ended up pluging amps directly to wall and avr to high current outlet in conditioner. This setup should work. As far as data goes, I was skeptical about it to begin with and I am not going to use it.

Thread Information