Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

To fill in a gap in the information in the post above:

Trey tells me that "the SDA and other inductors are Jantzen Perfect Lay."
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    No need to put any behind the tweeters just cut 4" wide long strips and put it behind the mids on the back wall of the speakers then cut 2" long strips and put them on the side walls of the speakers behind the mids that will give you all you need in these speakers.

More is not better and less is more IMO..
    Toolfan66, am I correct in assuming you are referring to strips of the BH5, not the polyfill?

Sorry to ask what probably is a simpleminded question to guys who have been working on these sorts of speakers for years, but I am a real newbie. Although I bought my SDA 1Cs over 20 years ago, I had never removed a driver, tweeter, or PR from them (or my SDA SRSs) till I removed the crossovers to send to Trey a couple of weeks ago.
    Family Room
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Yes BH5

Quote Originally Posted by Moose68Bash View Post
    Toolfan66, am I correct in assuming you are referring to strips of the BH5, not the polyfill?

Sorry to ask what probably is a simpleminded question to guys who have been working on these sorts of speakers for years, but I am a real newbie. Although I bought my SDA 1Cs over 20 years ago, I had never removed a driver, tweeter, or PR from them (or my SDA SRSs) till I removed the crossovers to send to Trey a couple of weeks ago.
    I took a little different approach than Larry - I installed it behind the tweeters as described earlier in order to provide a little more coverage to the back wall. As mentioned it's important not to overdo the BH 5, but that means don't cover the entire back and side walls.

Re: caps and resistors, Sweet! Those new Xovers will make a huge improvement.

Re: metal inserts, I seem to recall a thread where someone else had those factory installed. Most who install Larry's rings don't have those and are looking for a way to more securely fasten the MW's to the front baffle. Those inserts should provide most or all the benefits of the rings.

If you decide to remove them, one idea is to try and push them out from behind. Maybe tap them lightly with a small hammer and screwdriver to see if they'll budge. If they're glued in I'd probably leave them.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Drumminman, again, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Attachment 66677

Attachment 66678

Interior pics of the new Dreadnaught. Very psyched I finally got this done!
    Neil,

Thanks for posting these pictures. I would never have thought of putting Dynamat Xtreme on the metal "washer" used to secure the transformer.

Every little bit helps!

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Is there any reason not to build a case from wood ?
    I built a Dreadnought in a 11/32" plywood case that I wanted as a prototype for a 3/8" aluminum case that I am working on.

The plywood improved the performance of the Dreadnought. My wife verified the appreciable difference. When I heard it, I was afraid it was only a placebo effect!

I expect the improvement to be even greater when I get the aluminum case machined, anodized, and assembled. I plan to use it for the Avel Lindberg 1000VA transformer on order, and I hope to purchase a case from Larry to replace the plywood prototype.
    Family Room

Exercise Room
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    I did not hear a difference between the [Monster Cable] Z2 Reference and Volcano cables, even though the Volcanoes had a lower average noise spectrum density and magnitude. This seems to indicate that either there is an upper bound on improvement in sound quality with improvement in SDA cable quality or my equipment could not convey the difference or that my ears could not discern the difference.

While I did not hear a difference or improvement with the use of a pair of $3300 cables on the Dreadnought, I did hear a moderate improvement when the Dreadnought was placed in its $200 aluminium enclosure.

PS Audio xStream Resolution Reference Speaker Cable

While I was making new investigations in audio grade wire, I decided to revisit using better quality cables for the AI-1 Dreadnought. I had a pair of PS Audio xStream Resolution Reference speaker cables that had been in storage since being replaced by a pair of AudioQuest Volcanos in November of 2007. (PS-Audio-xStream-Resolution-Reference-Speaker-Cable-Review)

xStream Resolution Reference specifications:

11 AWG solid core conductors built from PCOCC (Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting process) copper.
    Hyper Litz counter spiral conductor configuration.
    Price: $800 per 3 meter pair.

There have been some improvements in my two channel system since the original Dreadnought cable trials:

05/2009 PS Audio Soloist SE In-wall power line conditioners.
    09/2009 PS Audio AC-12 power cords.
    12/2009 Audiodharma Cable Cooker.
    06/2010 Driver and tweeter retaining rings in SDA SRS 1.2TL speakers.
    01/2011 Solen 10 AWG SDA inductor in SDA SRS 1.2TL speakers.
    05/2011 Jantzen HF Inductors in SDA SRS 1.2TL speakers.
    12/2011 Solen LF Inductors in SDA SRS 1.2TL speakers.
    02/2012 1000 VA Dreadnought.
    06/2012 Replace all stock JC 1 power amp fuses with HiFi Tuning fuses.
    11/2012 Replace internal wire in SDA SRS 1.2TL speakers with AudioQuest GO-4.
    11/2010 Custom crossover circuit board.
    11/2011 HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses.

There were small, but easily heard, improvements with the xStream cables. I did listening tests with an xStream cable first on the right and then on the left, then on both sides. Quantitatively there was a little more detail, moreso at the sides of the sound stage. Spatially there was a little more image height overall and a little more depth at the sides of the sound stage.
    Last edited by DarqueKnight; 01-09-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

DarqueKnight, you have improved the sound of your speakers and most people here's beyond belief.

You have certainly left your mark and thank you for all that you have done and will do for audio at Club Polk !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    DarqueKnight, you have improved the sound of your speakers and most people here's beyond belief.
    I, and other SDA enthusiasts, continue to be surprised at the ever-increasing performce we are able to extract from a decades-old speaker design. I think SDA's were about 20 years ahead of their time. It took that long for low noise designs for amplifiers, wire, capacitors, inductors, and resistors to "catch up". One thing I have learned is that the spatial properties of loudspeakers, particularly SDA's, are significantly affected by the noise characteristics of wiring, crossover components and associated electronics.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

In july 2012 (Post # 291 above) I described my experience with the installation of Perreaux Prisma 750 monoblocks to drive SDA SRS1.2a speakers. The monoblocks are not common- ground amps, and the experience of "firing them Up" for the first time with the SDA SRSs was not fun. The Perreaux folks steered me to this thread and advised me to build a Dreadnought using a Toroid Corporation of Maryland 600VA isolation transformer.

I built the Dreadnought, and not knowing that eventually I would be able to purchase one of Larry's enclosures, I designed an enclosure, ordered pre-cut 3/8" aluminum plates, 1" x 1" x 3/16" aluminum angle irons, Cardas CCGR binding posts, and brass spikes to fabricate the enclosure. My goal was to have the aluminum components black, hard-anodized and to chamfer the face plate to resemble the face plates on my Perreaux equipment. While designing the enclosure, I assembled a prototype enclosure from 11/32" plywood, which I have been using for the last seven months with great satisfaction. (While the crossovers and binding post cups for the SAD SRS were being upgraded by Vr3 Mods -- that is, Trey -- I also used it with great success with my 1Cs and a common ground amp in a second system).

After several months -- involving work with a local machine shop and a not-so-local anodizer -- I have finally completed the assembly, and I installed it in my system last night. In the new enclosure, I installed the A-L 1000VA toroidal transformer I acquired in the recent group purchase nspindel orchestrated.

My first listening experience with the new Dreadnought v. the plywood-enclosed TCM 600VA AI was as follows:
    1. The most obvious difference was that to hear the music at the same level required a significantly higher volume setting.
    2. The soundstage was dramatically expanded horizontally and vertically -- about 4-6 feet beyond the speakers on horizontally and about 3 feet vertically. (As I recall, this is consistent with Darqueknight's experience with the A-L 1000VA transformer.)
    3. The geometry of the sound stage was altered. Darqueknight described his experience as a "crescent" or "m" shape that is thicker in the middle. His description is as good as I can come up with. In the center of the sound stage, instruments and vocals appeared to have a deeper space to perform in.
    4. Vocals sounded veiled; instruments sounded more prominent in the music. This effect was so pronounced that my wife almost immediately experienced what she described as "listener fatigue." She did not enjoy listening to the music unless I lowered the volume to a level that did not satisfactorily render the sound for me.
    5. Bass was emphasized, but was not as tight or well defined as with the plywood-enclosed TCM 600VA AI.
    6. Overall, the initial impression -- I expect it to change with playing time -- was that the very good sound we were getting from the plywood-enclosed 600VA TCM transformer was much better than the sound from the heavy aluminum-enclosed 1000VA A-L transformer.

Attached are some pictures of the process of fabricating the new Dreadnought. In case anybody is curious the assembly weighs about 45 pounds! (More pictures in the following post.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Plain - Top Off.jpg‎
Views:	78
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	79631   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Plain - Back.jpg‎
Views:	75
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	79630   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Plain Front Assembled.jpg‎
Views:	72
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	79629   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Plain Parts.jpg‎
Views:	68
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	79628  
    Family Room

Exercise Room
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Default Additional Pictures

I have additional pictures of my Dreadnought enclosure that I could not include in my prior post. As soon as I figure out how to reduce the size of each image (about 3.5 MB), I'll post them.

Sorry for this glitch.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I have not noticed any fatigue or veiled vocals with my 1000VA vs. my AL 800VA. My guess is that you either have something not wired correctly or you just need to give the transformer more time to break in.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Default Additional Pictures

Neil, thanks for your comments. I agree that these initial observations will likely give way to very different ones as we get more time on this transformer. After I installed Trey' modified crossovers and binding post cups on the SDA SRSs, it took a good 200 hours till we heard the profound improvements that we finally realized. I expect similar dramatic changes with the 1000VA transformer.

I am pretty sure the wiring is correct: I confirmed the wiring I planned to do with DarqueKnight before I soldered the wires to the binding posts, and the connections to the speakers are the same as with the prior Dreadnought.

I'm still working on converting more picture files to smaller file sizes so that I can upload them.

Here are some more pictures of the Dreadnought enclosure in various stages of assembly and as finally assembled.
    Attached Files

I thought a little sound quality was lost when I first connected the 1000VA AI-1 (compared to the 800VA AI-1). With time everything that was there before returned, and then it really blossomed.

I second giving it burn in time.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114_298.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	79666Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0116_299.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	79667

Well, we now have about 12 hours of listening time in, and this rig has truly blossomed!

We're listening to Ray Charles's "Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company." It is magnificent! The sound stage is about six feet wider on both sides and very deep -- Ray and his piano are about three feet in front of the plane of the speaker fronts and the orchestra is arrayed across the entire soundstage behind him and the individuals with whom he sings successive duets.

The instrumentals are deep and clear. The vocals are beautifully precise, clear and warm! The transients are fast and detailed. I don't know what more to say other than I hope things just keep getting better -- but I don't know where they can go from here. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride. (Current duet is with Willie Nelson singing "It Was a Very Good Year," and Willie just sang the "when I was 35" segment!) Beautiful.

Close my eyes and it sounds like they're all in the room with me.

Trey, DarqueKnight, Toolfan66, nspindel, drumminman and all those who helped me along the way with these mods, a mighty big thanks!
    Family Room

Exercise Room
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

I have not noticed any fatigue or veiled vocals with my 1000VA vs. my AL 800VA. My guess is that you either have something not wired correctly or you just need to give the transformer more time to break in.
    Agreed!! Are you sure none of your binding posts are not touching the aluminum case you built? BTW that thing is a tank...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Agreed!! Are you sure none of your binding posts are not touching the aluminum case you built? BTW that thing is a tank...
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

I don't know what more to say other than I hope things just keep getting better -- but I don't know where they can go from here.

You would be quite shocked at the difference driver rings and upgraded internal wiring would make.

It appears from your signature you have 1.2's (with RD0194 tweeters). Since you were upgrading the crossovers, why didn't you do a 1.2TL conversion?

Thanks for the comments.

Toolfan, it is a tank -- 46 pounds with the transformer installed. The binding posts are well isolated from the aluminum. The nylon (I think) spacers and washers shipped with the Cardas binding posts are properly seated in the holes in the rear plate.

Darqueknight, I have installed Larry's rings, but I didn't do the tl upgrade because somebody (I don't remember who) on the Forum said in one thread that it was not a good idea to start swapping out the inductors to do the tl upgrade. Does that particular upgrade -- to the RD0198s -- make a big difference?

I read your write-up about your upgraded internal wiring, and if I had or can acquire the skills to do it properly, I would likely take it on one day soon. Right now, however, I have to finish the upgrades on my 1Cs before I start on any new projects. Trey told me today that he expects the inductors soon, and he is going to ship out the new binding post plates he is having fabricated in a couple of weeks or so. I also have to install my 600 VA toroidal transformer in Larry's enclosure to use with the 1Cs (I'm almost finished -- Dynamatted it this evening). When I used it in a plywood box with the 1Cs for a while, even with a common ground amp (Perreaux PMF3150), it made a very big improvement in the sound.

Then, I have to get an electrician to run dedicated lines to power the Perreaux monoblocks, and I have to build new power cords for the monoblocks. I purchased Furutech 9 AWG cable from Sonicraft and Furutech Edison and IEC plugs with which to build them. I would also like to find a solution to the problem of eliminating line noise. I still haven't decided what is best for me to do.

I have a few projects to complete before I'll be ready to open up the SRSs again!

Once again, thanks to you and all the others who have helped make these improvements in my set up possible for me.
    Last edited by Moose68Bash; 01-15-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Darqueknight, I have installed Larry's rings, but I didn't do the tl upgrade because somebody (I don't remember who) on the Forum said in one thread that it was not a good idea to start swapping out the inductors to do the tl upgrade.
    It is not a good idea to swap inductors for ones with different wire gauges and DCR's (except for the 16 mH SDA inductor). It is a good idea to replace the inductors with higher quality inductors with the same wire gauge and DCR.

Upgrade-High-Frequency-Inductors-For-The-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

Upgrade-Low-Frequency-Inductors-For-the-SDA-SRS-1.2TL

Does that particular upgrade -- to the RD0198s -- make a big difference?
    Polk thought it did, hence the introduction of the SDA SRS 1.2TL and the 1.2 --> 1.2TL conversion kit. Toolfan66 can provide first-hand insight since he converted his 1.2's to 1/2TL's.

I read your write-up about your upgraded internal wiring, and if I had or can acquire the skills to do it properly, I would likely take it on one day soon. Right now, however, I have to finish the upgrades on my 1Cs before I start on any new projects. Trey told me today that he expects the inductors soon, and he is going to ship out the new binding post plates he is having fabricated in a couple of weeks or so. I also have to install my 600 VA toroidal transformer in Larry's enclosure to use with the 1Cs (I'm almost finished -- Dynamatted it this evening). When I used it in a plywood box with the 1Cs for a while, even with a common ground amp (Perreaux PMF3150), it made a very big improvement in the sound.
    Then, I have to get an electrician to run dedicated lines to power the Perreaux monoblocks, and I have to build new power cords for the monoblocks. I purchased Furutech 9 AWG cable from Sonicraft and Furutech Edison and IEC plugs with which to build them. I would also like to find a solution to the problem of eliminating line noise. I still haven't decided what is best for me to do.
    1. AC Regenerator for your preamp and source components.
    2. Passive line filter (Shunyata Hydra, PS Audio Solist, or similar) for the power amps.

Once again, thanks to you and all the others who have helped make these improvements in my set up possible for me.
    Congrats on the Dreadnought build and your sonic results.

Attachment 79666Attachment 79667

Well, we now have about 12 hours of listening time in, and this rig has truly blossomed!

We're listening to Ray Charles's "Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company." It is magnificent! The sound stage is about six feet wider on both sides and very deep -- Ray and his piano are about three feet in front of the plane of the speaker fronts and the orchestra is arrayed across the entire soundstage behind him and the individuals with whom he sings successive duets.

The instrumentals are deep and clear. The vocals are beautifully precise, clear and warm! The transients are fast and detailed. I don't know what more to say other than I hope things just keep getting better -- but I don't know where they can go from here. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride. (Current duet is with Willie Nelson singing "It Was a Very Good Year," and Willie just sang the "when I was 35" segment!) Beautiful.

Close my eyes and it sounds like they're all in the room with me.

Trey, DarqueKnight, Toolfan66, nspindel, drumminman and all those who helped me along the way with these mods, a mighty big thanks!
    Now we're talkin'! Ah, the difference a little break-in can make. I see we have another believer. Still amazes me how many people argue that break-in is nonsense.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

There were small, but easily heard, improvements with the xStream cables. I did listening tests with an xStream cable first on the right and then on the left, then on both sides. Quantitatively there was a little more detail, moreso at the sides of the sound stage. Spatially there was a little more image height overall and a little more depth at the sides of the sound stage.
    And we lost another one to the cable companies..

Click image for larger version

Name:	facepalm-captain-picard.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	79684
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by parnold View Post
    If I were going to be lost, I would much rather it be to an audio cable company than to a casino, recreational drug dealer, cigarette company, or diamond dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by parnold View Post

Attachment 79684
    And we found another one. A newbie to debate cables. Great....

Raife, as long as you're more lost than me I am ok with it, your blazing the trail for me ....

LOL, nothing like a troll
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

And we found another one. A newbie to debate cables.....
    ...with the typical lack of knowedge about electrical noise, dielectric effects and conductor quality and how they affect the spatial properties of stereophonic music.

...with the typical lack of knowedge about electrical noise, dielectric effects and conductor quality and how they affect the spatial properties of stereophonic music.
    Agreed.

If I were going to be lost, I would much rather it be to an audio cable company than to a casino, recreational drug dealer, cigarette company, or diamond dealer.
    This is a sentiment I agree with

And we found another one. A newbie to debate cables. Great....
    This is one that needs some re-evaluation. Have you ever tried blind testing cables? Although there may be some minor differences people tell you such as

electrical noise, dielectric effects and conductor quality and how they affect the spatial properties of stereophonic music.
    Which cable companies want you to believe in will make an audible difference, its a old trick thats been tested many times over which shows it's just a subjective effect.

Don't get me wrong guys I love the sound of my Polks just as much as you guys do, yet cables should be the last thing on everyone's mind when upgrading their Polks to make an audible difference. They do look cool though, I'll give them that.

Thread Information