Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I just ordered my enclosure. This is what they sent me:

qty. 1 of 20-12125PM no vent holes $95.00 with clear anodized handles, no vent holes, we will first put the gold alodine inside and black painted outside only to make it EMI Shielded.

So I guess the gold alodine is the shielding agent?

I bought the 5" just in case Raife finds a new transformer in the future that is larger and then I'll be able to upgrade ;)

I ordered it UPS ground since they are only 16 miles away.
    Last edited by Lasareath; 01-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Ok, I am a bit confused by the AI-1. A pin-blade SDA interface is only one conductor, it's only the pin that is live. When I modded my SDA's, I used a single Cardas binding post for the SDA connection, and use a custom cable that just connects the single binding post on the left and right speaker. But the AI-1 looks like it needs two connections on each speaker. Where does the second connection attach to?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

It just goes to the negitive binding post. I just use a spade as my speaker cables have bananas..

I will try and post a pic tonight as I modded mine with a binding post as well.

But the stock AI-1 from Polk is a pin-blade connection. So how did that work? I'm trying to remember the pin-blade connection before I modded my speakers. Was the blade shorted to the negative binding post?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    But the stock AI-1 from Polk is a pin-blade connection. So how did that work? I'm trying to remember the pin-blade connection before I modded my speakers. Was the blade shorted to the negative binding post?
    When the plain cable is used, only one conductor is needed. Current and voltage transfer DIRECTLY from speaker to speaker.

When the AI-1 is used, current and voltage transfer through the transformer; the windings of the transformer each need a path to ground--which is the - binding post. So the AI-1 uses BOTH pin and blade while the plain cable doesn't.

Right, but in that case for the original Polk AI-1 to have worked, without connecting a conductor directly to the negative binding post, then internally the blade must have been shorted to the negative inside the cabinet I'm assuming?

Member Sales Rating: (37)

You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers (SDA 2B's) or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

1987 Blade/Blade 2B's and 1987/1988 Pin/Blade 2B's can easily be grounded so the AI-1 works. 1989 Pin/Blade 2B's came with the blade grounded right from the factory.

Post #10 here gives the serial numbers of 2B's that don't need any modification . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...A1-I-questions
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 01-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

CORRECT!!!! On the insde of the binding post cup there is a little white wire that connects the blade to the negitive binding post.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

1987 Blade/Blade 2B's and 1987/1988 Pin/Blade 2B's can easily be grounded so the AI-1 works. 1989 Pin/Blade 2B's came with the blade grounded right from the factory.

Greg is correct here. But you have the pin/blade so that is a plus if you have the single crossover board then you should be golden but non the less check your serial #'s. There is a list here somewhere for using the AI-1, I think it might be in the vintage speaker section as well as a sticky..

I've got 1C's, and I'll be doing up a set of CRS+'s soon enough.

Long story short, inside the cabinet if the blade terminal is shorted to the negative binding post, it's AI-1 compatible, true?

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers (SDA 2B's) or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

Post #10 here gives the serial numbers of 2B's that don't need any modification . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...A1-I-questions
    Post #17 here shows an "external" modification for an AI-1 you don't want to go inside of ungrouded large blade 2B cabinets and connect the large blade connection to ground . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...DA-2B&p=971932
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

To be clear, it is the WIDE blade on SDA-2B blade/blade models (and of course wide is the only blade on pin/blade models) that is the ground leg.

SDA-2B serial numbers BELOW 14115 for the LEFT channel, and BELOW 14124 for the RIGHT channel shipped from the factory with the blade NOT CONNECTED to ground.

You need to manually connect the wide blade to ground for the SDA drivers to be energized with an AI-1 in place in those lower serial number cabinets.

Also noteworthy is that factory polyswitches in the lower serial numbers were RDE050A .5 ohm, and then Polk switched to RDE090A .22 ohm polyswitches in the models where the blade was grounded. Coincidence or important? I don't know, but my belief is the ground leg of the interconnect was being accounted for.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 01-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Nice! Thanks.

Ok, serial numbers verified on the 1C's and CRS+'s, I'm all set. Thanks for posting that.

FYI, note of interest - When I get around to putting this together, I'm actually going to be using this with my Krell, which is a common ground amp. DK and I messaged about this quite a while back, and he seemed to thing that using the AI-1 could be beneficial even with a common ground amp. We'll see...

I ordered my enclosure from par-metal on 12/21. It was just shipped out yesterday. Two weeks exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RickTfromAZ View Post
    I ordered my enclosure from par-metal on 12/21. It was just shipped out yesterday. Two weeks exactly.
    Thanks Rick for that update. Jin told me a week. I guess we'll see.

Sal
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Ok, serial numbers verified on the 1C's and CRS+'s, I'm all set. Thanks for posting that.

FYI, note of interest - When I get around to putting this together, I'm actually going to be using this with my Krell, which is a common ground amp. DK and I messaged about this quite a while back, and he seemed to thing that using the AI-1 could be beneficial even with a common ground amp. We'll see...
    I've thought about doing this too w/ my common ground amp. Interested in your observations when you get it finished and installed.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Building your own AI-1 makes a world of difference in sonic sound IMO, let alone it's a fun and easy project to build. I also believe building your own SDA cable with quality wire is the only way to go as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    Building your own AI-1 makes a world of difference in sonic sound IMO, let alone it's a fun and easy project to build. I also believe building your own SDA cable with quality wire is the only way to go as well..
    My Transformer shipped today
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    I've thought about doing this too w/ my common ground amp. Interested in your observations when you get it finished and installed.
    Technically my Aragon 8008bb is common ground, but the impedence is about 20.5 ohms and is so high on the binding posts that it required me to use an AI-1. Otherwise I get the Aragon goes in and out of protection mode. Not exactly the same as using it with a common ground amp that does not have this problem, but I can say the AI-1 sounded infinitely better than strapping the negative binding posts. The soundstage, tone and even (by ear) dB level increased by using the AI-1 rather than strapping the amp.

Greg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Technically my Aragon 8008bb is common ground, but the impedence is about 20.5 ohms and is so high on the binding posts that it required me to use an AI-1. Otherwise I get the Aragon goes in and out of protection mode. Not exactly the same as using it with a common ground amp that does not have this problem, but I can say the AI-1 sounded infinitely better than strapping the negative binding posts. The soundstage, tone and even (by ear) dB level increased by using the AI-1 rather than strapping the amp.

Greg
    I'm jealous. I can't use the AI-1 with my 1Bs, so I've jumpered my 8008BB...but then I never had it go into protection mode without the jumper, either. Just sounded terrible (distorted in the midrange) at any volume level--but no popping, shut-down, stray hums, etc.

If it sounds better with the AI-1 rather than a jumper wire...I don't understand why. I'm very curious.

I just got my Avel Lindberg transformer. Raife, when I mount it in my enclosure should I install a grommet or a round block of wood in the center so that it does not move?

Here are some pics of the unit:

Thanks, Sal

Member Sales Rating: (3)

If you are going to orient the case resting on its bottom, the retaining bolt, top plate and rubber pads are adequate. If you are going to orient the case resting on its side, then a center piece or some external brace similar to what is shown in post #33 of this thread would be a good idea.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Delivered in 6 days! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    I just ordered my enclosure. This is what they sent me:

qty. 1 of 20-12125PM no vent holes $95.00 with clear anodized handles, no vent holes, we will first put the gold alodine inside and black painted outside only to make it EMI Shielded.

So I guess the gold alodine is the shielding agent?

I bought the 5" just in case Raife finds a new transformer in the future that is larger and then I'll be able to upgrade ;)

I ordered it UPS ground since they are only 16 miles away.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I bought a used AI-1 someone had built here at CP a couple of years ago. At the time, I thought about buying a used Aragon 8008BB amp because I had heard a lot of good things about them. Doing more research on the amp,I contacted Rick Santiago over at Indy Audio Labs to find out if theAragon amp was common ground and could be used with my Polk SDA/SRS 2's.Got the same info headrott mentioned above so I decided not to buy an Aragon. Went with a Parasound 1200 mkII ,which is definitely a common ground amp:) Now I'm curious about trying the used AI-1 with the Parasound to see if it sounds any better than the stock interconnect.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

This is a solution to house the Avel transformer I came up with in mid 2008 to match my SDA2BTL's. I painted my 2B's end caps black so I made this black oak box to house the transformer. In early 2009 I cut some scrap 20 oz roofing copper to shield the transformer after the potato thread of the time. Since then it has basically been out of site out of mind for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG‎
Views:	63
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	64769   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG‎
Views:	71
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	64770   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG‎
Views:	62
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	64771  
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Replacing the stock interconnect with binding posts and a heavy guage speakerwire (say 12 guage or higher) with spades will expand the soundstage over and beyond the stock interconnect. I hope to receive my AI case soon to start building the dreadnought and take the soundstage even further.

Make sure to use quality speakerwire to get the best results.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.

Thread Information