Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default Fire up the BBQ.....woo hoo

I must be nuts (and a little buzzed)...28 deg outside with a wind chill of around 20 and I'm out on the deck grilling a huge chicken breast at 9PM. The freakin' BBQ cover was frozen stiff...ha ha. I took it off and it's just sitting there like a tent :^ )
    Anyone got any good cold weather BBQ'ing stories?

HT
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7/ JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Geez man, a BBQ thread going untouched ?

Aside from the strange looks from my neighbors, freezing your butt off, no good stories just good food. I really like cooking with wood, so I'm researching pizza ovens/ fire pits with cooking grates. Pizza ovens are so pricey though. Trying to figure out a fire pit with cooking grate but then some kind of cover to go over it to make pizza. I can make the fire pit myself, get the grate, but the hood part is the problem.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

We use ours year-round in Northern New England...
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (6)

BBQ now you're making me hungry..... Good for you BBQ is good anytime IMHO

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hah my family and I used to BBQ in the middle of winter in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada eh, -35C and there we were using the charcoal BBQ for steaks and burgers in February...yeah nuts but damn great dinners! My family still lives there and does that. I moved to the west coast so the climate is more like Seattle up here, easier go of it in the winter for BBQ time.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II
    Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Transparent Audio Music Wave Biwire cables > Mains
    Canare 4S11 >Center
    Audioquest Evergreens on most of the analog connections
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Piano Black TT
    Parasound Zphono Phono Preamp
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    We use ours year-round in Northern New England...
    same here our stove is used for canned veggies and pizza...

Any you guys using an outdoor wood stove ?

well Tony I use Charcoal or my gas grill depending on mood and meat. Well I will confess that I'm in the garage with gas and outside with charcoal

Wood beats both imho. Ever have a steak cooked over burning hot cherry wood ? To die for guys. I like flat wood cooked pizza, done in 3 minutes. Little sauce, goat cheese, arugula.....you'll cream your pants....I kid you not.

I'll find a way to incorporate a wood stove somehow, thought maybe someone had some insights to this endeavor. I know a lot of DIY kits are out there, but even those can get pricey.

Oh...and any of you dudes in the Chicago area that have a Mariano's grocery store close by....go get a wood fired pizza made to order on the spot and eat it right away. 6 bucks....and fantastic. Don't wait until you get home, they cool quick and it won't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Wood beats both imho. Ever have a steak cooked over burning hot cherry wood ?
    yes I have a large stack of split Cherry I use in the summer for brisket, ribs and chicken. But Tony I'm not using it in the winter time as 1. I won't keep it in the garage and 2. kind of deep in the snow right now. I also use mesquite also especially this time of year burns very hot and last a long time. I mix it in with the charcoal. yes I've used a lot of different woods. Oak, Maple, Apple and walnut.

I buy a big bag of mesquite at Sams club with my charcoal.

Our new house has a fairly large overhang on the deck, so there is a nice spot that doesn't collect snow where we will grill out year round. I'll be honest, however, this winter has been ass cold, so not as much so far. But spring is right around the corner :)
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Oppo BDP-105; Amps: Anthem Integrated 225; PS Audio GCPH Speakers: Polk - LSi15's (sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; B&K Reference 200.2; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Good man, you got your BBQ on. I'm also very intrigued by the Hawaiian way of cooking in a pit, completely buried in the ground. Never could understand that as no air means no fire. Just the ground to hold the heat once covered.

Back to wood, caveman style...I dig it. Apple and Cherry are my favs to cook with. Nobody doing outdoor wood stoves here ? C'mon you southern Polkies, you guys burn everything....cook anything.....eat anything....year round.

In MA, I used to shovel my way out to the Weber on our deck.

012111 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

-- photo above from 1/21/2011 :-)

At the new house, I am cheatin' and keepin' it in the garage - I just wheel it out onto the apron outside the garage for grilling. It works for me.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    In MA, I used to shovel my way out to the Weber on our deck.

012111 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

-- photo above from 1/21/2011 :-)

At the new house, I am cheatin' and keepin' it in the garage - I just wheel it out onto the apron outside the garage for grilling. It works for me.
    Ice Pudding and BBQ Ice Cone
    Last edited by megasat16; 02-07-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

That was the special Conehead Edition.
    all the best,
    mrh

I'm in Iowa and I have a weber natural gas grill on my screened in porch and usually BBQ until it gets down to zero degrees. Below zero is where I draw the line.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

You may not be able to walk on my sidewalk or get into my driveway due to the snow, but rest assured there is a clear path from the door to the grill.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (6)

We keep ours in the garage, so we can roll it out and use it anytime of the year. But this winter has been too cold. -6 f when I got up this morning, and we haven't had a high above the teens since mid December. Usually have a day in the 30's at least every couple of weeks.

If I want BBQ I'll go out to eat.

Growing up in northern Minnesota we used to go out to the fish house on Friday nights after school and stay out on the lake until Sunday evening we would load up the snowmobile trailer with our gear a charcoal grill we brought a cast iron pan for eggs and bacon in the morning on the grill, venison steaks on the grill, and tombstone pizzas.

I can tell you nothing tastes better than a tombstone pizza cooked on a grill, heck we were in our late teens we would wash all the food down with Schlitz Malt Liquors, Special Exports, or Rihnelanders or even the occasional Blatz Creme Ales. Grilling out in the winter at the Ice House nothing better.

I live in Wisconsin and have never let the weather stop me from enjoying my grilling and BBQ cooking.

February

July

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I agree with you Hofy,

Nothing can stop me from grilling.

I just wrapped up some nice 2" rib-eye steaks.
    Attached Images  
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

Member Sales Rating: (5)

One more shot.
    Attached Images  
    Re-electing our politicians would be like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders

I fired up the grill this past Thanksgiving, it was about 28 degrees.

I forgot to move it and old man winder turned it into a conehead when the big storm came through. It was frozen to the ground when I tried to move it. I had to shovel it out. LOL! Who knows, I might fire it up again soon. Maybe it will help deal with cabin fever from all of this DAMN show and cold air!
    Last edited by WLDock; 02-08-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

I wheel my BGE out into the driveway from garage and grill every weekend at least once. Love my grill! Peace

and her i sit in 65 degree weather, lol the coldest its been here is around 30, and people still grill, but too many people here are thin skinned pansies, and are bundled up for an ice age if it drops below 55
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

BBQ all year round! Never a bad time for it

Member Sales Rating: (16)

San Diego is blessed with good weather (but don't feel like it is Paradise, we have fires, earthquakes, and are in a bad drought)....so I've got a brisket going on today.

Got it cut and trimmed by my specialty butcher, its been rubbed and injected - ready for some low and slow smoke!

Before:

After - in about 9 hours!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Damn you all... now I want to grill out today...

bastages
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by erik tracy View Post
    san diego is blessed with good weather (but don't feel like it is paradise, we have fires, earthquakes, and are in a bad drought)....so i've got a brisket going on today.

Got it cut and trimmed by my specialty butcher, its been rubbed and injected - ready for some low and slow smoke!

Before:

after - in about 9 hours!
    well????
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Thread Information