Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    But what's the verdict on the Blu Ray release though? I've heard the Blu transfer is not that great. It's on the 'Silver' list over on the AVSForum Blu rankings page.

For those of you who don't own it yet and have a Blu Ray player, there is no decision here - go buy it! For those like myself who already own it, I wonder if it's better enough to justify the Blu Ray purchase.

Anyone here have any thoughts on that?
    I wasn't that impressed with the picture quality of the BD release.. but the audio blow's away the standard def release without a doubt. so for me it was worth buying.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The HD DVD import is supposed to have a better picture. It's expensive, but I think I'm just gonna hold out for taht release. I don't have a receiver to take advantage of the Blu Ray better audio anyway, so that alone isn't worth the extra money...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    The HD DVD import is supposed to have a better picture. It's expensive, but I think I'm just gonna hold out for taht release. I don't have a receiver to take advantage of the Blu Ray better audio anyway, so that alone isn't worth the extra money...
    Good luck, and if you do find one, atleasts the few that I've seen, the price tends to be from $150 and up, mostly up. $40 for BoB on BD is an absolute steal. Besides, unless you looking at the two version side by side on pause I doubt you would even notice the better PQ of the HD DVD release, and this is coming from some one who was and HD DVD fan boy. Just get the BD version and save your self the money and hassle of trying to import one or snipe one off e-bay.

Here the link to the DVD vs Cable vs HD DVD vs BD comparison thread over at AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1085043

I do wish they would have used regular BD cases instead of the tin case, the tin case is nice but it a real pain try to maneuver the the accordion stack trying to find the right disc.
    Last edited by millerman 3732; 12-26-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Casey

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

PQ is all over the board with this. There's some great, detailed scenes and then some really grainy soft scenes, it bounces all over the place. I watched Part 1 & 2 last night. The SQ is fantastic.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Ron - that is the blu-ray version you are talking about or the SD version?
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Ron don't do SD anymo.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I noticed the PQ in the Blu version to be not much better over the standard DVD version... where the SD version can't compete is the sound. I only own the BD version.. never owned, just always rented from Netflix the SD version.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by ND13 View Post
    Ron don't do SD anymo.
    Was wondering based on the fact that he ordered it on Blu christmas day and it would be really quick for him to have it in his hands 3 days later. (considering today is a Sunday)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Quote Originally Posted by ND13 View Post
    Ron don't do SD anymo.
    True dat homey. :)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I own the standard and BR versions of this. At first, I wondered if the BR would be a big enough step up in picture quality and sound to warrant the purchase. When I got home and played the Caretan episode (episode 3) back to back from the standard to the BR versions, I could tell a nice improvement in picture quality and a huge difference in sound quality with the BR version. I payed $64 at the time from a local Target and still thought the difference in the standard and BR was worth the purchase of the BR. Giving some of the prices you can pick the BR version up now, to me it's a no brainer. BUY IT!

Thread Information