Greetings my fellow Polk crazies!
It's been a while since a tweaked my SRS 2.3's. Please not that I don't have the TL's.
I have rebuild the crossovers, replaced the tweeters, upgraded my electronics, cables and wires. Spending money and having a blast. My rig has never sounded better. However, I have been compelled to try some of the "second generation" tweaks that Raife, Ben and others have be using. So, I decided to embark on a number of tweaks this winter/
1. Upgrade the interconnect cable, I have done this, but I can easily do better with some quality wire. The wore and connectors are already in the house.
2. I think I need to work on the cabinet bracing. I have searched the Forums without much success. Maybe someone who has done this mod or tweak would like to chime in with some sketches or photo's. I would like to cross brass side to side and front to back. The unknowns are the size, number, materials and location of braces. I figure to cut these to fit, glue with Liquid Nails and screw into place.
3. I would also like to beef up the bass brace. The cheap piece of all thread leaves a lot to be desired. I'm thinking to place a reinforcing plate inside the cabinet with a larger, internal washer tacked or screwed to a larger plate affixed to the cabinet with glue and screws. Any thoughts here?
4. The "Fun with Foam" seems like a low cost option, I'm leaning toward to foam as opposed to the Dyna mat.
5. What about sealing the cabinet with some Silicone (or other quality) caulking? Any ideas or comments?
6. What about dampening material. This subject is very confusing to me. How much? Where?
7. Has anybody put one of these mats on the bottom of the cabinet?
8. What about the finish of the interior of the cabinet itself. It's rumored that Stradivarius had a very secret formula for the varnish that gave his instruments that sound that has never been duplicated. Any thoughts here on an internal cabinet finish? Paint, varnish, shellac, stain?
9. What about shielding the inductors or crossover? There was a lot of type and claims of lower noise floor when the A1-1 or Dreadnaught transformer was isolated. Should the crossover be shielded? Could the inductor be picking up some noise?
Beyond the speakers I have plenty of quality electronics, cable, wire etc. that should satisfy the most discriminating taste. Or, it could sound like **** to you:D
Your comments, ideas, pictures, drawings, etc. are welcome.
I ask a lot of questions, thanks for humoring me.:)