Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Onkyo SR-TX606 or 706 or Pioneer 1018AH?

Thinking of getting the Rti a5 or a7 and matching it with the a6...will be getting a sub...mostly use for movies and everyday T.v watching, music here and there....What are your thoughts on the three receivers?....Thanks again for all your input.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The 606 would probably drive the speakers ok, but without pre outs I would not go that way. Now the 706 has a little more power and pre outs. Pioneer even a little more power and pre outs. All 3 pretty close in price, I think the 706 would have the edge in features, the Pioneer in power. If you have the budget cross the 606 off the list (that made it a little easier). Try and give them both a listen and let your ears tell you. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. With what's out there now I just would not buy an AVR that doesn't have pre outs. You just never know when you might decide to add an amp. Even if you don't see it happening right now.

Not to make it any harder for you but you might also want to look at Yamaha and HK's offerings in that price range.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    The 606 would probably drive the speakers ok, but without pre outs I would not go that way. Now the 706 has a little more power and pre outs. Pioneer even a little more power and pre outs. All 3 pretty close in price, I think the 706 would have the edge in features, the Pioneer in power. If you have the budget cross the 606 off the list (that made it a little easier). Try and give them both a listen and let your ears tell you. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. With what's out there now I just would not buy an AVR that doesn't have pre outs. You just never know when you might decide to add an amp. Even if you don't see it happening right now.

Not to make it any harder for you but you might also want to look at Yamaha and HK's offerings in that price range.
    Thats one of the main reasons why im hesitate on the 606 because of no pre outs...i now have the chance to get the pioneer elite 01-txh...would you get this reciver over the above mentioned or should i look at the h/k and yamaha..thanks again

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The elite 01 is a step up IMHO. It would depend on my budget and what I could get the 01 for. You might want to keep an eye on this thread. Never mind the thread I was going to link is yours. I would suggest you take mantis up on his offer to answer questions, he does this (installs custom systems) for a living IIRC and has a lot of first hand expierence with a wide range of product.

My self I would just plan an amp right from the start. Go with the Yamaha 663 or Pioneer 1018AH and then look for a good 3 or 5 ch amp. The used market could offer up some good prices on the amp, Emotiva has a good sale going on till the end of year. That's a big investment (entire system + sub) I know so it depends on budget and if you want to space some of the buys out. (that's why the pre outs are important.
    Last edited by apphd; 12-03-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Information