Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default The Magic of Microdynamics

Listened to some tunes last night and noticed that I had more music than ever before. More subtleties were apparent like a soft guitar twang in the background that wasn't there before or clarity that was once considered clamor. The only recent change in my system has been a dedicated line. My tube amps, which are surprisingly quiet anyway, now exhibit slightly less hum.

The saying goes, "The devil is in the details," but in audio, the detail is where the magic resides. In fact, it's the illusive 2% more sound that audiophiles strive to squeeze out of their systems.
    Last edited by Early B.; 12-18-2008 at 08:00 AM.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

You speak the truth my man.Music is so much more enjoyable when you can hear everything,and once you do,there is no turning back.Everything else seems so congested.I recently had to reconfigure the family room,and the wife,bless her soul,had me stick my floorstanders in a corner,along with a 60 inch sony.Needless to say,a significant drop off in SQ.Try explaining to a woman that big speakers need some room to breath and they look at you like you have 2 heads.Oh well,thats life,but a plan is in the works to rectify that.Once you hear those microdynamics,turning back is not an option.

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Excellent Early, I too found the dedicated line more than just a subtle improvement, when I went fully balanced all the way with the tube gear from pre to amps my noise floor dropped to the point that there is no audible hiss even with my ear next to the driver/ribbon or diaphram of a speaker, the impedances match, its amazing the amount of detail on a recording that is covered up by noise or congestion.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I am also uing balanced source-preamp-amp; for the first time ever I can't hear anything if I place my ear one inch from the tweeters (with no music playing, that is).

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

I'd love to do a completely balanced system, but it would require all new gear -- amp, pre, and CDP. However, the cost vs. the benefit may not be justified.

I'm currently using basic commercial outlets on the dedicated line. Anyone upgrade their outlets and get a noticeable improvement?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new lines:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post

I'm currently using basic commercial outlets on the dedicated line. Anyone upgrade their outlets and get a noticeable improvement?
    I'm sure you read Darqueknight's series on this topic, but here is a specific relevant post anyway.

IMO, its a no-brainer-esp since they can be found on the 'gon new for about $36.

Then of of course there is also DK's followup on the latest Powerport here

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

I treated myself to another lengthy listening session tonight and realized the improvements in sound are less subtle than the changes I heard yesterday. In fact, the difference, although not necessarily "night and day," is far better than expected. Actually, I didn't expect any sonic improvements as a result of a dedicated line. I had a dedicated line installed about a year ago and I recall reporting little to no change. But this time it's different. Not sure why. Maybe Ben did something special when he installed it. Anyway, in addition to more microdynamics, the sound is faster, fuller, with more liveliness on top and a bit less bass. Before today, I would have described my system as very laid back, but now it's like the winner of a wet T-shirt contest -- bouncy and bubbly. I'm diggin' it.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    ...Anyway, in addition to more microdynamics, the sound is faster, fuller, with more liveliness on top and a bit less bass. Before today, I would have described my system as very laid back, but now it's like the winner of a wet T-shirt contest -- bouncy and bubbly. I'm diggin' it.
    You really do have a way with words. ;):D
    Kinda reminds me of that other description
    ...the bass is tighter than a g-string on a fat girl..
    :D
    Last edited by mmadden28; 12-19-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I"m with you all the way. Micro dynamics, slam, prat, dynamics is what I"ve been working on for the past 7 years or so. I much prefer a dynamic presentation over smooth and warm.
    Good to hear you're enjoing your system. I think you were able to squeeze out the extra dyanmics and micro dynamics when you switched to a dedicated line which gave you a lower noise floor. I noticed that every 'fast' sounding gear I"ve come across have very an extremely low noise floor.
    Funny you mentioned that your system has less bass now. Same thing keep happening to me as my system becomes "faster" and more neutral. My 2ch system can only reach 50hz and each speaker covers 4sq feet. lol
    Now I want to try a dedicated line.
    Enjoy the tunes man!
    Last edited by organ; 12-19-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information