Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default newbie needing receiver advice

Been looking to get a home theater setup for 3 years now. I've finally got the money and been doing some research. I started looking at the tsi 400s or 500s because those have been the best I could find to demo in the oklahoma city area. After researching some more I'm convinced I want the LSi9 for my fronts and the LSiC for my center. I'll eventually add some LSi7s for the rears and a sub. We will listen to music on this system but its primary use will be movies. My living room is 16x24 but it has an odd setup so the sitting area is really just 16x14. I plan on building a new house in a couple years that will have a larger living room and be a better setup for a home theater so I want something that will work in that space too or be easy to add a little upgrade.

I need help picking out a receiver that will get the job done. I started off looking at lower end model speakers so now that I'm looking at the lsi series I'm not sure about which receivers can push them.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:
    1. Onkyo TX-NR906
    2. Denon AVR-3808CI
    3. Denon AVR-4308CI

Please give some advice on which one would probably be best for me and if I need to buy an amp too. Any advice is much appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Hey welcome to the club.:)

Got a price range for us to play with?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :) -flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable

Member Sales Rating: (1)

most AVRs will not push them to full potential. You will need AMP(s). Dont know about those AVRs listed, but I would look for HDMI 1.3, and both HD audio support. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha.....all make good AVRs. Also I would consider LSiFXs for rear surrounds.

ps. of course price is important and if you need some good video processing for SD Cable and DVDs, in which case I would get AVR that has really good upscaler
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 12-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html this matched with any one of those three receivers would be an amazing sounding home theater system to be very proud of.

thanks for the help. i'm looking to spend under $1500 for the receiver and stay under $1000 for an amp.

i'll definitely look at the LSiFXs for the rears. then when i move into a bigger place they can move to my sides.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionity View Post
    thanks for the help. i'm looking to spend under $1500 for the receiver and stay under $1000 for an amp.

i'll definitely look at the LSiFXs for the rears. then when i move into a bigger place they can move to my sides.
    Thats alot of money for AVR. Like I said, unless you want some serious video processing (like in Onkyo TX-SR876, which by the way you can get for a little over $1,000 even though MSRP is $1,800), I would spend less (maybe get a last years model for over 50% online). My Yamaha HTR-6090 that I bought on sale in BestBuy 2 years ago for only $400 works just as good and my PS3 does all bluray sound decoding, so I dont see a need to upgrade my AVR. For $1000 you can get 3 monoblocks from Outlaw Audio for fronts and center channel and run your rears from AVR. Thats how I have it. Of course you can get a 5 channel amp for only $1350 (they are on sale now)
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 12-26-2008 at 05:09 PM.

New this year TX-SR876 MSRP $1800, can buy online for $1000-1100
    Last year TX-SR875 can buy online for $650-700

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    Thats alot of money for AVR. Like I said, unless you want some serious video processing (like in Onkyo TX-SR876, which by the way you can get for a little over $1,000 even though MSRP is $1,800).......
    +1 It's up to you but I think I would swap those $$ around. <$1000 for an AVR and $1500 for an amp.
    Unless you really need the added features the AVRs in that price range offer. Usually it is:
    video processing (your needs depends on what capabilities your tv has) iPod docking, SAT radio, tons of input/output capabilities, 30 sound fields, more powerful remote, multi room capabilities etc. If you need/want them then you need to look at those AVRs. The AVRs on that rung of the latter do usually have some what better pre/pros in them and a better amp section. But you all ready plan an amp(s) for the system so why pay twice for it?

Do some research and decide what you really must have, then decide what you would want as future capabilities for the AVR. When you have that list decided on, then look at the offerings from the various manufactures with the features on your list.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

get the Yamaha 663 for $350 free shipping and take the remaining $2150 for the power.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (2)

"Get the Yamaha 663 for $350 free shipping and take the remaining $2150 for the power."

Good plan.

Or, get the Yam for $350, get an XPA-5 for power for $700, upgrade the fronts to LSi15s, and have some dough left over for nice wires.

Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    +1 It's up to you but I think I would swap those $$ around. <$1000 for an AVR and $1500 for an amp.
    Unless......
    Just noticed the thumbs down on my post. Not sure how it got there other than trying to read the forums with a 2 yr old running around. Wasn't intended and hope no offense was taken by anyone.

While I'm at it +1 for the 663 and Emo. That's what I am running (663 & LPA1) great for the price.
    Last edited by apphd; 12-27-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: update

Member Sales Rating: (3)

with a budget like that I would be looking at marantz, or even the adcom receiver if you don't want the hassle of separates. If your set on separate amplification, forget getting a receiver, get a pre/pro, and invest the extra money in amp(s).
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

Welcome to Club Polk. Get the receiver of your choice and add this...http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm and you are good to go. Outlaw Audio is also a good choice. You might think of going with a prepro/amp combo with them and skip the receiver all together.

Dude, if he is set on LSI's, amplification is mandatory.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 12-27-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I'm just saying if he was not going to go the separates route this would be better than a lot of the stuff you would find through local channels linky

Where did SOPA go?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll look into some of the prepro/amp combos. That is all new to me the only thing I'm familiar with is AVRs.

Can someone explain the main difference and why the prepro/amp combo might be better for me?

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Welcome to Club Polk. Get the receiver of your choice and add this...http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm and you are good to go. Outlaw Audio is also a good choice. You might think of going with a prepro/amp combo with them and skip the receiver all together.

Dude, if he is set on LSI's, amplification is mandatory.
    Or you could just buy the right AVR in the first place ala Rotel, Adcom or B&K. OR maybe buy the right Pre/Pro/Amp combination since you mentioned Emotiva.

You don't always need seperate amplification for the LSi series.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 12-28-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Try running the LSis off a Pioneer SC05 or SC07. There are some recent reviews of the new Elites doing an excellent job and maintaining a 4ohm load at reference without problem. The new ICEamps in the Elites sound phenomonal. And the SC-05/07 are both well within your budget.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Sherardp - Where were those reviews? That would be a great link.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Or you could just buy the right AVR in the first place ala Rotel, Adcom or B&K. OR maybe buy the right Pre/Pro/Amp combination since you mentioned Emotiva.

You don't always need seperate amplification for the LSi series.

Thank you. I have not heard the ADCOM receivers, but if their other gear is any indication of what they would be like, It wouldn't be a bad place to start. Also I have never heard a Marantz receiver I did not like:)
    Last edited by dudeinaroom; 12-28-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Where did SOPA go?

Basically everything is just what it's called separate. The power is in one box and the processing/volume control is in another. A good many people including me feels that this offers superior sound.

Receivers are everything all in one box for convenience sake, but they have to compromise on something. What they compromise on is power. No receiver will give the kind of power that a separate amplifier will give you.

And what I have found is that the more power you can give to your speakers the better they will sound. This is especially true of the LSI series.

Naturally that power is not cheap. I always recommend 200wpc @8ohms in amplification. This seems to be the point where just about everyone can hear a clear night & day difference, and this much can drive almost any speaker to its full potential. (which should be the whole point of the excercise)

Right now if you want to buy new Emotiva is having a hard to beat sale. Otherwise you might consider getting a used amp from Audiogon where you will get more bang for your buck.

Good choices are Parasound, Rotel, Nad, Adcom, B & K, Sunfire.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll look into some of the prepro/amp combos. That is all new to me the only thing I'm familiar with is AVRs.

Can someone explain the main difference and why the prepro/amp combo might be better for me?
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Sherardp - Where were those reviews? That would be a great link.
    Heres a review from A-holics

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r.../pioneer-sc-07

SC-07/05 supposedly did pretty well with an actual 4ohm load.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecei...ver/index.html

Thank you.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

The A-holics review states this as a con:

"Design compromises of ICE amplifier may cause difficulties driving 4 ohm speaker loads."

Maybe I missed it somewhere where it said it can run a 4ohm load without difficulty?

BTW, I have an 07 in route... However, I won't be using the amp section anyway. How do you like the new elites, I hope they are better than the older ones, my current 74 has issues...

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

Actually, the review stated the SC-07 had difficulty driving four ohm loads, and would shut down.

Driving 4-ohm loads was an entirely different story. The SC-07 simply fell apart when running full bandwidth (20Hz to 20kHz) continuous power measurements. As I tested at frequencies above 5kHz with only 1 channel driven, the internal cooling fan would instantly come on right before the receiver would go into gross distortion and shut down at levels above 100 watts. With two-channels driven, I was able to squeeze out a clean 150wpc at less than 0.5% THD. Anything higher would again run the amps into gross distortion and shut off the receiver. I was a bit perplexed in how the receiver managed to better cope with 2 channels driven over 1 and could only surmise that it had something to do with symmetrical load balancing on the power supply. How this receiver was awarded the THX Ultra2 rating was a bit perplexing to me.

while we're on the subject? any comments on a 200 Watt AVR to avoid buying a amp? Thanx

Member Sales Rating: (8)

After reading all the user reviews on AVS, I'm having a hard time in actually trying to figure out A-holics. There are several users on AVS who are running 4ohm speaks with these AVR's and having no issues. Seems to me that A-holics will praise anything or anyone who is a sponser, and not so much the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    After reading all the user reviews on AVS, I'm having a hard time in actually trying to figure out A-holics. There are several users on AVS who are running 4ohm speaks with these AVR's and having no issues. Seems to me that A-holics will praise anything or anyone who is a sponser, and not so much the latter.
    Exactly.............B..I.N.G.O

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    Actually, the review stated the SC-07 had difficulty driving four ohm loads, and would shut down.
    When using actual speaker load A-holics noted the SC07 did fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    The A-holics review states this as a con:

"Design compromises of ICE amplifier may cause difficulties driving 4 ohm speaker loads."

Maybe I missed it somewhere where it said it can run a 4ohm load without difficulty?

BTW, I have an 07 in route... However, I won't be using the amp section anyway. How do you like the new elites, I hope they are better than the older ones, my current 74 has issues...
    Zero issues here as I love mine(SC-07), like you I am using external amps but Im sure it could drive my Rti series speakers without issues. Its very stellar performer, I would buy another if I had to do it over again.

If you are talking about a Sunfire AVR, yeah That would probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny42 View Post
    while we're on the subject? any comments on a 200 Watt AVR to avoid buying a amp? Thanx

Thread Information