Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Power Plant Premier For Bedroom System

Introduction

I was curious about how a PS Audio Power Plant Premier would work in my master bedroom A/V system. Similar curiosity lead to the purchase of two more PPP's after purchasing one for my two channel system. I borrowed one of the PPP's from my home theater system for this evaluation. I really had no intention of buying a fourth PPP, particularly for a bedroom system whose dismantling stays in the back of my mind. However, the improvement provided Such Good Sound...and Picture that the prospect of going back was very unappealing. I placed an order for another PPP after only a half hour of listening and five minutes of viewing. I was pleased that the limited edition black finish and blue light display blended in with the rest of the system.

Figure 1. The PPP took the place of a seldom used tuner.

Sound And Picture Improvements

Figure 2. The PPP totally refined the quality of bass produced by the Polk MicroPro
    4000 subwoofer.

The power amp and subwoofer breathed a huge sigh of relief after they were connected to the PPP. I also replaced the Sony preamp/processor's captive 18 AWG power cord with a 10 AWG Signal Cable MagicPower cord. To summarize, the improvements were:

1. Lower noise floor (apparently higher sound level).
    2. Bass from the subwoofer was more tactile, heavy, detailed, and articulate with more clean rumble and growl.
    3. Bass from the MG12 planar speakers sounded an octave lower.
    4. More clarity overall.
    5. More detail overall.
    6. Clearer audio from TV speakers.
    7. Clearer, sharper TV picture.
    8. More three-dimensional sound stage.

The plasma screen ran at the same temperature with the PPP. The screen of the plasma TV in the HT system runs 7 degrees cooler with the PPP.

Prior to this evaluation, I had not done any measurements of the power quality going to the MBR A/V system. I never really cared. Measurements revealed that merely turning on the audio components caused the wall voltage to drop from 121 volts to 119 volts. Turning on the TV caused the wall voltage to drop to 113 volts and the peaks of the power wave form would flatten...with a commensurate drop in sound quality. Bass heavy movie effects would cause the voltage to momentarily dip further. It never sounded or looked bad, it's just that the PPP showed me what I was missing. The PPP maintained a constant 121 volts with no sine wave deformation regardless of program level or content. The thought of dismantling the MBR A/V system has been dismantled...for now.

Figure 3. Master Yoda approves.

Addendum - PPP Trial For Home Theater Subwoofer

The bass beast in the home theater system was jealous and wanted a PPP.

I gave the SVS PB12 Ultra/2 subwoofer a little taste of regenerated AC. I heard increased bass clarity and definition with both music and movie low frequency effects. The improvement was not as significant as with the MicroPro 4000, but it was very noticeable on music and moderately noticeable on movies. However, even if the difference had been night and day, placement of the PPP in a location where it would be reasonably close to the sub, yet reasonably isolated from vibrations, would have proved challenging. The PB12 Ultra/2 generates too much shake, rattle, rumble, and roll to place a sensitive electronic component anywhere near it.

During explosions and other movie segments with heavy low frequency content, the wall voltage would momentarily sag by one volt and the sine wave form peaks would momentarily flatten a bit. On the same segments with the PPP, the PPP's output would momentarily increase by one volt and the sine wave peaks would momentarily increase in amplitude.

Based on the modest improvement for movies plus the placement issues, I really could not justify a PPP for the HT subwoofer. Maybe in the next house.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (0)

A little off topic but how much did you pay and where did you get your stand in the pictures?
    58" Samsung Plasma (on wall)(calibrated)
    LSi15's front (modded xo's)
    LSic center
    LSiFX's sides
    LSi7's rears
    Sunfire Sig. 600 amp for 15's
    Sunfire Sig. Cinema for C,S&R
    Sony ES 3000 pre/pro
    SVS 2039 PC Plus sub 12.3 (16hz tune)
    PS3
    Wii
    Signal and Audioquest ic's
    12 awg monster speaker-cable (bi-wired)
    Belkin PF60 power conditioner
    Monster power conditioner for sub

The Furnitech FT76RL Audio Credenza was ordered from www.racksandstands.com in January of 2007. It has since been discontinued. MSRP was $1335, but I got a much better price because it was on closeout.:)
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Magnapan 1.6's??? We carry them and I'm still learning about them. I did a long demo on friday with a customer and they performed very well. We had to drive the hell out of them to get them to go but once they went, it was on. Nice speakers . lacked bottom end. They need the sub.

I also like your tv stand. Nice looking.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Those are MG12's, the model just below the 1.6.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice setup DK, very impressive for the bedroom rig. Cool plants too( not being sarcastic).
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (17)

The PPP is on the top of my "to get" list.

This is a Great Video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL1Wjeq7eHY
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information