Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Need helping finding a receiver for Lsi7s

Hi all,

I need some help finding a suitable receiver for a pair of Lsi7s I purchased for $300. I went to an electronics store nearby and the guy helping me out insisted that the Onkyo TX-8555 Stereo Receiver would provide enough juice for my pair of Lsi7s. Can anyone help confirm or deny that / give me a suggestion for an alternate receiver that won't be too expensive and will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Welcome to Club Polk!

My favorite: NAD and h/k. NAD products deliver hugely dynamic sound IMO, which belies their very modest ratings usually, and their products are rated at 4 and even 2 ohms. Harman/kardon is another favorite if you get their stereo receivers (their 5.1 and 7.1 products are not rated for 4 ohms). For h/k, you can usually find excellent pricing on amazon.com.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers
    http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...C&prod=HK+3490

Thanks for the advice. Would you say those are definitely better than the onkyo?

Which one of the below do you guys think is the best for a pair of Lsi7s?

Onkyo 8555, Harmon Kardon 3490, NAD 720BEE

NAD: http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...tereo-Receiver
    Onkyo: http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    HK: http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...3490&sType=PCS

Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The HK's can be had for insanely low prices, and will be a good match with LSi's.

Member Sales Rating: (44)

I'm going to recommend the HK3490.

I just sold one here on the FM.

I was using it power a pair of LSi9's. And it did a damn good job.... I would imagine it would be more than enough for 7's.

Plus Amazon is a authorized dealer and you can get them for $299.99 with free shipping. Performance to price ration is amazing IMO.

Nick
    Last edited by nikolas812; 01-03-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by dylin88 View Post
    Which one of the below do you guys think is the best for a pair of Lsi7s?

Onkyo 8555, Harmon Kardon 3490, NAD 720BEE

NAD: http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...tereo-Receiver
    Onkyo: http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    HK: http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...3490&sType=PCS

Thanks
    The Oink is not rated for 4 ohms AFIK, so I would forget it. Either of the other two will do a great job, but at $100 extra for the NAD, I would be very tempted to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by dylin88 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Would you say those are definitely better than the onkyo?
    With Onkyo you need to look at either the TX-SR706, 806, 876, or 906 for 4 ohm rating. Amazon has the TX-SR706 7.1 channel AVR on for $549.95.
    The specs show its 4 ohm rating.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

Amazon also has the Harman Kardon HK 3490 2 x 120W Stereo Receiver on for $299.00.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

AudioAdvisor did have the NAD C720BEE receiver for $399. I have that receiver, and I have run my LSi7's and 9's with it. As far as SQ, I would rate it as significantly better than any H/K receiver I have ever listened to.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome Xcapri. The only thing the Onkyo does is limit the amount of power the will be put out with its little switch. Thereby further starving the LSI's of the power they truly need to sound their best.

I swear the LSI's should come with a label saying that unless you are willing to spend the money for ample amplification....buy the RTIa series!

The increase of newbies coming on KNOWING that they need more power and hoping to get told on here that "no you don't need to cough up more money" has been mind numbing.

If you're not willing to spend what's needed to make the LSI's sound their best why buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    With Onkyo you need to look at either the TX-SR706, 806, 876, or 906 for 4 ohm rating. Amazon has the TX-SR706 7.1 channel AVR on for $549.95.
    The specs show its 4 ohm rating.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

Amazon also has the Harman Kardon HK 3490 2 x 120W Stereo Receiver on for $299.00.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Kathy I have to agree with you completely. I read these posts and just shake my head.

I think what Polk should do is double the price of the LSI line, thereby eliminating a lot of unhappy and disappointed customers. The LSI will gain stature since the people willing buy them have the funds to operate them correctly.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Would you guys and gals just give it a rest. He came in here to ask if he is ok with the Onkyo or if he should consider something else. He was given two choices that are reasonably priced and will do a great job with LSi7's.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Welcome Xcapri. The only thing the Onkyo does is limit the amount of power the will be put out with its little switch. Thereby further starving the LSi's of the power they truly need to sound their best.

I swear the LSi's should come with a label saying that unless you are willing to spend the money for ample amplification....buy the RTiA series!

The increase of newbies coming on KNOWING that they need more power and hoping to get told on here that "no you don't need to cough up more money" has been mind numbing.

If you're not willing to spend what's needed to make the LSi's sound their best why buy them?
    Its a chicken or egg thing sometimes. Many of us live on budgets and some of us acquire speakers and other equpment over time and not all at once.

You don't have to convince me concerning power for the LSi series. I went from Pioneer 1014TX to 1014TX biamp (it actually cured an overload shutdown issue I had) to Emotiva LPA1 to XPA5 for my LSi's in the livingroom. I have my other set of LSi's connected directly to the Pioneer 1018 in the master bedroom where I run it at less volume (and don't have LSi25's). I will eventually move the LPA1 there too.

The more power you can provide to the LSi's the better they sound I agree, but there is a limit to that too. To me, the LSi speakers powered off my 1018 still sound better than RTi's powered off it.

Dylin88 was interested in an Onkyo receiver and I wanted to point out that Onkyo rates their 706 and higher receivers for 4 ohm loads which something that other manufacturers don't always do. Those receivers should be able to power the LSi7's so that they will sound good.

From some of the comments, I sense an anti-Onkyo opinion for some reason. They do get warm, I'll grant you that, but tell me are you disagreeing with the manufacturer's published specs concerning their 4 ohm and THX Select 2 or Ultra 2 ratings? Those ratings imply that they are capable of powering Polk Audio LSi7's.

The 706 series or higher also have pre outs (as is shown in the specs), so in the future he can add an external amp like most of us seem to do - especially after reading the numerous forums which advocate more power to the LSi's. The 706 series and higher are also 7.1 multchannel vs stereo of the HK 3490 or the NAD C720BEE which provides more listening options.

For the heck of it, I tested a pair of LSi7's on a lesser Onkyo 506 and they sounded better than the pair of KEF 2001's that were previously connected. Now I wouldn't recommend leaving this as a permanent setup, but I wanted to listen to the result and confirm how nice those LSi's sound!
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-04-2009 at 06:08 PM.

The LSi series does need good amplification to sound there best. What you get with higher power amplifiers is the ability to produce dynamic power reserves when the source material demands it, and even if you have a lessor quality 200 wpc or greater power amplifier, the 200 wpc's kind of guarantees it can provide the dynamic power reserves the LSi's need. Do you need 200 wpc or greater to make the LSi series sound good ........ absolutely not! What you do need is a good quality amplifer with good SQ and lots of reserve power.

I own the LSi7 and LSi9 and have played around with various amps and receivers. The LSi7's are far easier to drive than the LSi9's and the other speakers in the LSi series. If you look at the spec's on the NAD C720BEE receiver you will see that it has great dynamic power reserves in spite of its 50 wpc rating. Unless you are trying to get to very high SPL, it will drive the LSi7's very nicely and with great SQ. It will do an adequate job with the LSi9's at moderate SPL, but I would make a different recommendation for the LSi9's.

We had a gathering of the RAS with most of our members in attendance, and we were powering a set of LSi15's with various amplifiers. A couple were high wpc Carver and Sunfire, and my measly 125 wpc Marsh amp kicked the living snot out of them. Why, again it's not the wpc that is the determining factor on how well an amplifier is going to drive the LSi series, or what the resulting SQ will be.

You'll get a lot of good information on this forum, and some solid recommendations from members that have experience with the speakers and gear you are considering. Ultimately you need to go get your listen on at CP get togethers or audio stores. And it doesn't hurt to buy what you can afford and is available and go from, and learn from, there. Just drive your speakers and gear at sensible levels and no harm, no foul. Good luck!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Welcome Xcapri. The only thing the Onkyo does is limit the amount of power the will be put out with its little switch. Thereby further starving the LSI's of the power they truly need to sound their best.

I swear the LSI's should come with a label saying that unless you are willing to spend the money for ample amplification....buy the RTIa series!

If you're not willing to spend what's needed to make the LSI's sound their best why buy them?
    I'm so agree with you. Polk made a mistake when they made the Lsi's and didn't market them correctly or make sure they where powered correctly. I hated when we (tweeter) sold them with yamaha and Denon receivers. We had a few clip and had to add amps. Sucks. But it is how it is.

Shame.

On target get the NAD from above. NAD has plenty of high current and sounds really good. Not to mention you will be able to hear what you paid for. If not sell them, get Rtia series and buy whatever you want.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

In the interests of educating the rest of us, can any of the guruheadexpertologists explain how a reputable manufacturer can claim that their product will support 4 ohm speakers and has their product THX certified which means that it as the ability to generate sustained output into 4 ohm loads with low distortion, yet not be suitable to power a pair of 4 ohm rated Polk LSi7's? Something doesn't ring true here.

Is there something flawed in the manufacturer's specs or in the THX certification process that is either misleading to or misinterpreted by us lesser mortals?
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

. . . Is there something flawed in the manufacturer's specs or in the THX certification process that is either misleading to or misinterpreted by us lesser mortals?
    Yes, dynamic headroom. If output transistors are near saturation at their rated output, it's still "legal" to rate them at that output. It does not speak to sound quality at that rated output. Most of the amps Polkies use to drive their systems have power output ratings that are understated by their manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredsports View Post
    Yes, dynamic headroom. If output transistors are near saturation at their rated output, it's still "legal" to rate them at that output. It does not speak to sound quality at that rated output. Most of the amps Polkies use to drive their systems have power output ratings that are understated by their manufacturers.

I note the Dynamic Power ratings for the Onkyos with THX certification from their specs.

Onkyo 706
    Dynamic Power: 240 W (3 ohms, 1 ch), 210 W (4 ohms, 1 ch), 120 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Onkyo 806
    Dynamic Power: 300 W (3 ohms, 1 ch), 250 W (4 ohms, 1 ch), 150 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Onkyo 876
    Dynamic Power: 320 W (3 ohms, 1 ch), 270 W (4 ohms, 1 ch), 160 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

Onkyo 906
    Dynamic Power: 400 W (3 ohms, 1 ch), 300 W (4 ohms, 1 ch), 180 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

I didn't see the 20-20kHz or even 1 kHz continuous power ratings published at 4 ohms. (8 ohm and some 6 ohm ratings were published.) So by inference are these specs more or less meaningless with respect to being adequate for a pair of LSi7's?

It would be interesting to find a good review that actually performed some measurements to confirm whether or not these Onkyos would actually be inadequate for 4 ohm speakers.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

The LSi7 isn't that hard to drive, it doesn't dip below 4 ohms.

Due to it dipping below 4 ohms, the LSi9 is a more difficult load.

There may be graphs of the 15 out there, but I couldn't find any with a quick search.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

xcapri - go ahead and put together that system and report back on your findings. It may sound absolutely fantabulous! Let us know, we love first hand reviews.

Face - agreed on the LSi7. I think any good quality amp/integrated from about 35 wpc on up will do a good job depending on the room and listening characteristics. I have a restored Marantz 2270 that has been modified to be good with 4 ohm speakers, and the LSi7's sounded very nice with it.
    Last edited by dkg999; 01-04-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    DKG999

Take another look at those specs. specifically the 1 channel driven. I don't know about you, but in MY real world, my SPEAKERS run in 2,3,5 channels! I NEVER run just one speaker.

It has been proven time & time again that the All Channels Driven number that Onkyo and others have published are out and out lies! So yes the info published is useless!

So needless to say if all you are running is 1 channel, the result might be impressive. But when you start running the 2-7 channels of info that is there to be played, the results are alot different.

My brother has the LSI 7's. He originally ran them with a 50wpc Rotel amplifier. Did it sound great? ABSOLUTELY! However, you could also fry an egg on top of amp after extended use a normal listening levels.

I doubt all that extra heat was doing anything good to the insides of that amp. So while others on here say go for a lower wpc amp for the 7's, I would say proceed at your own risk.

I note the Dynamic Power ratings for the Onkyos with THX certification from their specs.

Onkyo 706

Onkyo 806

Onkyo 876

Onkyo 906

I didn't see the 20-20kHz or even 1 kHz continuous power ratings published at 4 ohms. (8 ohm and some 6 ohm ratings were published.) So by inference are these specs more or less meaningless with respect to being adequate for a pair of LSi7's?

It would be interesting to find a good review that actually performed some measurements to confirm whether or not these Onkyos would actually be inadequate for 4 ohm speakers.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 01-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Onkyo 706

Onkyo 806

Onkyo 876

Onkyo 906

The Onkyo products will in fact drive the Lsi, I have done so many many times, however, what the expertdohahagurunoitallsuperduperaudiofolks of club Polk which I am happy to be associated with are saying is they will sound better with better amplification but then what speaker does not???

Carry on my wayward son.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (21)

I don't know about you, but in MY real world, my SPEAKERS run in 2,3,5 channels! I NEVER run just one speaker.
    That is because your a young hot chickie baby and never owned a transistor radio.

Twist and Shout.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by dkg999
    AudioAdvisor did have the NAD C720BEE receiver for $399. I have that receiver, and I have run my LSi7's and 9's with it. As far as SQ, I would rate it as significantly better than any H/K receiver I have ever listened to.
    I played around with a NAD C320BEE integrated amp rated at 50wpc and some LSi9s for a while and the NAD would drive them as loud as I wanted with no degredation of the SQ. Granted it was not in a huge room but the NAD at 50wpc was more that up to the task.

I would not hesitate to run the C720BEE with LSi7 and bet that it would be a sweet sounding rig!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    I would not hesitate to run the C720BEE with LSi7 and bet that it would be a sweet sounding rig!
    And you get an LFE out, plus a Zone 2 output, and a great tuna on the C720BEE. The C720BEE has pre-outs so you can add an external amp later, and still use the pre/tuner section. Great receiver, I've been really impressed with it. The remote lets you switch between A/B speaker outputs, so it's really good for comparing two sets of speakers.
    DKG999

Polk Customer Service

Well the LSi7's are an easier load than the 9s, 15s, 25s, C and FXs. They're closer to 6 ohm nominal, so the Onkyo (and all the other ones mentioned) will drive them fine.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio

:D ROTFLMAO!!!! Teddy, you are a riot! And I'm here to tell you that YES, in my early childhood, I DID own a transistor radio or 2!

I was quite shocked at how good stereo sounded!:D

Quote Originally Posted by reeltrouble1 View Post
    That is because your a young hot chickie baby and never owned a transistor radio.

Twist and Shout.

RT1

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    . . . I would not hesitate to run the C720BEE with LSi7 and bet that it would be a sweet sounding rig!
    NAD is the perfect case in point. NAD watts are understated as there is a huge high current power supply backing them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong View Post
    Well the LSi7's are an easier load than the 9s, 15s, 25s, C and FXs. They're closer to 6 ohm nominal, so the Onkyo (and all the other ones mentioned) will drive them fine.
    Thank you for confirming this. I'm glad we finally separated fact from opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    The LSi7 isn't that hard to drive, it doesn't dip below 4 ohms.

Due to it dipping below 4 ohms, the LSi9 is a more difficult load.

There may be graphs of the 15 out there, but I couldn't find any with a quick search.
    Thank you for confirming this.

Thread Information