Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default I'm on the fence but my sound is strange...

Ok whats up people???

I have a PS3 for my Blu ray player. I have it connected still to my Rotel rsp1068 VIA Optical as I don't have HDMI switching preamp yet. ( I have not locked in on the one I want yet). So I have been impressed with the PS3 up to until last night. I'll explain....

I have been Installing new speakers to me at my new job. I have been impressed with most of them, Paradigm and Def Tech mostly. I have listened to Spiderman 3 on Blu ray a few times and have been really impressed with the audio. So last night I wanted to hear my system play the same exact scene and compare to what I have been hearing in the field. O ****!!! what happened to my dynamic range it sounded like I had a NIGHT MODE or something. My system sounded very flat and lifeless like I was powering 4 ohm load speakers with a Denon receiver. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Something had to be setup incorrectly or there is a Night mode on and I don't know about it. No dynamics at all....
    So I search around in my setup and everything seems fine. I check the PS3 audio setup and everything is fine. I'm puzzled I can't figure out whats wrong. So For the sheer hell of it I put the PS3 in PCM and run the Rotel in PL2X and guess what?? All my dynamic range came back, my system sounded as it should or better put how I expect it to. Then I go back to Dolby Digital and it's flat again. I don't get it.
    I was tired after all that and decided not to mess with it anymore. Anyone else discover anything weird with the PS3 and optical out? Anything anyone thinks I missed?

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

There maybe a glich in the rotels ability to process what is comming through the optical in that mode. That would be the only thing that I would think it would be unless it is the PS3 fault in which case you could try hooking up another player and see if it does the samething.
    The real test would be to pack up your speakers and send them to me (because we have the same system) and I will test them for a while for you to make sure that it's not them after which you can buy them back (mabey) :D..

Dave

I read your other post about problems with your new X-box. Do you have everything going into the Rotel (sound/vid)? if so it might be the Rotel giving bad feeds (internally) to other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by dave shepard View Post
    I read your other post about problems with your new X-box. Do you have everything going into the Rotel (sound/vid)? if so it might be the Rotel giving bad feeds (internally) to other sources.
    Yeah dude the Rotel is my audio video hub. It controls everything in my system. All video and audio except the Ps3 is HDMI direct as the Rotel doesn't have HDMI abilities or that would be there as well.
    I have considered that and if thats the case, I'm all about replacing it. I would send it to Rotel to give a full Diag and repair anything to bring it back to spec so I could sell it and give someone a full functional awesome sounding preamp. It's been very good to me and I'm gonna unwire my system today. I love doing that anyway.
    The Video problems I gonna try to Isolate today by running HDMI straight to the Xbox direct to the tv and see if I get any Yellow colors. I'm also going to remove all gear except the Xbox and Ps3 since thats where my problems are.
    I sold my loved Pioneer Elite dv47a that I owned since brand new to a member in here and I put in my Denon dvd 2200 that I have and I'm just waiting for the replacement player. I want a CD/ SACD/DVD AUDIO player which does not need to be a DVD player but you can't find one thats not. I would go with a SACD / CD player from Sony ES but I will have to get one used as they don't make there High end models anymore from what I can see. I haven't looked into it yet as my time has been spent on getting a new preamp as you already know and I have not found "THE ONE" yet. I'm close on the B&K ref70. I may pull the trigger especially if my Rotel is going bad. That will suck but I will do what a Brother has to do.
    Dan

There maybe a glich in the rotels ability to process what is comming through the optical in that mode. That would be the only thing that I would think it would be unless it is the PS3 fault in which case you could try hooking up another player and see if it does the samething.
    The real test would be to pack up your speakers and send them to me (because we have the same system) and I will test them for a while for you to make sure that it's not them after which you can buy them back (mabey) :D..

Dave
    But if I do that then it would only be fair for me to except your speaker package and house them here so I could get a real Idea whats going on with my system. I wouldn't think of it letting you store all those beautiful speakers you own while you test mine out. I would be considered a bad friend at that point.

Dan;)
    Dan

I may have to just break down and buy a stand alone Blu ray player. We carry Pioneer Elite so I may pick up the 05 or kill it dead and buy the 09. I have already seen on a 110 inch screen the Ps3 be bettered by the Pioneer Elite on a Pioneer Elite Kuro Projector. it was noticable enough for me to want it.
    Hell I'm ready to just blow the entire system out and build a fully brand new one. I maybe single after that though....... decisions decisions....LOL
    Dan

I think this is the year we all have our problems hit us at one time early in the year. You have a number of problems hit you at once and so am I experiencing multiple problems at once although mine are not A/V related they have effected the video side in that I have to forget that upgrade for now. I sure hope the rest of the year goes smooth cause it would seem we are paying our dues early.

I think this is the year we all have our problems hit us at one time early in the year. You have a number of problems hit you at once and so am I experiencing multiple problems at once although mine are not A/V related they have effected the video side in that I have to forget that upgrade for now. I sure hope the rest of the year goes smooth cause it would seem we are paying our dues early.
    Call me later tonight if you wanna talk Bro. I should be free.

Dan
    Dan

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Dan, seriously consider the new Panasonic DMP-BD55--it's getting rave reviews, and about $399. They have addressed earlier audio problems and supposedly superioir SDVD upscaling/performance.

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (6)

A buddy of mine brought over his PS3 so I could check it out. I couldn't take advantage of full 1080p because my projector only does 1080i, but I still wanted to see Blu Ray. Anyways, I was using the optical from the player to my Rotel 1068. But, I couldn't get DD to come up at all. All I could get was pro logic c I believe. I usually listen to DD EX, which I prefer. I don't know if it was the player or the Rotel that was the problem. I think the movie was Darknight. The movie had already started before I noticed it was in pro logic, so I didn't tinker with it too much because everyone was into the movie.

ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

HDMI is better for PS3 or any blu-ray player. This might why DD is not working becuz its not hooked up via hdmi?

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

On the PS3 make sure Dynamic Range Control is turned off.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I use a PS3 for blu-ray and with HDMI the sound is spectacular. I only recently switched my AV receiver from a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TXi to a Yamaha 6160. I wanted the ability to process the newer codecs Dolby Digital HD and DTS Master HD. I was worried it would be a step down but the Yammy really suprised me in a positive way. Anyway the sound with the Pio Elite was really good too. The new HD sound is better but I never had a complaint when using the optical out. Very dynamic. I don't think it's the PS3.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    I use a PS3 for blu-ray and with HDMI the sound is spectacular. The new HD sound is better but I never had a complaint when using the optical out. Very dynamic. I don't think it's the PS3.
    I second. PS3 is a great way to enjoy all tht Blu-Ray has to offer.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

The symtom the OP describes is what you would hear with HDMI if DRC on the PS3 was turned on.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    HDMI is better for PS3 or any blu-ray player. This might why DD is not working becuz its not hooked up via hdmi?
    Not true, DD will and should work with toslink or dig coax.

My PS3 is hooked up via toslink for audio and I have no issues receiving DD. What we can do, if you wish is list the settings and you can compare?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I did have this happen to me with my ps3 once, and I also thought it was very strange. I changed to PCM and it was mostly f ixed although it did seem a little strange. Rebooted and then everything was fine... I'm not sure about the dynamic range thing- but either way it would be weird for it to just turn off/on by itself without him changing that setting himself.

It's possible that your audio settings got messed up somehow. The one way I can immagine that happening is that turning the ps3 off (putting it in standby i mean) by hand requires that you leave your finger on the button for a few seconds. But to totally reset the ps3 back to default, you do the same thing- just leaving your finger on a little longer. I had it happen to me once or twice where I left my finger on too long and reset to default.

If your picture was still in high def, then that probably wasn't what happened, but might be a possibility.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sounds like its time for an Elite 05/07 mantis. I'm sure you could get a great deal on one if you wanted to go that route. If you have power amps, use it as a pre/pro.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    Sounds like its time for an Elite 05/07 mantis. I'm sure you could get a great deal on one if you wanted to go that route. If you have power amps, use it as a pre/pro.
    I have considered it so many times. I'm still considering.

I worked on my xbox 360 problem today and got that solved. I didn't even turn on the Ps3 to dig into that. I had stuff to do and the Eagles where on so my time was spent.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Not true, DD will and should work with toslink or dig coax.

My PS3 is hooked up via toslink for audio and I have no issues receiving DD. What we can do, if you wish is list the settings and you can compare?
    DD is working over Optical and so does DTS but what is happening is my dynamic range is in the toilet. When things go on, the system response is like when you put on the night mode which limits dynamic range. It's the first time since I owned this system I experienced this problem.
    Dan

Thread Information