Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Screen Height for Front Projection HT

What is the "Ideal" or recommended height for the screen in a front projection system? Our screen will be 80" and the viewing distance will be about 11 or 12 feet. Is it OK to be above eye level, or should we try to get it down lower? I'm trying to decide how much of an extender I will need for the ceiling mount, and also what type of stand (how high) I can use to hold the electronics up front and still fit beneath the screen.

I have seen recommendations for the bottom of the screen to be at eye level in the seated position, or eye level to be 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen (that seems a bit low to me, especially for a guy who wears a progressive lens). Anyone have any personal experience with this who can help me out? Thanks in advance.

ps not sure if this is the best section for this question, but it seemed like basic setup to me.:p
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

Another question I just thought of as I was playing with the projector placement calculator-- It gives a minimum projection distance of 9.75 feet (which would actually then put it in front of the seating area, and a maximum distance of 12.15 feet, which would be right about above the seating range.

I haven't used the projector yet, so I don't know for sure, but I understand it is relatively quiet (InFocus SP 7210), but are there other considerations for the placement, such as whether it is better to set the zoom at maximum vs minimum, or stray light from the projector interfering with viewing?

I tried searching for some of this info over at avs forum, but their search didn't give much as far as results for such newb/basic questions. I think they are all WAY beyond my level over there. I figured this stuff would be easy for Mantis or some of you other guys. Thanks in advance.

Tom
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

Bump.

Any help?

Polk Customer Service
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

I have a 92" at home- it's OK to have a little bit above eye height- also keep in mind your seating. If you're reclining at all, you're going to be looking 'up" at the screen, but it will still be at eye height...
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong View Post
    I have a 92" at home- it's OK to have a little bit above eye height- also keep in mind your seating. If you're reclining at all, you're going to be looking 'up" at the screen, but it will still be at eye height...
    +1

The InFocus projector you have is VERY flexible with regards to placement too, so you should have no problems doing the above.

My setup looks like this:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70062
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Eye level should be 1/3 up from the bottom. The closer the projector, the brighter the picture will be. Regardless, 12 feet with the 7210 will work fine.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

Thread Information