Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Default Secrets' Emotiva XPA-1 review

In case anybody is interested, a review of Emotiva's Differential Reference Monoblock amplifier, the XPA-1 , has just been posted at Secret's of Home Theatre and High Fidelity.

[/QUOTE]

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

sa-sa-sa-seeeeeexy :)
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands

Member Sales Rating: (41)

MMadden28, the xpa1 mono's must be in your future.

^ hm the future must be now... hehe
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands

Member Sales Rating: (14)

This company builds beautiful gear. Even if it didn't sound good, I would be interested in looking at it
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

An excellent and balanced review!
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Emotiva is great, but if you have really sensitive speakers like me, the high gain will raise your noise floor and become a nuisance if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

I never owned the XPA-1, but I have owned the XPA-2. The dynamics were the best my system had ever seen at the time.

I gotta stop reading stuff about Emotiva. That UPA-7 keeps calling my name!

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    MMadden28, the xpa1 mono's must be in your future.
    Already got a pair on New Years Eve ;)

And No I haven't really had a chance to play with them yet :( but I did get them out of the box :D, well OK one is still in the plastic :o

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    An excellent and balanced review!
    Yeah, I only wish he was able to do a comparison with the XPA-2. I think he compared mostly with the RPA-1 IIRC.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

One line I got a huge kick out of.....................

Unlike some “statement” amps by other manufacturers that are mostly empty inside, the XPA-1’s chassis is absolutely crammed with components.

What a stupid thing to say. Crammed with components doesn't mean anything except it's has lots of parts in the signal path and is complicated, not that it plays or sounds better.

The one cool thing is the "differential" part of the design rather than just using the 2 half's of the amp in a typical "bridged" output type of design.

Kudos for the price point and the apparent build quality. I am suspect that perhaps this reviewer (as he stated in the first paragraph) is a fanboy. Still if it sounds 1/2 as good as he states it looks like a very good piece and great price.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I still can't get over those binding posts.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Yeah..............those would be a HUGE PITA!!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

That's madness.
    Currently listening to:

Marantz SR5004
    Sony BDP-S370
    Apple TV V2
    Audio Technica AT-LP120
    Mirage CMD-5 x 5
    Bic H-100

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I would think if a person is going to drop 2K the LED/meters not being in cal would not pass it off as ok. Only for show? Come on give me break.

I'm not sure what Wireworld Speaker cables he is using but I'd be upset to have to send in a 1K+ cable to be reterminated at my cost.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

Price-wise, I've been thinking about getting the XPA-5 and XPA-3 as well as the UMC-1 (releasing soon). I really like the look of them, but I am a bit hesitant to purchase sight unseen/sound unheard.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    Already got a pair on New Years Eve ;)

And No I haven't really had a chance to play with them yet :( but I did get them out of the box :D, well OK one is still in the plastic :o

What kind of speakers are you going to run with those mono blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    This company builds beautiful gear. Even if it didn't sound good, I would be interested in looking at it
    haha thats funny :D

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

I'm not sure what Wireworld Speaker cables he is using but I'd be upset to have to send in a 1K+ cable to be reterminated at my cost.
    You could probably bi-wire using the existing terminations. Run -- on one wire and ++ on the other... and remember to pair the leads correctly when you get to the speaker.

Of course, then you'd have $2k+ cable coming from your $999 amp...

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Why would they do that? You have to pretty much use lamp cord wire....weird.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Mick View Post
    Why would they do that? You have to pretty much use lamp cord wire....weird.
    Or custom wire . . . which most any high-end or custom wire manufacturer can do. Perhaps they just assumed people who would be interested in their reference amp would be running custom wire.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Or custom wire . . . which most any high-end or custom wire manufacturer can do. Perhaps they just assumed people who would be interested in their reference amp would be running custom wire.
    Hi end amp....................where, not in this thread. I know of many many other higher end amps that have std speaker terminal width, so I'd say probably not the case of having "custom" speaker cables made.

I'd call it an oddity.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

What if you already have fancy custom wire?

IMO, that was a huge mistake on their part.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Maybe they plan on introducing their own custom speaker cables.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Member Sales Rating: (19)

You can build a neat binding post extension out of coat hanger wire and duct tape! That'll solve the problem.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

What kind of speakers are you going to run with those mono blocks?
    For now? The LSi9's. I might try them out on the RTi12's though. Who knows what the future holds for speakers-at least I'll be ready ;):D My guess though is that I probably won't be able to discern a difference between the XPA-2 and the XPA-1's at this point. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by dkg999 View Post
    You can build a neat binding post extension out of coat hanger wire and duct tape! That'll solve the problem.
    That's my plan :p

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    For now? The LSi9's. I might try them out on the RTi12's though. Who knows what the future holds for speakers-at least I'll be ready ;):D My guess though is that I probably won't be able to discern a difference between the XPA-2 and the XPA-1's at this point. We'll see.

That's my plan :p

Have you thought about some SDA's?

Have you thought about some SDA's?
    Have I thought about SDA's...(he said, with repeated sarcasm) ;)

Of course, and I've never even heard them. The opportunities just keep slipping past me. I'm in deep caca right now anyway for getting the amps. I even stayed home to sign for them. Little did I know my Mother-in-Law would be there. I overslept and she signed for them, then blabbered to my wife that I bought more stuff.. Ya know she never would ave known .

Yeah I can't be bringing any behemoths in here right now. Of course if the right opportunity came along...;)

I dont mind some lights but too many is a bit on the gimmicky side for me, I did look at these before deciding on the Verastarr and a lot of it came down to the lights, fussy.......probably but aren't we all a bit fussy with regard to our 'little affair' with our systems.

Except that you can turn the lights completely off and make them disappear.........simple.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Thread Information