Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Amplifier Suggestions?

Hi - pretty new to the boards, L-O-V-E Polk speakers. I'm putting together my second home theater (moved and left the old one in the old house as a selling point, and the theater literally sold the house, but I miss my Monitor60's) in my basement, and I need a little guidance in the area of home theater amplifiers.

Here is what I'm planning on running in my 16x25 room:
    Onkyo TS-SR876
    Polk Lc265i fronts
    Polk LciC center
    Polk Lc80i rear surrounds and center (6.1 setup)
    TheaterSolutions TSRT500 12" sub
    PS3 for BluRay
    Monster Power HTS 3600 MkII for power
    Samsung PN50A450 50" Plasma
    Sanyo PLV-Z2000 projector w/ 106" HDTV format screen

The Polks are all 4ohm, and I've been reassured by memebers of the board and Onkyo that the 876 is, and I quote, "a beast" that should have no problem pushing the Lc series speakers. But some have suggested that getting additional amplification will only help bring the most out of the Lc's. With that in mind, what are some choices for amplifiers that could work well with this set-up. Space is no issue, but price would be - I'd like to keep total "amplification" under $1500 total.

Thanks, all!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Welcome Jeeper. Outlaw Audio & Emotiva are good bang for the buck amp makers, that would make your speakers sing.

Other companies that make good amps are Rotel, Parasound, Sunfire, B & K, NAD, Adcom.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

for affordable solutions like cfrizz said outlaw and Emotiva are excellent options.

If you want to spend a little more, look for a used sunfire. Those amps are effin beasts of power. They can double their power as the impedence drops as well. They are built like tanks, but not overly heavy.
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands

Member Sales Rating: (41)

+1 for Rotel

Ditto on the Sunfire. Cool running with great results.
    Oppo bdp 93 Blue Ray
    Integra DTR-80-2
    Polk LSi9s (mains)
    Polk LSiC (center)
    Polk LSiFXs (surrounds)
    Sub SVS 20-39+
    Samsung 60" Led 3-d
    Blue Jean Cables

+1 for Emotiva
    Samsung-55 LED
    Denon 3808ci
    RTi A5 (Fronts)
    CSi A6 (Center)
    FXi 5 (Rears)
    Velodyne DPS-12 (Sub)
    EMOTIVA XPA-5 :D:p;):)

From what I have read, heard and used all of these suggestions are good. Just depends on how much $$$ you have to spend.

Would this be a good example of an amp I could use in my set-up? http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Outlaw-7075-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Or, I just looked at the Emotiva UPA-7 7-channel on their site - holy lord it's pretty, and only $549! - Anyone ever hook one of these up? Any good?

I suppose I also need patch-cable reccomendations for hooking the rca pre-outs on the Onk876 to the amp - I am new to the universe of amplification, so be kind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Welcome Jeeper. Outlaw Audio & Emotiva are good bang for the buck amp makers, that would make your speakers sing.

Other companies that make good amps are Rotel, Parasound, Sunfire, B & K, NAD, Adcom.
    Last edited by jeeper_nick; 01-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I got an XPA-5 that replaced a pair of Carver m1.0t the amp is well engineered no complaints. I also at one time had a Rotel 5 channel amp older model and this one is simply better but in all fairness the Rotel had less wattage but the Rotel new did cost a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper_nick View Post
    Would this be a good example of an amp I could use in my set-up? http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Outlaw-7075-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Or, I just looked at the Emotiva UPA-7 7-channel on their site - holy lord it's pretty, and only $549! - Anyone ever hook one of these up? Any good?

I suppose I also need patch-cable reccomendations for hooking the rca pre-outs on the Onk876 to the amp - I am new to the universe of amplification, so be kind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

+1 for Outlaw
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83

Which is PRECISELY why I have one!!!:D Check my signature!:D

Quote Originally Posted by bigred7078 View Post
    If you want to spend a little more, look for a used sunfire. Those amps are effin beasts of power. They can double their power as the impedence drops as well. They are built like tanks, but not overly heavy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Again it all boils down to how much money you want to spend. I like Blue Jeans Cables. www.bluejeanscable.com

The guys here will tell you to purchase Signal Cable, cause the guy that makes them has supported CP members, but it's more expensive. www.signalcable.com

Or you could go to www.monoprice.com and get what you need there at lower prices.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

... I suppose I also need patch-cable reccomendations for hooking the rca pre-outs on the Onk876 to the amp - I am new to the universe of amplification, so be kind!!!
    What you are looking for are IC, or inter connect cables. These are analog (not digital, which are coaxial, but they look very similar). They're really just the same as your usual stereo RCA connection cables, if I am not mistaken. Here is a link to the Signal Cable page. You will not be using the "balanced" versions.

http://signalcable.com/analog_interconnects.html

You will need one cable per channel, so five cables for a five channel amplifier, or seven cables for a seven channel amplifier (but only if you are actually using all seven channels). They only need to be long enough to get from the Onkyo to your amplifier of choice without tugging at the connectors, but be prepared for possible heat management issues with the Onkyo which may require you to relocate it, and you will also have to check if it will be acceptable to place the Onkyo on top of the amplifier, for instance, if you intended to do so (this is frequently possible, but not always). Onkyo owners may add information about their experiences with this particular aspect.

Don't forget a similar type of cable for your subwoofer(s), which will usually need to be much longer.

Someone will correct me soon enough if more information is needed to clarify anything!

For the money I think the XPA-5 is tough to beat. Good luck...

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'm thinking of a Rotel RMB1075. I'm thinking this is your ticket but then I have visions of you owning a RMB1085. Newer Hotness and smaller shelf space.

HMMMMMM

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Thread Information