Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default MicroPro 1000 vs Velodyne SPL-1000

There are some killer deals going on from some of the polk authorized online retailers on the MicroPro 1000. I can get a Velodyne SPL-1000 for a pretty good price as well.

Opinions? Experiences?

I don't see a ton about either one on here. I've tried to ask some opinions on posts here where I notice someone owns one, but I have'nt gotten many responses. Is it my breath?:o
    Slowly emerging from the 90's
    Fronts: Polk LSi15's
    Center: Polk CS350ls
    Pre: Sony STRDA555ES
    Amp: Rotel RMB-1075
    Sub: Velodyne SPL-1000
    TV: 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
    Dust magnet: Sony PS3

If there isn't much difference in price, I would recommend the Velo. Haven't had much experience with the Velo's but if there is one category where Polk is slightly behind it is in the sub department. I have a PWS125, which is far from Polk's "top of the line" but it does well in my setup. I am happy with it, but again if there isn't much difference in price I would go with the Velo.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Quote Originally Posted by timlitton View Post
    I don't see a ton about either one on here. I've tried to ask some opinions on posts here where I notice someone owns one, but I have'nt gotten many responses. Is it my breath?:o
    Really? Velodyne appears to be one of the hotter topics lately on these boards. Might be the breath. LOL

Seriously - I cant speak to MicroPro 1000, but I own the SPL 1200 and a few others also have one (or two I believe). In any case ( as I dangerously speak for us all ) I think its safe to say that we are satisfied.

So, what do you get with a SPL 1000/1200? You get tight, accurate bass across a wide range of low frequencies in a small footprint. Its a bit more expensive than other retail brands, and isn't known for being extremely loud (for that, many recommend SVS).
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

There's only one person I know of (in Club Polk) that has a MicroPro, but it's a 4000.

I think they are so new, it's going to be hard to get any comparo's.

I'm itching to get new sub(s) and just can't nail down which one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Jam View Post
    Really? Velodyne appears to be one of the hotter topics lately on these boards. Might be the breath. LOL
    Yeah, it's not hard to find a thread on "Velodyne." There were only 15 or so for the SPL-1000.

It's equally as hard to find many for the MicroPro 1000.

I agree traditionally Polk has been lacking as far as the subs go, but I've heard only good things about the MicroPro line. I was just curious to hear what other owners (if there are any) on CP have to say.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I'm a Micropro 4000 owner and it's by far the best sub I've heard from Polk. If I could compare it to any other sub it would be the Velo's. Very tight and accurate bass. I went with the micropro over Epik and SVS because of the small footprint.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I think that's the problem...seriously man...toothbrush! Use it!...:p j/k

I've never heard either one myself, but the MicroPro 3000 and 4000 are both excellent sounding subs.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I'm a Micropro 4000 owner and it's by far the best sub I've heard from Polk. If I could compare it to any other sub it would be the Velo's. Very tight and accurate bass. I went with the micropro over Epik and SVS because of the small footprint.
    Nice set up!

I heard that Polk put a lot of R&D into these subs and went directly after manufacturers like Velodyne, so I'm not surprised to hear that they sound so good.

Would like to hear one though. Does anyone know who carries these in store! Tweeter had a few but they're no longer around.

cnh

Going back to the OP's comments on the deals currently available;

Velo SPL-1000 (10") - $700

Polk MicroPro 1000 (8") - $380

In terms of HT; is this Velo twice as "good"? How would two Polk's compare to the one Velo?

Member Sales Rating: (25)

I have the Micropro 3000 and love it, I can not say how it compares to Velo, but it makes me wonder how it could be better. Mine will shake the house with a movie, and play tight dep bass with music, no boom, with the current limiter, I have yet to hear it bottom out or run out of juice (duh! it has a a circuit to prevent those things) The room opimizer really works well, what's not to like.

Polk did work really hard to bring up the subwoofer line, and I think they really hit the mark.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I was looking at the Micropro 1000 for music only but also was wondering if the driver was too small for HT. They're not considered loud subs but they'll hit hard.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Running "dual" SPL-1200R's myself. I must say they have transformed my listening experience for both HT & 2 channel listening. I don't have any experience with Polk subs so I can't comment.

I have a review w/ pics in the two channel forum, take a quick peek.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

I think that the Micropro 1000 fits that niche of the small footprint, nice looking, decent sounding, but not great sub. My guess is that it beats anything from Bose.

For small room or bedroom or apartment systems it my be a good choice/compromise. Particularly when the alternative is your HTiB or Bose system. Polk in their advertisement says that, "The DSW1000 is finished in satin black and may be painted to match room décor."

It is a nice little sub for a dorm room I would say. You could paint it to hide it or blend it into the room.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    I think that the Micropro 1000 fits that niche of the small footprint, nice looking, decent sounding, but not great sub. My guess is that it beats anything from Bose.

For small room or bedroom or apartment systems it my be a good choice/compromise. Particularly when the alternative is your HTiB or Bose system. Polk in their advertisement says that, "The DSW1000 is finished in satin black and may be painted to match room décor."

It is a nice little sub for a dorm room I would say. You could paint it to hide it or blend it into the room.
    Are you basing your review on experiece or intuition based on size? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a sub solely on dimensions as the Velodyne SPL series is small, as is the Sunfire True series.

iv heard nothing but good things about velvo

Okay, it beats Bose, now there's an endorsement (j/k)....

I have 2800cf room. Back right side has a 8'x7' opening.

Would either dual MicroPro 1000's or a single SPL-1000R have what it takes for HT? I ask this combo because it totals about the same price.

Or a single SVS PB12-NSD ($600).

for music, dual subs all the way
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Are you basing your review on experiece or intuition based on size? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a sub solely on dimensions as the Velodyne SPL series is small, as is the Sunfire True series.
    Bingo. The Micropro series fits into the same niche as the Velodyne SPL and Sunfire True series. They are obvious direct competitors.

There is only so much a small sub can do, despite the glitzy ads. All other things being equal, with subs bigger is usually better. They just take up more space and in small rooms that can be a problem. Velodyne and Sunfire makes great small subs. Sounds like Polk now does too. Isn't competition great!
    I would love to see a shoot out review of the three.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-19-2009 at 10:55 PM.

no replacement for displacement.

hmmmm, where have I heard that before?

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon2 View Post
    Okay, it beats Bose, now there's an endorsement (j/k)....
    It is always good to inject a little humor, but seriously, many people are buying Bose because it is small and "easy to hide".

The quality smaller speakers and subwoofers offered by Polk and other quality manufacturers offer good Bose and HTiB alternatives for the general public who are not necessarily "keeners" like us.

no replacement for displacement.

hmmmm, where have I heard that before?
    Yeah I miss my Mustang and it's 302 cu. in. That is 5.0L to the newbies.:D
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-19-2009 at 11:06 PM.

I have 2800cf room. Back right side has a 8'x7' opening.

Would either dual MicroPro 1000's or a single SPL-1000R have what it takes for HT? I ask this combo because it totals about the same price.

Or a single SVS PB12-NSD ($600).
    SVS PB12-NSD ($600)
    +/-3dB 18Hz-200hz anechoic extension
    Size: 18" wide x 21" high x 25" deep. Weight: 74 pounds

There is no replacement for displacement.
    See the low end spec and compare.

a lot of "facts" being thrown around here, and nobody has even heard a micro 1000
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier21 View Post
    a lot of "facts" being thrown around here, and nobody has even heard a micro 1000
    Unfortunately, that's the case, so all we have to go on are the specs listed in the websites.

No store near me carries any of these subs.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

just to throw a wrench in the works....i demo'd a 15inch cerwin vega sub at a "high end" h/t retailer yesterday...that thing just about ripped my face off...my wife said no!

Amen.

Yeah I miss my Mustang and it's 302 cu. in. That is 5.0L to the newbies.:D
    There actually is a replacement for displacement: Inspired engineering.

The 1987 (the highest horsepower 5.0 of the "fox" body generation) was a 5.0-liter V8 that made a 225 horsepower. The "5.0 Mustang" had reached it's peak and would remain mechanically unchanged through 1993.

The 2009 Suburu WRX Sti produces 305-hp from a 2.5-liter turbocharged boxer 4 cylinder engine. Or about 35% more horsepower from half the engine displacement.

I'm not bashing the Mustang because frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the new WRX body style.

But to discount something based on generalities isn't always the best idea. Is it generally true? Probably. Is it always true? Definitely not.

If you have read something you'd like to share or have first hand experience with either of these subs, then I encourage you to share. But I don't want generalities like "I think that the Micropro 1000" and "My guess is" or "it my be" and "I would say"... when you haven't heard it.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

good analogy.

Amen.

There actually is a replacement for displacement: Inspired engineering.

The 1987 (the highest horsepower 5.0 of the "fox" body generation) was a 5.0-liter V8 that made a 225 horsepower. The "5.0 Mustang" had reached it's peak and would remain mechanically unchanged through 1993.

The 2009 Suburu WRX Sti produces 305-hp from a 2.5-liter turbocharged boxer 4 cylinder engine. Or about 35% more horsepower from half the engine displacement.

I'm not bashing the Mustang because frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the new WRX body style.

But to discount something based on generalities isn't always the best idea. Is it generally true? Probably. Is it always true? Definitely not.

If you have read something you'd like to share or have first hand experience with either of these subs, then I encourage you to share. But I don't want generalities like "I think that the Micropro 1000" and "My guess is" or "it my be" and "I would say"... when you haven't heard it.
    Generally its torque not horsepower that counts and it's nice to have an engine that lasts for a couple of hundred thousand miles too. Too many rice rockets and Bimmers ate my Mustangs dust. But those were the bad old days.

Anyways, with respect to the Micropro1000, or Sunfire or Velo SPL, less than one cu. ft. volume and an 8" driver can only get you so far my friend. Good engineering can optimize performance and push the envelope, but there are limitations and compromises with a small subwoofer design. It's in the physics of sound.

My point kinda slipped right by you there, didn't it....

Member Sales Rating: (11)

go to any of polk dealer, get one...try it in your home/setup

like it, keep it if not return it within 30 days :)
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612

Thread Information