Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Exclamation dsw microPro 4000 rattling cover

I recently bought a micropro 4000 subwoofer, and i adore it, but i have one problem. the plastic dust cover on the front firing speaker constantly makes an annoying rattling noise. is there any way to remove it without damaging the subwoofer?

Thanks, Sam :D
    Last edited by shadow4900870; 01-27-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Sam, that's a relatively new sub and I can say for sure that I haven't run across anybody who has had that issue before. Are you 100% positive it's the dust cover and not something else?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

im not positive its the dust cover, but every time it hits a hard beat, theres some sort of loud clacking sound. it sounds like it's bottoming out, but i know its not because it never looses any sound output. if anyone knows what could be causing this, please help. it such a burden i cant even use my sub.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Check the lower passive radiator. I noticed with my rig the passive sometimes hit the carpet during music peaks. Does it do it consistently or just sometimes. Find out where you're hearing it and replay that same point but with the sub turned down lower and see if it still does it.

Daggum Lee, how loud do you play your sub man? The lower passive hits the floor?!!?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

i checked. nothings hitting, and it does it constantly whenever its turned up all the way..... which is always :D

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Daggum Lee, how loud do you play your sub man? The lower passive hits the floor?!!?
    extra plush carpet:D

I also noticed that noise at times. It's not a loose dust cap. I've noticed it when playing a couple movies like the hulk. Turn it down. The thing about the 4000 is it hits hard but it's not loud like a ported sub so many people try to compensate by turning it up all the way or close to it.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

What kind of flooring? Put some weight on it and try again (you can sit on it ...easiest way to check). Probably noise is from the sub jumping around.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I also noticed that noise at times. It's not a loose dust cap. I've noticed it when playing a couple movies like the hulk. Turn it down. The thing about the 4000 is it hits hard but it's not loud like a ported sub so many people try to compensate by turning it up all the way or close to it.

that gave me an idea. has anyone tried to turn a micropro into a ported sub? by like, putting a hole in the casing?

My first thought would be.......I wouldn't advise it. The characteristics will change dramatically. I would advise contacting Polk CS when they are open to get the juice from the horses mouth. ;)

ill try CS. thx treitz3. if you want to try and recreate the sound, play some heavy bass music, and push on the front speaker to hold it still. maybe the timing's off on my sub?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow4900870 View Post
    that gave me an idea. has anyone tried to turn a micropro into a ported sub? by like, putting a hole in the casing?

I'm sure Polk put plenty of time in thinking about the makeup of this new series sub and they chose sealed with a passive radiator for a reason.

One other thing, what do you have you sub crossed at? I noticed when I was running it crossed high(100-120hz) I notice that cone noise at higher volumes but at lower points( 60-80hz) it doesn't do it at all. Just a thought.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

A passive radiator is a fancy port.

Thanks leroyjr1, you just solved my problem. i had my pass at 120. i moved it down to 60 and now it sounds great. :D
    Last edited by shadow4900870; 01-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Not to derail this thread but I thought the DSW Micro Pro had a slot loaded port and was not sealed. I was hoping it was sealed as I have been thinking about trying a sealed sub.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

No ports. Air tight
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 01-27-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

All Micropros have a squarelike sewn-edge membrane passive radiator on their bottom.

In that sense they are sealed. As someone mentioned above it's a bad idea to tamper with the lack of a bass reflex port. Polk engineers know something about what they're doing here.

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by MADGSF View Post
    Not to derail this thread but I thought the DSW Micro Pro had a slot loaded port and was not sealed. I was hoping it was sealed as I have been thinking about trying a sealed sub.
    The dsw series is slot ported not the dsw micropro series.

Thanks going to try to check one of these out, if I can find anyone with a good Polk selection here. I want to see how it compares to my PC Ultra.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Polk Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    A passive radiator is a fancy port.
    Yup.

No ports. Air tight
    Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    All Micropros have a squarelike sewn-edge membrane passive radiator on their bottom.

In that sense they are sealed. As someone mentioned above it's a bad idea to tamper with the lack of a bass reflex port. Polk engineers know something about what they're doing here.

cnh
    Not quite- passive radiator is a form of a vented box. The passive radiator has a weight attached to it- long story short, that weight is about the equivalent of the weight of air in a conventional port. Is should not be considered a sealed box.

The dsw series is slot ported not the dsw micropro series.
    Correct.
    Last edited by Eric W; 01-28-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio

Thread Information