Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modifications

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Question Modifications

Gentlemen,

It has finally happened, I am growing confident enough to tear things open and start fiddeling with the parts. Getting my LSi driver to stop rattling has given me a bout of confidence.

I am now looking towards the possibility of upgrade pieces of equipment I already own, specifically the LSi's and the Rotel.

Unfortuantely, I know not where to begin except replacing the binding posts on the Rotel...

Any suggestions on how to modify these products? This is a relatively vague question but I welcome any advice or suggestions, especially the "how-to's".

Sean

Member Sales Rating: (40)

I would start by 'modifying' your source. Ie, get a good cd player (kinda like the AMC you USED to have).
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

What was wrong with the LSi driver?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Member Sales Rating: (40)

He over-drove it, with his 'stock' amp. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Stronzo

Damn it Russ, crawl back into your hole..... NOW!

Hoosier21,

I have absolutely no clue. I took the driver out, made sure the connections were secure (not loose), nothing was rubbing up against it. Idiotically gently pressed on the voice coil, which is nearly hollow.... I put it back in, and no problems anymore. Perhaps it was just some loose screw (although there were none before I took it out???)

Hey - I can't complain.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I'm starting the afternoon shift Monday and can do some research and finding of stuff that I've come across.

In a nutshell:
    Vibration isolation - Any component (speaker or electronic) will benefit from this. There's mass loading, floating, etc.

Wires/cables - There are ferrite rings that can be applied to any cable to reduce/cancel RFI & EMI. Sometimes some sheeting or a single strand leg can be used to shield them.

Speakers - With the LSi you can't really tweak the drivers, but you MIGHT be able to improve the crossover. There are tweaks to be made to the stands (ie. more mass, better spikes, better spike vibration isolation, rigidity tweaks.

Electronics - Somebody on this site suggested by-passing the op-amp on a CD player. Ive also seen a mod that replaced the ribbon found in many CD players with dedicated wires.

Room treatments - Big ballpark here. Anything from hard to soft, bumps to nulls.
    Make it Funky! :)

Stronzo

Gidrah,

Thank you for the input. I am still quite interested in little tweaks concerning replacing posts on the amp's and what-not.

My speaker stands are about as good as they come. Nice heavy bottom pillar, the stand, with some cloth for stability and to prevent scratching on the bottom of the laquor. When the speakers are going, there is next to no vibration felt on the stands.

I would be interested in hearing about possible cd player tweaks. I am shooting for the AMC CD6B.., at the moment.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Make it Funky! :)

Thread Information